Default The Thumper Crew

The Thumper Crew. (overview) Thisi will hopefully give you the desire to knock the dust off of the thumper crew and give them a go. If anything, it will throw your opponent of his guard for a few games.
    Weapon Crews can generally be relegated to fun lists or things that get passed over in favor of better units, but the Thumper Crew is not as bad as you may think. It suffers from the ?awesome? Trollkin def of 12 like most units, and has the same armor as the Fennblades (14), but it isn?t meant to get into the thick of the action. It should be sitting behind your big blue wall of regenerative flesh. If your opponent has made his way through your lines to your thumper crew, you weren?t going to win anyway. Putting this unit onto the table may even make your opponent smile or even openly laugh, but you can wipe the smile from his face after a good hit on one of his large bases.
    The Thumper has 3 crew and benefits from range finder (+2 to attack) by having only 1 extra model in base contact so if you lose one crewman to a stray shot it is ok.
    It seems my hypocrisies know no bounds!

Shoosting: (or what the Thumper does)
    When compared to Pyg Bushwhackers The Crew ties for the longest range of any trollblood ranged weapon. At first glance you may say that the bushwhackers are better, but the thumper comes in at 3 points where the bushwhackers come in at 5/8. A min unit of Bushwhackers hits a CRA from Rat 10 Pow 16, while the Thumper hits at Rat 5 (7 Range Finder) and Pow 14. Obviously this is not as good, but one advantage the Thumper has over the Pygs is the momentum ability.
    With momentum the thumper hits def 14 jacks and beasts on average rolls, slams them backward D3” if they are medium based, and it knocks down large based models, this begins to eat into your opponent’s focus/fury manipulation as they have to spend resources to pay for shake effects every turn that you hit. This can slow them down, and disrupt formations since they will not want anything within 3 inches of the back of any medium based models that can potentially be slammed onto them. The collateral damage from the thumper is also pow 14 so this is better than collateral damage from Mulg!
    Last edited by Highmecca; 07-04-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Warlocks: as they appear in FoW: Trollbloods not for how they affect the Thumper. The Thumper will benefit the most from the ranged warlocks, but I have included each to show what small benefits they will gain from them.
    Grim Angus: The Thumper can benefit from 75% of Grim’sspell list, plus the feat.
    Cross Country can help with models trying to hide like Bone Jacks or Cygnar Hunters who have a field day with your med & lg base models. It will remove the modifier for cover and concealment.
    Marked for Death The enemy model or unit suffers -2 Def and loses incorporeal and stealth. This spell will make it easier for the thumper to hit its target. If a target gets close enough for Grim to put this spell on it, the Thumper will help even further by knocking it down if it has a lg base.
    Return Fire if they shoot at you, you get to shoot back (Far Strike will not extend the range to 18 on this shot) but, free pow 14 ranged attacks are a good thing. (Cygnar will outrange 14” the most, but another weapon that has farther rat is the Winterguard Mortar Rng 20.)
    Spread the Net (Feat): This will bring all but the highest defense into the Thumpers Rat range by debuffing the models by -3 def and -3 spd.
    Grissel Bloodsong: The thumper will not be a very good choice for a Grissel list. She only has one spell to help them hit the opponent in Calamity and her Fell Calls do nothing for it either.
    (P)Hoarluck Doomshaper: The Thumper benefits from only one spell of Hoarluck’s, Fortune. It is an upkeep spell too, so the Thumper can have it all game for free due to Great Power. If you have an Impaler in this list he may be a good caster with the thumper since he will be hanging out toward the back of the army.
    (E) Hoarluck Doomshaper: Epic Doomshaper has only one spell that can even affect the Thumper Crew, but it really doesn’t help much at all unless you want to move the Thumper around after attacking. (Refuge) to make a full advance.
    Captain Gunnbjorn: Another ranged caster that the Thumper crew can benefit from 75% of his spell list, and feat.
    Explosivo This spell can help out the thumper in several situations. It allows the thumper crew to target models that are incorporeal. This will be most handy against Cryx, and to some degree Skorne. You can also target Feralgeists. For lighter infantry, the 3” template can cause your opponent to hesitate and second guess his moves, but they will only suffer the blast damage not the slam.
    Rock Wall Not that Gunnbjorn would do it much, unless he is standing next to them, but he can put a wall template in front of the thumper to increase their def to 16.
    Snipe This spell can go a very long way for the thumper crew by increasing their range to 18”. If you placed the Thumper at the front center of your deployment zone, it can reach 28” directly in front of it, and has a radius that covers a very large segment of the board. Couple this with explosivo, and virtually nothing is safe from the Thumpers attack for a turn.
    (P) Madrak: Madrak doesn’t do much for the Thumper. He does have Sure Foot which will make them def 14 and unable to be knocked down. This is good, but will probably be better used on a melee model or himself. His feat will also not benefit the Thumper
    (E) Madrak: Epic Madrak also does very little to enhance your thumper crew. His feat will allow them to attack a second model if they kill the first not bad but this will have to be a large based model on its last leg or something smaller. Warpath indirectly affects the thumper by helping one of the trolls advance 3 inches if the thumper kills a model.
    Borka Kegslayer: Borka is yet another warlock that doesn’t go out of his way to help out the thumper crew. His feat has no effect, and only Iron Flesh will work on them from his spell list. Although this is a very good spell to use on the thumper crew, Borka, like Madrak, will want to utilize this spell on models that are advancing with him into melee to help keep them alive once they get into the scrum.
    Calandra Truthsayer: Calandra helps all of her troops, but she will affect the thumper crew a bit less. The feat Good Omens will almost ensure a hit on the turn you use it. The minimum defense you will hit is 13. The spell bullet Dodger will give the thumper a defense 14, and the ability to move 2” with dodge, as well as no free strikes against it. She will not go out of her way to make the thumper that much better, but they will benefit from star crossed too, by making them harder to hit. If you can benefit from cover or concealment with the crew, then with star crossed up, they will virtually last all game without going down.

