bouncergriim

Default FAQ relisted from old forum

This is a work in progress FAQ thread that is a community work project. If you have any questions or new FAQ's to add feel free to post here.

All FAQ listed here are questions answered by Privateer Press Staff and not the opinions/interpretations of random players. This being said rules can be changed at anytime by Privateer Press, and hopefully will make it here to this thread.

Grinder Control/General
    G1. What is the Grinder's armor when it is in the catch? The Grinder's armor is 0. There was some confusion about the video saying it was 2, but that rule was changed prior to release, per PPS_Mike.
    G2. What can you throw the Grinder over? Everything but from behind the backboard. When the Grinder goes over a space that a Jack has reach that Jack can attempt to stop the Grinder, per PPS_Mike.
    G3. Can you attempt to stop a thrown Grinder when it is passing over the space another Jack/obstacle occupies? Yes. But it must be placed in an unoccupied space because no 2 figures can occupy the same space, per PPS_Yaple.
    G4. If a Jack has a hold on the Grinder can it get the holding bonus and attempt to stop the Grinder when it leaves its reach? Yes. The Grinder will get the armor bonus for holding and you get to attempt to stop the Grinder when it leaves the space, per PPS_Mike.
    G5. Can the Grinder be thrown over a Jack that is adjacent to the Jack throwing the Grinder? Yes. The Grinder ignores all obstacles including Jacks in your face, per PPS_Mike.
    G6. When a Grinder enters the Gutter does it stop where the marker that was placed? No. The Grinder will continue to move it's full movement when in the Gutter. (i.e. The Grinder will continue to move the full number of strikes made against it, per PPS_Mike.
    G7. Can a Runner pushing the Grinder under Clear Path go through a square which is within reach of an opposing Jack? No. The opposing Jack does not lose it's reach so the Grinder cannot be pushed through it's reach, per PPS_Mike.

G8. If a Grinder was heading towards a Jack for a collision and the jack was facing the Grinder (the Grinder will pass through the Jacks reach), will the jack be able to make a stop attempt? Yes, as long as he has at least one control arm, per PPS_Mike

G9. Does a runner with both the Interceptor and Magno-grip roll 5 boost die when making stops (2 control arms, +1 for magno-grip, +2 for interceptor)? No, it only gets 4 boost dice, that is the maximum number of boost dice as outlined on pg.3 in the boost dice section per Bouncergriim
    Movement
    M1. If a Jack starts in the reach of an opposing Jack does it need to make a Block Break to leave that space? Yes. You must make a Block Break when ever you leave an opposing Jack's reach unless an effect states otherwise, per PPS_Mike.
    M2. Can a Jack be knocked into the goal pit? No. The Jack will stop when it collides with the goal pit with no effect, per PPS_Mike.
    M3. Can I change my Jack's facing during any point during its activation? Yes. You can change your Jack's facing at anytime during your Jack's activation,(examples; during a combo attack, after stopping or throwing the Grinder.)per PPS_Mike.
    M4. If my Jack picks up a Grinder then set it down behind it can it than use it's movement after moving the Grinder? No. When you push the Grinder than set it down, even if your Jack did not move, your Jack has completed it's movement, per PPS_Mike.
    M5. If a Jack fails a Block Break roll does it's activation end? No. The rules clearly state that the Jack's advancement immediately ends, not it's activation. So if the Jack still has an attack left the Jack can still perform the attack, per PPS_Mike.
    Attacks General
    A1. Can a Rattled Jack still make an attack? Yes. A rattled Jack can still make a basic attack but cannot use Boost or Power dice, per PPS_Mike.
    A2. Will a Jack be knocked down if it collides with another Jack? No. It's movement will just cease with no other effect, per PPS_Mike.
    A3. Can a Jack be Rattled and Knocked down at the same time by a Runner with a Scrambler from behind? Yes. If a Jack is hit from behind with a Scrambler it will be Rattled and Knocked Down, per PPS_Yaple.
    A4. Can you use a ranged weapon on adjacent space? No. Self explained, per PPS_Mike.
    Power Attacks & Called Plays
    P1. How does Charge Boost work with Combo Attack? You get the Charge Boost on the first attack but not the second, per PPS_Yaple.
    P2. When making a Combo Attack on a target can you still make a second melee attack on that target if the first attack moves the target? No. The two attacks are separate and if the target is still not an eligible target you cannot attack it, per PPS_Yaple.
    P3. When using Steamroll can more than one target be knocked down by being thrown into the same obstacle? Yes. Steamroll states that you can move the targets in any direction, per PPS_Mike.
    P4. Can you combine an arms ability with Steamroll? No. A Jack does not use an arm during Steamroll and therefore does not benefit from arm abilities, per Bouncergriim? Ok, he is not a PPS but he is still right.
    P5. Can you call a play (besides Hit & Rip) anytime during your turn before you start or after you complete an activation? Yes. Self explained, per PPS_Mike.
    P6. Hit & Rip says to use the same dice, does that mean a re-roll? Yes. When using Hit & Rip you treat it as a re-roll with all the same dice including Boost and Power dice, per PPS_Mike.

P7. On protect it says you get "two bonus dice for every attack rolls against opposing steamjacks in your goal zone or within two spaces of it." Do these apply to power ATTACKS as well? And if yes how does Steamroll work with protect? Yes you get the bonus dice on all power attacks that have a target with in the two squares, this includes steamroll as long as at least one of the Jacks is within the two square rule, per PPS_Mike.
    AND MOST IMPORTANTLY:
    Privateer Press rules
    PP1. Have Fun.
    PP2. Play like you have a pair.
    Originally compiled by Coach B, and I will gladly relinquish this to him, I just wanted to get these up again, he did a great job with them so far. Updated/editted 12/3/09
    Last edited by bouncergriim; 12-23-2009 at 09:23 PM.

