Default A question about Canker Worm.

Comes down to really this, I've honestly never found room for the guy. He's 5 points which cuts out room of an arc node, while the AP is nice, it can only be done a single time, and while indeed mobile, over all to me it just seems like we have better things available for the points..

That all said/asked.. ..I've been looking through our own jacks as to what weapons would be nice with the Cankerworm, eating out own.. ..is there any people prefer?

The Harrower's Perisher doesn't seem bad, though it's only P+S 12 on the Canker, taht's still reach and Thresher which can take out a good number of troops. It's Mortifier not being too horrible as well if you want something shooty.

One 'big' one that stood out to me was actually the Slayer's DeathClaw.. ..seeing as the wording for the special attack doesn't really mention you needing two at all, it sounds like you could combo strike with it. The Claw being POW 6, giets you to P+S 14, and 20 on the combo strike.. which would still be better than the AP of his other weapon, in many cases. (Of course Nightmare's Wicked claws being even better, due to adding in reach.)

Levi's Gun wouldn't be too horrible, same Rat, and now gives you a very mobile and stealth firing platform, guns having no loss to the damage of the shots.

Gave thoughts to the corrupter, while I think Cankerworm might get better use out of it's weapons than the Corrupter itself.. still not worth taking the Corrupter for such.

Well, those are the only one's of ours that stood out to me, I'm curious how people use this model to decent effect.

..and just starting looking through jacks of other factions for weapons, I stopped upon the Cygnar Grenadier, no.. not ideal, but I found it amusing that it's Grenade Launchers Manual Reload doesn't specify that the model has to be B2B with Friendly Trenchers.. ..so if Canker got this, he could nestle up against the back of two to take 3 shots, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by AshenFang View Post
    ..and just starting looking through jacks of other factions for weapons, I stopped upon the Cygnar Grenadier, no.. not ideal, but I found it amusing that it's Grenade Launchers Manual Reload doesn't specify that the model has to be B2B with Friendly Trenchers.. ..so if Canker got this, he could nestle up against the back of two to take 3 shots, heh.
    That would be very very funny. other then trenchers that are dug in
    Apple bloom hungers for souls and friendship

You know what... in all that time I've never considered eating my own jacks. That's rather embarrassing actually...

..Good? ...Bad? I'm the guy with more Banes!

Combatant

Thunderhead, lightning coil, take some doing but think of the hilarity!

(but on topic, hands of a DJ or Nightmare both have their uses

-Dave
    Last edited by darksun; 06-07-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Cyclone, and lay down 2 covering fire templates!
    The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctjud View Post
    I am the Pedobear of the forums, except I spout out "MOAR BANEZ" instead of "FREE CANDY"!

Use him with Gaspy, end of activation movement shenanigans means you don't need to feed him much focus.

Cankerwurm is just amazing for his point cost and the more play that he gets, the more that opponents in the area hate him with an extreme passion...especially with Gaspy.
    Bronze ~ Death is only the beginning

Piston Spear from a Centurion is nice too.

The problem with the Canker is that you only get to successfully use his replication once...after that your friends will make sure he never has another opportunity (mostly because they keep having too much trouble killing the Combine).
    Quote Originally Posted by Diethelm View Post
    When my gf/people asks what the game is about I say "It's like Chess and Risk had a baby and that baby had super powers".
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBite View Post
    -it takes me four whole Banes to take down the ArchAngel. that thing is totally OP!
    Yes my dog is 155lbs and can look you in the eye.

I love Canker Spanks, though I only use him with the two Asphxyiouses. Only ever pulled off Salvage twice, but both games it swung it. Once when he ate the remains of Deathjack, picked up his claw, and proceeded to use it to throw the offending 'Jack out of the Control Zone and get my game winning point. Second was stealing a Phynix's sword for Reach, then killing the Mage Hunter Assassin who was making a last ditch assassination attempt with a Free Strike he couldn't have gotten otherwise.

The thing to remember with the Cankerworm, and where I make my constant mistake with him, is that if the jack you are going to AP has a nifty weapon, then when you charge BASE IT! When you scrap it, use a focus to Salvage the same turn before you run away. (I also only field him under the Gaspys but he never seems to disappoint under them)
    My name is Alviaran and I'm a token junkie. I need help.

