Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PIG-tectorate of Menoth: Farrow Painting Blog

Was looking for a faction that i could both heavily modify & would remain relevant to the Iron Kingdoms.

What I eventually decided on was an army of Farrow who have converted to Menoth.

My theory lore wise is that Farrow do not know their own origins nor do they have a home land or any stability in their lives.
    They are driven out, enslaved & looked down on by all the human kingdoms.

Playing off the basic need for security, purpose & belonging savvy Menite priests have begun a campaign to convert the farrow to Menoths cause.
    They talk of the farrow's porcine form as an affliction cured upon them for their lack of faith, a curse that may only be lifted by faith & service.

Dr.Arkadius Has even speculated that some fort of arcane or alchemic interference has had a hand in the Farrows creation adding credence to their claims.

I plan on using Protectorate colours for the cloth & armour as well as swapping out equipment & weapons where possible.

The heavies I will attempt to modify & sculpt so each is as original as possible.
    Last edited by Tyranius; 04-07-2014 at 05:33 AM.

Purple Crocs Painting Blog: Here Aussie Trolls Painting Blog: Here PIG-tectorate of Menoth Blog: Here

My First Proof of Concept, a Menoth Branded Razor Boar.

Not really sure what to do for the basing, I've done Swamp with my Gators & Desert with my Trolls.
    Would like to do something different but not sure what ties in with the theme.

An thoughts or suggestions on basing or the paint scheme would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Tyranius; 04-14-2014 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Updated Photos with Basing

Purple Crocs Painting Blog: Here Aussie Trolls Painting Blog: Here PIG-tectorate of Menoth Blog: Here

Conqueror

From what I understand, the Menites tried to convert a Troll once. It didn't turn out well...

And that doesn't mean that the Farrow aren't sincere, but who says that they're actually lead by a properly annointed Menite Priest and not just someone who claims to be one?
    Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt
    They called me crazy?they called me insane?THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranius View Post

I love the colors.
    The branding looks fantibular.
    And the fluff sounds really interesting. Keep it up!
    SECRET SANTA 2013
    http://probablyquestionable.com/ Probably Questionable Podcast (MIA)
    The RPG Academy
    Adjunct Professor of Improv http://therpgacademy.com/

I bet that smelled positively delicious when they branded him.
    Bolters, Joysticks, and Warjacks -My small piece of the internet

"How are you supposed to fight a War Hog over the smell of bacon? Elves do eat bacon, right?"

I love this idea, I love the paint job, and I want to see more...

... Now..

PG for the Sentry Box - Calgary, AB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghool View Post
    I still stand by my statement, "I don't hate Legion, I hate Vynde."

Helga might could be like your Harbinger lol!

Really cute stuff, looking forward to see where this is going!
    "Cry havoc and let slip the boars of war!"
    The minions of war unleashed

Charge of the Trolls!

Agreed with the encouragement. Menoth's worth following
    Menoth - 343 points, 8 casters - 70% painted
    Currently playing: eFeora and Thyra

Painting styles great, concept is aces, heaps of potential. I'm following.

The brand is completely cool! Nice job!

https://www.facebook.com/gearsandgutsgamingclub
    Gears and Guts Gaming Club
    Gaming in Sanford, NC

Destroyer of Worlds Invaderzahn's Avatar

Protectorate Burnination + Farrow = Bacon

I approve
    InvaderZahn's 3D musings

ಠ_ಠ ... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Destroyer of Worlds Llael'sHope's Avatar

Very cool......and damn I bet that huuuuuuurrrrrt.
    "Hmmm....Dubious math."-Scott Wray, Chain-Attack podcast
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.”- Robin Williams

Nice paint job so far, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks for all the great feed back guys!!!

Going to do a trial paint up of a Brigand in the next few days, just to make sure the scheme works for troopers too.

With that done going to splurge on some heavies & start converting these heathen swine to the creator!

Anyone have any ideas for basing that would help cement the Menite feel?

I think the temple/paving bases would go a long way toward helping get the theme across, can't wait to see a heavy with some big protectorate jack amour plates, maybe someone can donate a plastic shield or two

I dig your scheme and painting! Fun stuff.

