Default FAQ For New Members (not a Must-Read, but it sure does help!)

Welcome to the Privateer Press Forums!

We're happy you're here and hope you'll be so for a long time, adding to the overall community that we've been building for quite some time.

Now then, as a new forumite, you're sure to have lots of questions. It's alright. We were all new once and know that sometimes one can get lost in all the options. So here's a little handy FAQ/Road Map for the forums.

#1: Where should I start as a new member?

If you're reading this, you're already in the New Member's Forum, which is great. This part of the forums is specifically designed for you to get your feet wet. Feel free to ask any questions you've got, no matter how "noobish" you feel they may be. We're happy to help as best we can.

#2: What sort of stuff do I need to start playing?

We generally recommend that players start out with the Battlebox Starters. Each faction has one available. Once assembled, they're ready-to-play armies all their own that can be played against other Battleboxes. It also contains a Quick-Start Rules poster with the basics of the game. So with just a single purchase, you can get started right away. From there, it's best to pick up the main rulebook for the game (Primal MkII for Hordes. Prime MkII for Warmachine). Beyond that, there are the Forces Of: books that are designed to give you all the information you need for your faction, including background fluff, Theme army lists, painting guides and more!

#3: Ok, that's all good, but what army should I play?

That's a very difficult question for us to answer. However, there are resources at your disposal that can aid you in your quest. The first two are pinned right next to this thread here. They're the Hordes and Warmachine Faction Descriptions:
    Hordes Faction Guildes
    Warmachine Faction Guides
    The next-best places to look are the individual Community forums for each faction. Look over the threads and the army builds there and you can get a good idea of how each faction plays. From there, you can probably find a faction that best-fits your ideas of what you want to play.
    Warmachine And Hordes Faction Communities

#4: What about painting? How do I paint my figs and do I have to paint them any particular way?

We have a potion of the forums entirely dedicated to the assembly and painting of your miniatures. Pinned at the top are several very handy threads that can help you locate tutorial sites or other useful information in getting you started.
    You are free to paint your models any which way you like. Just browse through the threads in the M&M forum and you'll see a plethora of individual color schemes that can inspire you.
    Modeling And Painting Forum

#5: Ok, I've got an army. I've got them painted. Where do I find others to play against?

There are a couple places you can look to find other gamers in your area. The first is the Privateer Community and Game Clubs section of the forums. Many area stores or groups have put threads here and with a quick search, you can probably find one near you.
    Privateer Community And Gaming Clubs
    Another way is by looking for your local Press Gang Member. PGs are the volunteer representatives for PPS and are in charge of organizing local Leagues and Tournaments and will be happy to help you out getting acquainted with the groups in your area.
    Press Gang Locator

#6: I've heard about the Press Gang, but what is it, exactly?

As mentioned above, Press Gangers are the volunteer representatives for PPS. They're there to help run the gaming community local to them. Finding one near you is a great way to get involved in the Warmachine/Hordes group in your area.

#7: So I'm here. I'm part of the Community. I want to keep it that way. Is there anything I shouldn't do while here?

There are rules here, as with any forum. We like to keep things lighthearted and friendly. My good friend Josh has already posted a bit of a primer for this sort of thing. It can be found at the following URL: Privateer Forum Rules Primer

#8: I had a rules question in my last game. Where should I ask it to get an answer?

Well, you can either ask it here or down in the Rules Forum. Up here, we're happy to answer any question if you feel it's a bit "noobish" or even if it's complex. Worse comes to worse, if you ask up here and it doesn't seem like something that should go up here, we'll move it down to the Rules Forum.
    The Rules Forum is inhabited by many helpful forumites who are there to get you the right answer. Among them you'll find Infernals (they've got purple screen names). Those are the fully-official rules-answerers for PPS. If they say an answer to a question, you can guarantee it's correct. However, they're not going to come in to every thread and say something. The vast majority of questions won't need their input, so they won't reply, especially if they see that a correct answer has already been given. So don't go in there calling for one to answer your question specifically, as it probably won't happen, but be assured that if they are needed to answer something, they will.
    Warmachine and Hordes Rules Forum

#9: Is there anything more?

Sure! There's plenty more. If you're artisically-inclined, there's a Fan Art section. If you're interested in building terrain for your games, there's the Terrain section. If you're into games like Grind and Infernal Contraption, there's a section for that, too. The forums encompass just about everything Iron Kingdoms you can think of. Take your time to look around and you'll find a place for you.

