Destroyer of Worlds computertrucker's Avatar

Default What type of store do you prefer?

Just curious as to what type of store do people mostly prefer. Dedicated Game Stores or Comic stores that have put aside space for Games?.

The Local Game store I go to, while nice, suffers from being a comic store and having only a few gaming tables for wargamers crammed in a corner. As a person who travels all over and gets to see different types of stores. I honestly prefer stores that are more dedicated to gamers.

I realize for the store owners who are business owners they have to do what is profitable. To all the gamers though. What do you prefer? Or does it matter?

Also do you prefer stores that have mainly open gaming nights,where you have a little bit of everything going on, or stores that set aside different days/nights each week where they preserve their gaming space for people only playing certain games?

Obviously Tournaments are special events.

One of my favorite stores that I used to go to when I as younger was open gaming mainly. This was back in the 90s. I remember they held this WFB giant campaign, on Saturday People would come in throughout the day and plot their movement on a HUGE world map the Store Owner campaign creator had made *hex map* poster size. Then as the day went on if you hung out people would find out if they encountered any other players armies or encounters. They would have all week to fight any battles that needed to fought though. They were not locked into coming in one day to doing it. There were always people there playing different things. Groups would get together every now and then and come in mass but no set days. Was enjoyable.
    Last edited by computertrucker; 08-19-2011 at 04:52 AM.

I would think most would prefer a dedicated store. A dedicated store would fit all hobby needs from purchasing, painting, to gaming and tournaments.

But it all depends. We had a period a couple of years back where the local gaming store closed down and there was no place buy or play any miniature games. At that time I would have been thrilled to walk in a comic shop and pick up something but I was forced to do things online or out of town.

If I were opening a store I would try to be both but the cost of a lease does not always allow for this.

Right now we're pretty lucky. We have three shops that stock miniatures. Only downside is that they only stock GW and historical soft plastic. Hopefully that will change soon.

I'll take either as long as it has a good proprietor, clientel and ample gaming space!
    "We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions."

i'd prefer a decidated gaming store but that isn't really a readily accesible option for me. there's an amazing comic/game store that carries an excellent selection of board/card games not to far from me. the wife and i go because she likes to buy art books and i pick up games. sadly, i have to travel abotu 45 min to an hour to pick up my privateer press items. the good news is that the store i travel to is GAMES + which is incredible and has an unbelievable selection of games, miniatures, paint, etc.

We have two local Game Stores here in Cedar Rapids Tempest Games and Battlezone Games... I hangout and do business with only one store Tempest Games and its because the owner while a friend of mine also runs the store with what I expect from any store I visit.... Clean, friendly, well organized, knowledge of product, a place to game, willingness to listen to host different games and good customer service. In my honest opinion there are some stores that are in business because the have been able to get a foot hold in a market that has very loyal customers that do not have as many options... the internet is great for deals but if we as a player have no place to play we have just become a collector. I am not trying to be biased or to bash the other game store here in town.....Take my hometown we had a comics and game store that lasted for over 20 years but the owner finally got just tired of running it and the last five years the place started to look like an episode of hoarders... Also the other thing a store owner/Clerk better do is when I walk into a store say hello or can i help you, don't ignore me... espesically if I am at the counter with product and money in hand... that has happened a few times at other games/comic stores...

Remember- Meat Shields need not volunteer

Its about atmosphere for me. What do they do to make the players want to be there? Wanting to be there and wanting the store to stick around is a good incentive to spend more money locally for what you could buy for 1/3 less online.

Although I do love comics, I would prefer a dedicated gaming store all the way. I really don't see why anyone would prefer a comic store with little space.

Destroyer of Worlds computertrucker's Avatar

Ya i hate stores where the people who are supposed to be working are sitting at tables playing games. There is a time to work and a time to play.. thats for sure. That doesnt meant that the store owners, workers shouldnt be able to socialize with the customers as long as they are working first, and socializing 2nd.

I don't mind if they're playing or anything as long as they don't keep you waiting at all if you need help.

My local game store is in another country, and I have to get on a plane and do immigration form.s just to buy or play anything.

So as it stands, any game or comic shop would be cool.

I just moved to a new area (Portland) for school, so I haven't had a chance to check out any shops, being here literally less than week. In my old town though, the shop there was mostly gaming (~ 1/2 40k/DnD, rest FoW, Wm/H, WHFB), but had space amongst the stands where comics were kept, and seemed to do a brisk trade in them things and MTG. The tables in the back were rarely occupied by MTG players, but there was usually a DnD game going on. All in all, it was pretty small, but the community it supported wasn't huge either. In stores I prefer: plentiful tables, a good terrain stock, good product stock, helpful owners, good lighting, lots of windows, accessible locations, great players, friendly owners, free massages and candy, and a pony. Realistically, I would settle for a "fine" area, with some tables, a not-actively-repulsive crowd/owner, and for PP to settle their supply issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hackjack View Post
    My local game store is in another country, and I have to get on a plane and do immigration form.s just to buy or play anything.

So as it stands, any game or comic shop would be cool.
    Boy, I feel spoiled now :/
    " Nothing is true, everything is permissible "

Destroyer of Worlds

I think Cap hit the nail on the head. It's all about atmosphere. Of course we all want a store with tons of tables and terrain but I can tell you I only give my business to stores that appreciate it. I'm too old to put up with dirty stores and rude uninterested clerks.