Warbeasts: I won’t include all of the warbeasts since many will have no effect at all on the Thumper Crew.
    Impaler: The Impaler’s animus is great for the thumper crew giving it the snipe ability which increases its range to 18”. This will benefit any list that includes an impaler and thumper. The problem will arise from warlocks that move forward and get themselves out of range to cast the animus on the thumper (6”). The Impaler isn’t going to just stand around and give its animus to the thumper either, so taking advantage of this combination will be on turns 1 and 2 for the most benefit. After this the thumper may want to move forward for a turn or hopefully have no need for far strike since most things will be coming to us anyway.
    Winter Troll: The poor, much maligned Winter Troll can actually help out the Thumper Crew quite a bit. It is situational to say the least, but nevertheless a very good combination. If the Winter troll boosts to hit a warjack or warbeast and scores a critical freeze The thumper crew will hit it on anything except double ones (or balls as we call it). Then the magic happens two fold The warjack or warbeast now has to shake 2 effects the stationary and knock down to get back into the action. If you add in Gunnbjorn’s guided fire, the winter troll is boosting all of its spray attacks to hit without using its fury. I know most people don’t like the winter troll but this is another tool for the belt.

Units: Like warbeasts there are few units that will affect the Thumper crew, so I will only mention the ones that will have more than a passing influence.
    Kriekstone Bearer & Stone Scribe Elder: Just like all of the other trollkin, The thumper crew will enjoy the +2 arm benefit of the Krielstone bearer’s protective aura. The stone scribe attachment can help as well. Mostly against the incorporeal or stealth models that annoy you, but in a pinch can remove continuous effects from the Thumper. Tartarus cannot hide if in the radius of the Krielstone bearer, and The Thumper will hit him on a 6.
    Long Riders: Longriders are good for big hits and with bull rush knocking models down, they make easy targets for the Thumper Crew to finish off or damage further. The mount also has critical knock down so there is a chancy backup if the Bull Rush misses.
    Runeshapers: With a similar ability to the longriders, the Runeshapers can use tremor to knock models down and make easy targets for the Thumper Crew to damage further or finish off. Rock hammer gets the critical knock down, but is a bit chancier. If you pull it off the model will be taking 2 pow 14 attacks.
    Solos: With very few solos doing anything to benefit the thumper crew in passing I will say that Horthol can do the same thing as the Longriders, and Janissa Stonetide can put them behind cover with a wall of stone spell. She can also use rockhammer to knock down enemies with a little luck.

Annihilator

I'm too tired and too drunk to read all of this, but it looks like a descent write up.

I didnt realize it was a write up til I scrolled down to see more from the same poster.

CoachB

Nice write up. I have been wanting to get a cannon on the table and may use this thread as an excuse for myself. Just got done stripping my crew and will have back together this week.

I think for me I will be throwing them in my larger 50+ games and take advantage of the farstrike turns one and two.

