Default Cygnar vs Hordes

I was wondering if anyone can give their opinions on Cygnar models (including mercs) that are made for/very effective at fighting Hordes (beasts).

I am far from an expert on Cygnar, so I'd just mumble something about Alten Ashley and bringing enough high POW attacks that you can kill off beasts quickly (since Hordes players tend to bring more beasts than Warmachine players bring jacks).

So instead I'm moving this to the Cygnar community forums. You'll have better luck there and/or be able to get a more accurate answer.

Viktor Pendrake. Few things are as fun as putting Beast Lore on eCaine then watching him shred two heavy warbeats with his feat - although using it on ATGM with another 'caster is almost as much fun for the criticals you'll reap from it.

Destroyer of Worlds

We've actually had a grand debate, and small flame war, about this very subject lately.

I think most of what we have is very viable against hordes, with the caveat of you needing to change your play style to fight them.

Instead of walling up to put as much of your forces on target from the beginning you end up needing to screen and spoil more to damage control against beast alpha strikes. As such your main forces should be behind your guys that are there to die.

Stormnouns with Estrkyer are some of my favorites for pure hitting power. Sure you lose some power without disruption, but that's not the only reason why you bring them.

Siege and Defenders are good for killing beasts. Pendrake is quite good especially for handing out beast lore to a bunch of assaulting Stormblades but he's also a power 10 weapon master against beasts which can really put a hurting on lesser and light beasts. Hunters and Defenders can hurt the smaller beasts pretty badly. Gorman's black oil is always good against... well... anything really.

Honestly the lights are pretty squishy and can go down to shooting and the heavies are just like fighting anything with high armor... You don't get disruption which is a bit of a bummer, but they die all the same. Stormclads, Rowdy, Stormblades, etc. Things you would bring against enemy heavies will generally be the same things you'll bring against beasts.

Destroyer of Worlds

Siege will get busy if he has to help gun down several heavies. Defenders are good because they can perform multiple roles during a game and has a small footprint, not because they cause an awful lot of damage per shot. If you want raw damage at range Long Gunners are the best answer, if you want to deliver it up close Stormblades (or Forgeguards) are far better at it. Ironclads are also good for trading pieces.

eStryker can also help deliver a strong punch through his positive charge spell early on, when bringing Stormblades (or Forgeguards under Murdoch's command). Later on he can go all bonkers.
    It's time to kick a** and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum.

-Captain Gunnbjorn

thank you! Im sorry though, what are forgeguard?

Destroyer of Worlds Sardonic Artery's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lsuedd View Post
    thank you! Im sorry though, what are forgeguard?
    An excellent albeit slow Merc unit: dwarves with reach weapon master hammers. Nailing a critical smite is still one of the funnest things in the game for me.
    Achievement unlocked at 2014 Feast of Blades: Loudest Man in Warmachine

Destroyer of Worlds

There is a large difference between say a Angeli and a Gladiator. Both require different idea's on how to finish correctly.

But that last is the main part. Don't start on a beast until you intend to finish that beast, that turn right now.
    Wrap me up in my old flying jacket,
    And give me a joystick to hold, to hold,
    And I'll soar once again o'er the trenches
    And thus shall my exploits be told.

I can bring Viktor Pendrake? His card says he will work for only Trolls and some other Hordes factions. Does not mention any warmachine. However, the front does say he is a Cygnar ally. Is this why he can? sorry, im a noob.

Yes, you can bring Viktor.

Destroyer of Worlds

An ally is a member of that faction when in that faction's army, or a merc in a merc army.

Destroyer of Worlds

Because he's a Cygnar ally, he can always be taken in Cygnar lists and counts as a Cygnar model in those lists. Otherwise he's a mercenary model. Precursor Knights, Constance Blaize (Wrath) and Gallant (Wrath) also function this way.