For love. For honor. For Devilsquid.

What about the Chain Attack: Grab & Smash? from the Seether? If that doesn't work because of the wording I think that the Combo Strike from the Slayer/Nightmare would probably work best.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

It doesn't take the chain attacks or other special abilities.

All it takes is RNG, ROF, AOE and POW.

So on a melee weapon, all you'll get is the POW.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance
    So on a melee weapon, all you'll get is the POW
    Plus the abilities of the weapon such as reach, if Im correct.
    Bisounours killer Oo

Quote Originally Posted by juckto
    Use him with Gaspy, end of activation movement shenanigans means you don't need to feed him much focus.
    You only save foc for pseudo run otherwise there is no diference.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    It doesn't take the chain attacks or other special abilities.

All it takes is RNG, ROF, AOE and POW.

So on a melee weapon, all you'll get is the POW.
    Wrong.

The Replicator gains the special rules and weapon
    qualities of one of the destroyed warjackʼs weapons. The Replicator becomes the type of weapon adapted (melee or ranged) and
    uses that weaponʼs RNG, ROF, AOE, and POW.
    Canker would get Seether's chain attack but wouldn't be able to use it without 2 same arms.

I have hard time finding space in lists for Canker.
    If I want AP Reaper is less survivable choice but with arc node.
    If I want to just use him as sacrificial/aggressive piece I might as well go with Helldiver.

Trying him out in my ever crowded pGaspy lists where his affinity helps him be more annoying and survivable but I don't have high expectations - heavies don't like to walk in charge range of banes, mechanitralls and Gaspy as it is so one more threat to heavies is no big deal.
    Precision is the ultimate law.

Ooooops. Maybe I was thinking of when a Troll takes a weapon. o.O

Before the Ripjaw i loved the Cankerworm, now i still like it but it has tough competition at the 5p slot.

It still has a lot of awesome abilities and as a Warjack with stealth (you dont see that very often) is rather survivable. It is one of the better designed character jacks because while it certainly is awesome it is more a "nice to have" than a "OMG i absolutely need this in my list" (see: Deathjack and Avatar).

Now if it still had meat grinder...

Quote Originally Posted by modefan93 View Post
    Piston Spear from a Centurion is nice too.
    Yep, but the Reaper's Helldriver is better, and you can insure it's in the game, all the same stats, but normal Sustained attack instead of the Piston only doing it on Critical.

I'll give Cankerworm some try this week I think, see if I can swing anything with him, I just tend to run jack light, letting all of our really nice infantry do all the big pounding, while spending my jackpoints and so forth on arcnodes and the Deathjack.

Since MK2, the worm is no longer that great if you ask me. Especially since Ripjaw which also has AP but has a node. The worm only sees play with me if I play Asphyxious as the affinity is nice. It's a fun jack and very nice model, but I rather take the extra node.

The worm was my absolute love in Mk1 though. During a tournaments first round I almost made my 11-year-old-playing-for-the-first-time-opponent cry with the MK1 worm

"My friend has never destroyed my Behemoth yet, it's invincible! Sure... cast venom on it, that doesn't hurt a bit. What do you mean a 3 focus Cankerworm charges?.... MOMMY!!!"

The good old days... Uncle V would have loved him.
    Last edited by SjoerdH; 06-08-2011 at 11:20 AM.

This is obviously an underrated light jack judging by the comments thus far. Cankerwurm has so much to offer that if you aren't fielding him with Asphixious, you are making a mistake, and if you don't think that he is destructive enough for 5 points, then you aren't seeing the potential.

AD, Stealth, Pathfinder, Armor Pierce and Parry are more than enough.
    I don't even usually consider the potential for self-healing and weapon retrieval. That's just a bonus.
    With Gaspy, getting the opportunity to disengage or move faster across the table without giving it focus is just madness.

Cankerwurm should be used in a similar manner to that of a 'Scavenger' as far as tactics are concerned, sitting behind the lines a little and then tearing something apart, (moving back to safety with Gaspy afterwards). What's great about the Canker with Gaspy is that he rarely gets retaliated against. Even if he doesn't kill that heavy target that activation, one can be sure that it is seriously hurt and your disengaged with other troops rushing in after he is finished with it. It is customary that Cankerwurm will kill two heavies per battle. On a point for point basis comparison, that is ridiculously potent.