Annihilator

@op: you misread momentum: momentum doesnt slam large base models, instead it just sends them kd. it only slams small/medium size bases. they nerfed the thumper crew that way during the field test which brought it down from decent to mediocre/bad again, because you always wanted to target heavies with it to keep them at distance.

I have used thumper regularly whit grissel, and Hoof has been really good to thumper. Thumper is so slow, that it has to run first two turns, to get action. But whit hoof it can shoot at second turn.

Gorg pointed it out, but you are misplaying momentum.

The thumpers other major problem: no arcing fire. So all those medium bases we have block LOS to a huge chunk of it's potential targets.

But if it had kept the fieldtest version of momentum, it would be a decent artillery piece.
    Last edited by petegrrrr; 07-04-2011 at 10:30 AM.

Rasheth 2014: Chains we can believe in!

Just reread that and I made a quick change. Man, that does hurt! The devil is definitely in the details, but it still knocks down the large based models. Slamming them would have been nice though. o-well. I think early attacks with it are where it will help the most, then our medium bases will get in the way. As long as we can target the large bases though, I think it is a decent piece. Not great, but useable. Also, I think with its pow 14 it will be good against battle engines.
    Last edited by Highmecca; 07-04-2011 at 12:18 PM.

It won't knock them down. sadly momentum has no effect on huge sized bases, and at at least dice -4, you do 3 damage a shot. Which means it will take you....7 turns of shooting to kill the least durable engine.

Knocking down jacks is not a bad strategy however. At the very least you force them to waste focus. It just seems that for the points of the thumper, trolls can do so much better in terms of effecting the overall game.

That's the problem with a few of our models. They aren't bad in and of themselves, they are simply the least potent use of those points.

Quote Originally Posted by petegrrrr View Post
    The thumpers other major problem: no arcing fire. So all those medium bases we have block LOS to a huge chunk of it's potential targets.
    Since Kriel bowling is favorite pastime of trollkins, you can always shoot your medium bases in the back and slam them over these annoying Kayazys or Winterguard.

Kriel bowling is the most effective use of thumper as D3" whit medibase is most often enought. And whit MK2 los-rules I haven't got problems as getting los to my my own kriel. I think it's nice weapon, and our gaming group thinks that too, after catching POW 14 krielwarriors whit their casters.

Nice write up. But I'll like to point some things.

With Grissel. I think the thumper can make a great use of hoof it, to better position it better on the first turn or to shut and move wherever turn. (sure there use to be better targets for Hoof It, but it stills seems a good trick to me. I tested some shoot&run list with Grissel, they didn't worked for me, but seemed fun for casual games). And you can use rift to avoid units reaching the thumper (if yo care about that , and don't find better ways to do it).

With Borka. You can use mosh pit to knock down the target for the Thumper.

With Calandra. I think the best think she give to the thumper is the fact that you can reroll missed attack rolls via fate blassed helping you to knock down the thing you want to konk down with the thumper.

Warbeast. Don't forget the animus of the Bomber. Bomb Shelter is a nice animus to have when you want to use Range Finder.

Units. You said that stuff that knock down things are good for the thumper, and there are, there are good for every other model, and you should remember that the Thumper itself knock down things. It can be a great support for the other units. RAT7 hits more reliably than most of our melee troops without war cry, and if you can knock down things with the thumper melee troops will hit them better than with war cry.
    I've learned english reading Warmachine and Hordes books (I mean sorry... ¬¬')

And in most cases thumper needs 3+ or 7+ to hit (backstrike to def 12, in melee or not)

I second hoof it from Grissel as being useful. This is especially true if you feat first turn to get your whole army up the board fast for scenario play. The thumper will be way up field, and have range to pretty much your opponents entire army. Knock down heaviest galore, or slam the rest away from control points.

Destroyer of Worlds Sergeant Bus's Avatar

A podcast came out and said they might be making comeback in reinforcements. They are placed so can aim when they come I'm the board. Sounds sweet to me
    Matak Ironside Seals of Fate
    [Initiative:11+6][DEF: 10][ARM: 15+2AP+1DL][FP: 2/3]
    [Vitality: 15/15][PHY: 7][AGI: 5][INT: 3]

YouTube Channel

They will get one turn of aiming and a shot, which won't do much damage to heavies and still won't hit higher defenses, and then they will die.

It makes them better, but generally turn 2 they are where they want to be an aiming anyway, and it still doesn't make them very good for their points.

That remains the issue. For 1, maybe two rounds of shooting single targets, I would much rather spend 3 points on so many other things that would perform much better.