Enjoy your stay!
    PB
    Last edited by Polar_Bear; 02-25-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    E.J.P.O.P.H.A.T.P.T.W.W.T.P.T.I.T.I.T.O.
    Play the figs you want to play.
    Got your cookie and plushie yet?

If I may humbly add. Really, really research the theme you choose for your army. Think of colors you like, and that would not be a pain in the butt to paint allot of. Think of the terrain your minis will be based on. Try to take notes of the little details you see in the forums so you don't forget them when your at your work bench. Nothing is worse than jumping into a color scheme that may work for one model, but as you fill up your army, you realize you've made a mistake

Where are the options to put a picture under your name or have a signature at the bottom of your posts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lance2983 View Post
    Where are the options to put a picture under your name or have a signature at the bottom of your posts?
    They are located in "Settings", then "Edit Avatar" and "Edit Signature".

Where do I get started if I'm more involved with the RPG?

Destroyer of Worlds scout's honor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackAres View Post
    Where do I get started if I'm more involved with the RPG?
    In the IKRPG Forum, found here.
    Warmachine/Hordes-related blogs, podcasts, websites and forums
    Quote Originally Posted by dapperFedora View Post
    Love, Wendan. That's what love looks like.

I had a couple of questions about my signature, I have one set up, but am trying to change it. How do I place multiple pictures in my signature, I have some I support Cryx banners, but wanted two of them, and couldn't get them both up. Also I'm considering placing a quote in my signature, and have seen many people who have done so, however, I can not figure out how to. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_true_druid View Post
    I sense the sarcasm, but even with that I feel I have to tell you this. You sir are one of us. You get your jollies by pushing little toy soldiers around a table and pretending that they are blowing stuff up with magically powered guns/axes.
    Props to SalsaShark for the avatar :http://privateerpressforums.com/show...s-Just-because

Destroyer of Worlds scout's honor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDogFromDuckHunt View Post
    I had a couple of questions about my signature, I have one set up, but am trying to change it. How do I place multiple pictures in my signature, I have some I support Cryx banners, but wanted two of them, and couldn't get them both up. Also I'm considering placing a quote in my signature, and have seen many people who have done so, however, I can not figure out how to. Any help would be appreciated,thanks.
    The quote part is easy - simply use the quote button, snip it to get whatever you actually want to be in the quote and then copy/paste that into your signature. For instance, pasting (QUOTE=TheDogFromDuckHunt;3152580)I had a couple of questions about my signature, ...(/QUOTE) using square brackets into your sig will show your quote.

Not sure about the images, but I'll take a look.

Edit: doublechecked, you can only have 1 image in your sig. It's just restricted like that.

Edit²: saw some posts with two images in the sig. Hm...

Edit³: bugs me that I can't find how it's done to have two images in the sig. The easiest workaround is simply to create 1 image out of the two, I guess.
    Last edited by scout's honor; 06-03-2015 at 01:07 AM.
    Warmachine/Hordes-related blogs, podcasts, websites and forums
    Quote Originally Posted by dapperFedora View Post
    Love, Wendan. That's what love looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by scout's honor View Post
    The quote part is easy - simply use the quote button, snip it to get whatever you actually want to be in the quote and then copy/paste that into your signature. For instance, pasting (QUOTE=TheDogFromDuckHunt;3152580)I had a couple of questions about my signature, ...(/QUOTE) using square brackets into your sig will show your quote.

Not sure about the images, but I'll take a look.

Edit: doublechecked, you can only have 1 image in your sig. It's just restricted like that.

Edit²: saw some posts with two images in the sig. Hm...

Edit³: bugs me that I can't find how it's done to have two images in the sig. The easiest workaround is simply to create 1 image out of the two, I guess.
    Thanks, man! Will fix it right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_true_druid View Post
    I sense the sarcasm, but even with that I feel I have to tell you this. You sir are one of us. You get your jollies by pushing little toy soldiers around a table and pretending that they are blowing stuff up with magically powered guns/axes.
    Props to SalsaShark for the avatar :http://privateerpressforums.com/show...s-Just-because

Hi, I'm new to the forums and can't get pictures from my mac to post, any tips for this issue?