Zombie Annihilator GaspysInhaler's Avatar

Count me in the group that gets significant play time for his Cankerworm with the Gaspy's.

I love the model and his rules. I think several of you are forgetting the best part about him, which is his deceptive durability. If I'm not mistaken, the enemy has to disable a minimum of 12 boxes on his grid to take out any one system, and even more to take out his Cortex (15 boxes). That's essentially what it takes to disable a system on a Khador heavy (their significantly higher armor not-withstanding). DEF 14 makes him fairly difficult to hit. The affinity lets me essentially "run" him without focus, and parry lets him hit and run with impunity.

He's performed admirably in all of the tournaments I've fielded him with the Gaspy's.

On the other hand though, I don't field him with non-Gaspy casters. I think his affinity is exactly what makes him worth the full 5 points now that the Ripjaw has been released. Without that free move, I feel like I'm not necessarily getting my full money's worth unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranhotep
    It's just gaspysinhaler with his usuall doom and gloom and purification-is-the-end-of-the-world pessimism with no actual game experience I'm beginning to suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horror
    Game finally ended when Saeryn got cornered and fisted to death by Mechanithralls.

Whenever i make a pGaspy list the first thing that gets written down is Cankerworm.
    I also love to use him with pSkarre for the POW 16 AP bite.

You get a lot for these 5 points and comparing him to the other factions IMO he is the best of the character lights - by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronze View Post
    This is obviously an underrated light jack judging by the comments thus far. Cankerwurm has so much to offer that if you aren't fielding him with Asphixious, you are making a mistake, and if you don't think that he is destructive enough for 5 points, then you aren't seeing the potential.
    He is destructive enough but, really, what is not destructive with Gaspy?

AD, Stealth, Pathfinder, Armor Pierce and Parry are more than enough.
    I don't even usually consider the potential for self-healing and weapon retrieval. That's just a bonus.
    With Gaspy, getting the opportunity to disengage or move faster across the table without giving it focus is just madness.

Cankerwurm should be used in a similar manner to that of a 'Scavenger' as far as tactics are concerned, sitting behind the lines a little and then tearing something apart, (moving back to safety with Gaspy afterwards). What's great about the Canker with Gaspy is that he rarely gets retaliated against. Even if he doesn't kill that heavy target that activation, one can be sure that it is seriously hurt and your disengaged with other troops rushing in after he is finished with it. It is customary that Cankerwurm will kill two heavies per battle. On a point for point basis comparison, that is ridiculously potent.
    Scavenger lacks Parry and that is it's biggest problem and it will be forever crap.
    Back to Canker: I don't know what your play style is but for me Canker kills one heavy maybe and that is if opponent makes bad decision with placing.
    I'll elaborate more on that in reply to GaspysInhaler.

Quote Originally Posted by GaspysInhaler View Post
    Count me in the group that gets significant play time for his Cankerworm with the Gaspy's.

I love the model and his rules. I think several of you are forgetting the best part about him, which is his deceptive durability. If I'm not mistaken, the enemy has to disable a minimum of 12 boxes on his grid to take out any one system, and even more to take out his Cortex (15 boxes). That's essentially what it takes to disable a system on a Khador heavy (their significantly higher armor not-withstanding). DEF 14 makes him fairly difficult to hit. The affinity lets me essentially "run" him without focus, and parry lets him hit and run with impunity.
    Nothing deceptive about his durability. It's jack with the best grid there is.

His durability is reason he rarely kills anything in my lists:
    I like to play really aggressive and I would rather send Canker to engage heavy or two (with Scything touch on it if in Gaspy list) to force opponent do deal with it or suffer, then sit back and wait for opponents heavy to walk in.
    Canker is not something that can just be left unattended because he has Parry, amongst other stuff, and his grid ensures he will be big annoyance and significant resources will be spend to get rid of him while other forces advance closer.

That probably screws with my perception of his performance but I never had remorse when I used him.

Between combostrikes, Parasite, Scything touch, Crippling graps, weapon masters (with or without Darkshroud), Cryx never had problem with armor and Canker is just one more model which is good at killing high ARM targets.

He's performed admirably in all of the tournaments I've fielded him with the Gaspy's.