CoachB

I'm good.

Thanks for saving it from vanishing into the depths of ....... forum makeover. Not very dramatic saying it.

Thanks again BG.

CoachB

Exclamation

I think it would help if this got pinned again so we don't have to re-answer the same questions.

Any help from the PPS's?

With the forum issues I can no longer edit my own original post here, Overall I think this covers most situations so I will not be trying to update it anymore, unless something glaring happens. However, feel free to add post that you think will add to the overall usefulness of these FAQs.
    Last edited by bouncergriim; 02-07-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    Beware of Warcasters named "TiM?"...And fluffy white bunnies.
    If you are ever in Ft. Worth, PM me for a game or two, I also play other sports/miniature boardgames!

CoachB

Well we could get this sticky unstickied and restart a new one. There are going to be new rules questions with the XGL now out.

Grapple - I haven't seen this addressed specifically.

It says "place the target within your reach" if successful, but if you can change your facing at anytime, that means that really, I can place the target in any square adjacent to me. Which is right?

CoachB

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy850 View Post
    Grapple - I haven't seen this addressed specifically.

It says "place the target within your reach" if successful, but if you can change your facing at anytime, that means that really, I can place the target in any square adjacent to me. Which is right?
    I'm going to say yes if it is the Grinder and you have control on it and no if it is a Jack, my unofficial ruling at this time. The reason is because you are not controlling a jack and the grapple is instantaneous. So the jack is pulled to you and stops, even if you change your Jack's facing the Opposing jack does not move with you.

Wow. Been away for a long time due to WM/H burnout. So sorry about the lateness. I hope to get back into Grind and keep an eye on this forum.
    Last edited by CoachB; 10-24-2010 at 10:10 AM.

What square does the Grinder need to be in to throw it Directly in front or just in the control area of the jack, What direction can you throw it, Where do you start counting from? Do you count the same way as movement?
    Matt

Austin, TX

Cool

just picked up my box for the second time to play and I have a couple of questions straight out of the rulebook:

1: Do the 'Steam vent' Squares actually have any rules?
    2: What happens when you throw a Jack into another Jack?

Quote Originally Posted by WildManTX View Post
    What square does the Grinder need to be in to throw it Directly in front or just in the control area of the jack, What direction can you throw it, Where do you start counting from? Do you count the same way as movement?
    as long as it is in your area of control, any direction because after you pick it up you may change your facing (in fact you may change the facing of a jack at any point always when it is active, this works well with the grappler also) and count like movement from your starting square
    If you are ever in Ft. Worth, PM me for a game or two, I also play other sports/miniature boardgames!

Quote Originally Posted by Iaphyr View Post
    just picked up my box for the second time to play and I have a couple of questions straight out of the rulebook:

1: Do the 'Steam vent' Squares actually have any rules?
    2: What happens when you throw a Jack into another Jack?
    1. no special rules, just decoration.
    2. Jack stops, no dazed rattled, just stops.

Questions asked on Board Game Geek:
    1/ If the grinder is on a square adjacent to the last square a Jack can move to (with its normal move), can I declare a push to just move the Grinder to a different square inside this Jack's reach?

2/ can a jack or the grinder move diagonally between two obstacles? (e.g. two knocked down Jacks, or one friendly and a column)

also, found some typos (if possible to edit the original post) :
    G6 ... No. The Grinder will continue to move its full movement when in the Gutter. ...
    G7 ...No. The opposing Jack does not lose its reach so the Grinder cannot be pushed through it's reach...
    G8 ...(the Grinder will pass through the Jack's reach)
    M1 ... Yes. You must make a Block Break whenever you leave...
    M4 ...down behind it can it than use its movement after...
    M5. If a Jack fails a Block Break roll does its activation end? No. The rules clearly state that the Jack's advancement immediately ends, not its activation.
    A2 ... No. Its movement will just cease with no other effect.
    P4. Can you combine an arm's ability with Steamroll? No.
    Last edited by carthaginian; 12-15-2011 at 02:51 AM. Reason: typos

Default Another question

It says when you are rattled that you cannot use any boost dice or power dice. Since you use boost dice in order to try and catch the grinder if if it passes through your reach, does this mean that a rattled steamjack cannot try to intercept the grinder?

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar

That is exactly what it means.

Another question. The Handler ability from the XGL expansion states-Once, during this steamjack’s advance while pushing the Grinder, this steamjack can move into a space within an opposing steamjack’s reach. Does this let a steamjack just push the grinder through another jacks reach completely, ignoring them for the duration of one move? Or could I otherwise get an example of how the ability would work?

Destroyer of Worlds tutenkharnage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArtificeKnight View Post
    Another question. The Handler ability from the XGL expansion states-Once, during this steamjack’s advance while pushing the Grinder, this steamjack can move into a space within an opposing steamjack’s reach. Does this let a steamjack just push the grinder through another jacks reach completely, ignoring them for the duration of one move? Or could I otherwise get an example of how the ability would work?
    The basic rules state, "While pushing the Grinder, a steamjack cannot advance into or out of a space within an opposing steamjack’s reach." The Handler ability allows the steamjack to advance into an opposing steamjack's reach while pushing the Grinder, but it does not allow him to leave that space. Does that answer your question?

Yep, perfectly, thanks.

I'm new and my question is does pushing the grind count as a movement or an action