I would really add to the Gunny info that this is part of tier 2 (it's a unit) and tier 3 (gives them AD).

You see, that simple act of AD means that if you go second, you can shoot an aggressive player on turn one. You can snipe it with an impaler or with gunny and against medium targets with moderate or low DEF you can really slam the breaks on things.

We take the example of a Lancer...
    Sure, we need a 6+ to hit but that's not soooo bad. And when it does hit KD and 1 to 3 inches further away. And 2 or 3 inches means you just might be safe from spell slinging. Standing up before running costs focus too which might also save you from a spell being flung.

Concealment makes it a lot rougher, but try it with a Repenter (-1 MOV, -1 DEF, and -1 ARM) or a Bastion (-2 MOV, -2 DEF, and -2 ARM).

We're not talking GAME BREAKER. But in a list where you get trenches and cheaper bombers, it's a nice perk.
    The difference between a just and righteous warrior and a selfish and arrogant bully is razorwire thin and just as dangerous.

I love my thumpers in tier 4 gunny. I advance deploy them and then run them into the trench template his tier gives you. It gives me a solid firebase from which I can deny a flank or objective to my opponent. They can try to engage it, but double bombers really prevent that for the most part. In return the thumpers slam things and knock down heavies. The tier 4 really has some nice synergies.

Thumpers are fun, not competitive.
    Emmy [Init:n/a][FP: 3/3][Vit:13/13][DEF:15][ARM:10][Kills:5][Destroyed: 1][Captures:1][DamageTaken:5][ShotsFired:18]
    Jennan [Init:18][FP:0/3][Vit:13/13][DEF:11][ARM:14/16 (18 with Friendly Spell)][Kills:6]

Conqueror

I know someone who is testing them out as part of the Reserves contingent, along with a unit of Scouts.

He liked that it could be in an advanced position to fire when it came on the board, and usually the nearest objective was easily within firing range. It made it awfully convenient for a little board control.

The Scouts didn't fare so well in the game I saw. The Forsaken ran up to them and spooked them for too many rounds to properly screen the Thumper.
    Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolt
    They called me crazy?they called me insane?THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

The Thumper is fun to field, simply because it does something different than most other Factions' field artillery.

It is currently a non-competitive model for me due to limitations for several reasons:
    1. Can't shoot over my medium bases. Give it Ranked Attack or Arcing Fire and it's use-ability would sky-rocket. (Solution: Burrowers drop out of LOS!)
    2. Slow! Can't move and shoot. So I have to move the rest of my army to stay out of it's targeting lane(s). (Solution: Grissel1's Hoof It)
    3. Can't effect Stealth and poor chance of hitting/effecting higher DEF models (15) due to lack of blast. (Solution: Gunny's a Thumper fav.)
    4. Opposing heavy 'beasts can shake off the Knockdown and are just as close as they were to begin with for their attack run (Solution: Grim Feat)

3pts is a Fell Caller that buffs in virtually ANY army build, and is often needed.
    Thus my Thumper comes out to play with most of my Warlocks rarely. Thumper does come out with Gunny a bit though!

Oh... Horrible theorymachine moment while reading this thread. What if...

I'm currently in love with the War Wagon, right? But that MAT 5 is kinda sucky against the kind of high DEF stuff I want direct hits and knockdowns on. Is it worth my time and 5 points taking a Thumper and something utterly disposable like some whelps, just to use a whelps as a super-cheap bowling ball (cause in terms of points and impact on the game, I'll miss a whelp a lot less than a fennblade).

Run a whelp up to someone high def and surrounded by friends;

(nb - won't even matter if the target's terror-causing and the whelp Fails his command check - he just needs to be there...)

Make sure whelp's backside is visible to Thumper crew;

Use that thumper to slam that whelp into that model;

Activate the Wagon (from whatever safe location up to 24" away it's been parked at);

Drop that big knockdown dinner plate on their head. Clean up on knocked-down opponent models.

As I write this, I figure the best target would be something a) with hit boxes, so they've got a chance to survive the initial experience of being momentum-slammed to the tune of POW 14, and b) being, or being stood within three inches of, a stealthy caster.

Oh... Or forget the Wagon and take bombers... Take... A Gunnbjorn tier list(!)
    AD thumper crews? Whelps? Cheap bombers? Oh, my... Hours of slam/knockdown/boostable 4" AOEs...

This reply has now officially stepped into the realm of dumb theorymachine - I'm getting excited about Gunnbjorn...