On the other hand though, I don't field him with non-Gaspy casters. I think his affinity is exactly what makes him worth the full 5 points now that the Ripjaw has been released. Without that free move, I feel like I'm not necessarily getting my full money's worth unfortunately.
    Another good thing with Canker in Gaspy list is that Gaspy lacks terrain mitigation and this way you have jack which can go anywhere.

Question for general population:
    Why would anyone take Slayer instead of Canker in any list?
    =same threat range
    =same mat
    + Canker's hands don't fall off, Replicator not attached to system, irrelevant difference in pow if killing mid ARM one wound models, Parry, stealth, costs one point less.
    - One less attack, relevant difference if killing mid ARM multiwound models (2xpow 16 vs 1xAP pow 11)

Scavenger lacks Parry and that is it's biggest problem and it will be forever crap.
    ... ... ... ... ... ... the Scavenger is not crap (alright, with some casters it is, but that goes for many models/units). Also, we have many casters that can negate that problem with free strikes.

..Good? ...Bad? I'm the guy with more Banes!

Quote Originally Posted by ResurrectioN View Post
    Question for general population:
    Why would anyone take Slayer instead of Canker in any list?
    =same threat range
    =same mat
    + Canker's hands don't fall off, Replicator not attached to system, irrelevant difference in pow if killing mid ARM one wound models, Parry, stealth, costs one point less.
    - One less attack, relevant difference if killing mid ARM multiwound models (2xpow 16 vs 1xAP pow 11)
    - four less boxes
    - no trample
    - medium base rather than large
    - no open fists (without replicating one)

I'll stay away from the Scavenger argument, other than to say that mine has performed admirably with Mortenebra and with pDenny.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamoron View Post
    ... ... ... ... ... ... the Scavenger is not crap (alright, with some casters it is, but that goes for many models/units). Also, we have many casters that can negate that problem with free strikes.
    I tested it a lot with Coven.
    I wasn't disappointed by performance after you give it Stealth or Infernal machine, Ghost walk and 1-3 focus... which made me think what any other jack could do with that same investment and I don't need to follow them around with nodes to apply GW.

2-3 foc investment for GW to make model do his intended fly-over-and-stab function is way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by nonchalance View Post
    - four less boxes
    - no trample
    - medium base rather than large
    - no open fists (without replicating one)
    Four less boxes is not really an issue with his grid and higher DEF.
    True - no trample means less potential to kill infantry.
    Medium base - so what? Just going back to trample argument or there is more to it?
    Open fists are OK, I guess, but I have rarely considered throwing something instead of just killing it.
    On the other hand Stealth and AD? Approach unmolested and be 6" closer to heavy you would like to destroy.
    Last edited by ResurrectioN; 06-09-2011 at 05:08 AM.

You seem to be arguing both sides with Cankerwurm, and that is just confusing.

Ashenfang,
    You have been shown the thoughts of several players in the faction in regards to your light character jack question, so hopefully you have enough to make an informed decision as to where the warjack would fit into your own playstyle and list construction.

I'm just admitting on what points nonchalance was right.
    It might even be better for purposes he would normally use jack but I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by ResurrectioN View Post
    Four less boxes is not really an issue with his grid and higher DEF.
    Actually, that's true. Should have pointed out that one was kinda irrelevant.

True - no trample means less potential to kill infantry.
    Medium base - so what? Just going back to trample argument or there is more to it?
    Trample also means the Slayer has the potential to go hammering over infantry lines and then spend focus to wail on the defended stuff on the other side - Parry helps the worm do that sort of thing, I guess, but still lacks the sheer "can't stop this" of the trample. While we're at it, large base gives you better LOS-blocking capability - actually, the worm has no LOS-blocking at ALL, thanks to Stealth.

Open fists are OK, I guess, but I have rarely considered throwing something instead of just killing it.
    On the other hand Stealth and AD? Approach unmolested and be 6" closer to heavy you would like to destroy.
    The open fists are helpful for scenario play - one focus to throw a heavy off a point can be better than loading up to kill it.

Short version: The worm is probably better for its points, yes - but the Slayer can do some things the worm can't, and does things that aren't just "I KILL THAT THING THERE". Those other things could well justify a player taking such a thing.

Oh, also, Mortenebra. Obviously.
    Last edited by nonchalance; 06-10-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Forgot the obvious.