I did my own flagstone bases and really liked the technique. I should have done a step-by-step, but basically I:

1. Get wire mesh from a hardware store
    2. Cut some of the wires so that you can get an irregular pattern or the pattern of your choosing. I used a dremel for this instead of clippers because it was easier to get the cut and the cut was cleaner, but small wire cutters should be fine.
    3. Roll and smooth milliput onto the base, going a little higher than the lip
    4. Clean up the edges. I just stuck a sculpting tool and and ran in along the inner ring of the base. You could smooth it out again after, but I was going for kind of a temple ruin feel.
    5. Optional - Using an old toothbrush, stab it into the miliput to create little divots/scoring
    6. While the miliput is still wet, put a bit of glue on your figure feet (having cut of the tab) and stick him to the base. The miliput and superglue together will be very stable.

Here's the one pic I have of the end result. I wasn't happy with my painting, but the bases come out pretty neat and I got better with practice:

My Epic Butcher Tactica
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomThoughts, Calcifar, Jamie P, SmellyTerror, Noble_Rain, Killax, mad_dasher, Kriegsspiele, Wendan, sionnach19, P3rsist3nc3, and AresX8 View Post
    jdeckert is always right

Quote Originally Posted by jdeckert View Post
    I dig your scheme and painting! Fun stuff.

I did my own flagstone bases and really liked the technique. I should have done a step-by-step, but basically I:

1. Get wire mesh from a hardware store
    2. Cut some of the wires so that you can get an irregular pattern or the pattern of your choosing. I used a dremel for this instead of clippers because it was easier to get the cut and the cut was cleaner, but small wire cutters should be fine.
    3. Roll and smooth milliput onto the base, going a little higher than the lip
    4. Clean up the edges. I just stuck a sculpting tool and and ran in along the inner ring of the base. You could smooth it out again after, but I was going for kind of a temple ruin feel.
    5. Optional - Using an old toothbrush, stab it into the miliput to create little divots/scoring
    6. While the miliput is still wet, put a bit of glue on your figure feet (having cut of the tab) and stick him to the base. The miliput and superglue together will be very stable.

Here's the one pic I have of the end result. I wasn't happy with my painting, but the bases come out pretty neat and I got better with practice:

Thanks for that, looks really good & i'll defiantly steal that in the future

I know i'm being picky about fluff I created so bare with me but i wouldn't see the protectorate allowing farrow to roam the streets of their holy cities.
    Manipulating them into serving & dying in the name of the creator yes but tolerating them as equals i doubt it.

Hence my dilemma, i want the bases to tie in to the theme but not at the cost of realism( the irony of "realism" applied to fantasy pigs in a fantasy religion that's not even of the developers design is not lost on me :P )

I guess I could use your design but do a darker stone & have them either assaulting or defending a keep or fortress, perhaps along the black river forth of Sul?

The dark stone would likely supply a good contrast to the light tones of skin & armor.

I guess I could use your design but do a darker stone & have them either assaulting or defending a keep or fortress, perhaps along the black river forth of Sul?

The dark stone would likely supply a good contrast to the light tones of skin & armor.
    Yeah, I think that would look pretty cool.
    My Epic Butcher Tactica
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomThoughts, Calcifar, Jamie P, SmellyTerror, Noble_Rain, Killax, mad_dasher, Kriegsspiele, Wendan, sionnach19, P3rsist3nc3, and AresX8 View Post
    jdeckert is always right

Ok, I've updated the photos with the basing done.

Couldn't get the milliput locally (Australia) but found Selleys epoxy Handy putty at Bunnings that seemed to do the job.

Painting up a Brigand now to make sure the scheme carries over to troopers.

Will post in next few days.

Please do! This is a really cool idea with great execution. I can't wait to see more.

Destroyer of Worlds komodokeeper's Avatar

One of the basing Idieas I've seen do well for both Menoth and Farrow (think Pumbaa) is cracked earth...and if you can finding crackle paint it's easy...just smear the stuff on and it shrinks ad cracks creating a dried desert look....

http://www.denofimagination.com.pl/2...-tutorial.html

Alternate look...
    http://roebeast.blogspot.com/2012/07...ure-bases.html
    Some people need a weekly dose of vitamin D6 to "stay sane." Me, I just need a taste of paint and I'm good.
    Quote Originally Posted by joedj View Post
    I prefer the diagnosis: Chronic and Acute Spasmodic Hemorrhagic Billfold Disgorgement Disease.
    Why TheoryMachine? Because we can't afford therapy

excellent.
    The Avenger is like that girlfriend you had once in the 11th grade; super needy, not nearly as fast you want it to be, and brings a ton of hurt in a 9 point package.

