(Really a Sharkmoose) Sharkmoose's Avatar

Default Favorite two monster setup?

What is your favorite two monster setup and why? How do you back your two monsters up with your unit build and what maps and buildings do you use?

BEGIN!

Quote Originally Posted by jugglervr View Post
    i've never played 2-monster, but I'll speak up for gearbox, who shared his views before he vanished.

ultra rakadon + some form of hondo. Armored in all but one form. Fill the map with spire buildings, and slingshot hondo across the world.
    Not to threadjack, but is gearbox ok? Havent heard from him in a month of sundays...

I would say the best two monster set up is Xixorax and Xaxor. A jumping Xixoroax is just horrifying to deal with... I would go with units that compliment Xaxor... A couple of Razor Beetles, 2-3 Explodomites, Warlord Rifa, Grunt and Elite Cliff Hopper, 2 or more Spy Flies (I go with 2 regular and 2 Glass, but only because I don't have more regular), and then fill out the rest with splashes.. a Marauder for Crowd control, Nautlius Blaster for AP and Gorge, and the despised Interceptor and C-Type. I might consider dropping an Explodomite for a Chomper. As for buildings, gotta go with 5 Nuke Plants, 4 Sewage, SoL, Tokyo Triumph and an EPP. And you must go with Killer Canals any time you got Xaxor in the mix.

However I have recently had some good success with Ultra Legionnaire and Mega Incinerus... one win away from the finals of the largest Double Monster tournament yet... and I like the idea of Mega Sky Sentinel with Mega Incinerus. Speed kills.

And where is Gearbox? Hope he is OK.

this should be in PM, but others might wonder, so we can take it to PM after this if you're curious.

I think he's just taking a break. He fell off the face of the earth, answered one text from me, told another of our regulars that he wants quantums if they come around, and that's it. We're following the tactic of not bugging him for now.
    Oh well then if it isn't because of anything serious, I think I can then say I think he needed to take a break after the drubbing I gave him.

Well, maybe this should be qualified as in-faction. Recently, local wargaming group has played a lot of two vs. two games, but we always go in-faction. For Subterrans, I like Drillcon (alpha & mega) + Blastik (alpha & ultra). This pair wipes out the opponents powerbase fast, can play defensive, provides nice "blue" abilities for units, and can still lay the hurt on (2+ damage per turn). We`ve found that controlling power dice generation is the name of the game in multi-monster games because there isn`t really enough action-dice to go around. My other faction, Lords of Cthul, is still a work in progress. On paper, Ulgroth + Mogroth (alphas & ultras) looks powerful, but Mogroth always seems to get abused early in the game (he`s the kicking-boy for our group in general).

DanTrollBlitzer

Two monster is such a fun format and there are tons of great combos out there. The Uber Corporation Megas seem to run well together. I really like Mega Gorgadratron and Mega Mechathugrosh together. Both blast from far away and have great dice efficiency. Units like chompers and shadow gates are popular and help out a lot with radar and cloak. Robo brontoxes and one or two MIRVs (really just need one but if you like playing it safe take two) are great utility pieces as well. Underground Network buildings are a must in any collaborator force, but the PP building isn't bad either. Don't take it for R&D, take it because it's an indestructable screening piece.

My favorite combo though is Mega Mantacon and Ultra Dynastavus. Lots of movement, Hit & Run, and both monsters capable of doing two damage is great. I like to run blasting units with the Duo to put some damage on the enemy as soon as possible. Putting a fire kami in with a blast team of whatever (preferably lead by a cliff hopper) is almost a must to keep up power dice generation. I'll throw in a single vice pincher from time to time to help stuff up those annoying units like Cthulabites and Interceptors, or have it go sit on an enemy spawn point. Teleporter maps are great for destroyers in general so bring it if you can.

Anyone have preferences for Tritons or Martain Menace in two monster setups?

Combatant

I tried out Mega Phobos-7 and Ultra Anglax not that long ago. I really liked them together, but I need a more practice.
    The units can become a bit scarier offence-wise. And Hunters actually worked well in this force.

but... hunters don't benefit from high impact... what made this a good synergy?
    Actualy, since "If this unit is the same faction as your monster, this unit gains +1 blast B-Die." the unit is a hunter AND there is a monster being played that IS the same faction, and it is YOUR monster, you do get the blast die boost! Two monsters, yeehaa!

Combatant

high impact... what made this a good synergy...
    Yeah, it was the Blue High Impact from Anglax that helped.
    Weaken from the nullifier was used as well as weaken from Ultra Anglax.
    And I'd bring out 2 Hunters (if they weren't already out), park them adjacent to Mega Phobos to benefit from his Red Armor Piercing, and they could fire up to 7 spaces away, thanks to Mega Phobos Blue Radar.
    So they'd be using 1-2 B-die, 1-3 A-die, and the target would be -2 to -3 defence, depending on target building, monster or unit.

Not saying it's the best team up, but I caught some people off guard, and it was a fun team up.

My Power Base would consist of a building with High Security to get another blast B-die and an Elite Despoiler with 2 Nautilus Blasters. I'd use a bunch of low defense buildings so the Nauty's could target them on first turn, shoot them for 2 P-die each shot thanks to Power Gorge, and open up a path for Phobos or Anglax.

Just adding, another little trick. At one point, I had also moved Mega Phobos, on his monster turn, adjacent to the Despoiler, to take advantage of the Despoilers Red Sniper. Then Mega Phobos blasted the target at -2 (can't remember if weaken was involved at that point), hit and run adjacent to target monster, and Brawl Lightning Attacked other monster.
    Before any attack like this took place, I would either move Anglax into position to power attack afterwards, (if I had the power dice) or Brawl, Stomp or do something to gain power dice before the attack, to make sure I had some reds.
    Last edited by Cottondonkey; 09-02-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Combatant

Spotter would be really cool for the Hunters/Despoilers/Nautilus Blasters but it might be a bit much to get -4 enemies.
    As well as, Spotter is Agenda only. The Invaders don't have anything with Spotter.

My friend has started out with Elementals and has all of the monsters (including one mega...Hurric****, I think). Can anyone recommend a good two-monster set up?

DanTrollBlitzer

Best thread ever...

Yes, I randomly wondered in here for no apparent reason, and I'm looking over these posts wondering, 'what in the world of all that is awesome are they talking about?'
    "The question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

Bump. Just because this thread looked like it needed some love.

If you're having trouble with the profanity filter, use Hurricanis as the spelling.

Nothing else.

Donald

Working on a few different teams for upcoming conventions. Looking at pairing Mega Yasheth with one of the following:

Xixorax/Xaxor/Mucustos

I did some play testing with building placements, and opening moves just to see how these combos might work. They look promising.