Hilariously awesome! Look forward to seeing more! Definitely room to kit-bash some of the plastic Menoth kits. For the heavies, I'd recommend the crusader/templar/vanquisher kit It's got nice, big menofixes on the shoulder pieces. For the lights pretty much any plastic kit should to. Repenter has a nice flail.

For Arkadius I could see using an attendant priest or hierophant as a body-swap.

Sunburst Crew: Paradox Plunge 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Deist View Post
    It's not your models, it's not your faction...it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by paradox View Post
    Hilariously awesome! Look forward to seeing more! Definitely room to kit-bash some of the plastic Menoth kits. For the heavies, I'd recommend the crusader/templar/vanquisher kit It's got nice, big menofixes on the shoulder pieces. For the lights pretty much any plastic kit should to. Repenter has a nice flail.

For Arkadius I could see using an attendant priest or hierophant as a body-swap.
    Actually buying the Castigator/Sanctifier/Reckoner kit because I want the sanctifier weapon for Warhog, Reckoner gun for GunBoar & legs for my Road Hog.

Will probably get the other heavy kit later.

Dr.A is one of the few models I don't plan on making any non cosmetic modifications to, simply because although he would happily work for Menoth if it gave him more access to resources for his experiments, he'd never truly convert, science is his god.
    Last edited by Tyranius; 04-15-2014 at 05:37 AM.

Trial run Brigand

Really happy with how it turned out.
    Also got plans to convert his gun to be more Protectorate.

Trial run Brigand

Really happy with how it turned out.
    Also got plans to convert his gun to be more Protectorate.

Needs a Menofix somewhere

Trolls is where my heart is.

Quote Originally Posted by Pride365 View Post
    Needs a Menofix somewhere
    Oh don't worry the gun is getting one

Ok cause other than that it looks awesome I just can't see the Protectorate letting new converts run around with out a whole bunch of them

Trolls is where my heart is.

Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by Invaderzahn
    She has a 'jack with an arc node. Beast 09, only the arc node is shaped like an axe and all it channels is PAIN.

Bits from PP turned up today, will update my brigand & get to work on some other conversions... that is if my 2yr old & 10 week old allow it :P

Conqueror

So are you using them as Farrow or Menoth? They look good by the way.

HEAVY WARBEAST!

It's looking great so far. Big fan of the painting style in general, the cream/white armour looks great on farrow

Quote Originally Posted by rasputindarksyde View Post
    So are you using them as Farrow or Menoth? They look good by the way.
    Going to still be played as Thornfall Pact but with Menoth aesthetics & gear.

I'm surprised by how fantastic the protectorate colors look on the pig models. Well done

What did you use for the razorboars fleshtone?

Looking great! Again, I really like the concept and you are executing it very well.
    My Epic Butcher Tactica
    jdeckert is always right

Looking good and an interesting idea.
    Making them Farrow with a menoth flavour makes for less headache then converting the farrow range to all the options that Menoth has and still making them have correct weapons etc. So youre on the right side of insanity, for now....
    Youve at this point already choosen your basing and it works well.
    When choosing basing you can either go for a fitting setting, khador on snowbases etc wich is a defensive choice. Your models are fighting on their home turf protecting the enviroment where they usually live. Another option is to give them an offensive basing choice. Base the basing on where theyre fighting in the fluff at the moment. A skorne army based on a forest theme with iosan flavours makes your army part of the current invasion of the angry elves homeland. Great if you have a particular opponent that plays that faction. The there will be blood "im drinking your milkshake" theory of basing.

If the menites was to use them as disposable chaff where would they send them? what would the enviroment be like there?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoki View Post
    I'm surprised by how fantastic the protectorate colors look on the pig models. Well done

What did you use for the razorboars fleshtone?
    3 parts Vellejo Rosy Flesh & 1 part Stonewall grey

Added some bone white for each highlight layer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast