Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Ask the Studio!

Quote Originally Posted by MitchDunn View Post
    Was curious on the Recipe for Wurmwood and gallows grove tree bark... any help with that one?
    Mitch,

The trees in studio are painted with a quite minimal colour scheme.
    Basecoat - Gun Corp Brown
    Shade - Battlefield Brown
    High - Rucksack Tan
    do your shade as a glaze after highlighting to darken the look of the model

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Light View Post
    Yes, sorry, that was a bit too general. I was specifically wondering at the gold/brass and the dark blueish black cloak that Ragnor is wearing. It's a different look than usually seen for Trollkin.
    Ah!!!
    The brass was painted just like all brass on trolls.
    Base - Molten Bronze
    Shade - Thornwood with a drop of Brown Ink
    Shade - Umbral Umber
    Highlight - Rhulic Gold
    High - Rhulic mixed with Radiant Platinum

The cloak is based with Thamar Black and blended up using Greatcoat Greay, Bastion Grey, and Cryx Bane Base

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk_Steel View Post
    Hey folks,
    what is the "brown Metal" around the Inflictors Back Piece, right above the head. Looks like a mix of bronze and silver or something weird. Looks cool.
    Dirk,
    That is the Blighted Gold recipe from the FoW: Cryx book.
    Base with Blighted Gold
    Shade with a mix of Cryx Bane Base and Brown Ink
    Shade with a mix of Umbral Umber and Coal Black
    Highlight with Brass Balls
    Apply Matte sealant
    Final Highlight with a mix of Brass Balls and Radiant Platinum

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by flynnt View Post
    Dallas!

I have seen pictures of your Una2 and she looks gorgeous! I have to ask, what did you use for the skin? It seems to use browns more than reds or pinks, doesn't it?

I like that skin tone of a person that has been outside and seen some sun!
    Flynnt,

Thanks sir. I really enjoyed painting Una. Her skin is based off of the skin recipe in FoH: Circle

Basecoat - Midlund Flesh with a touch of Khardic Flesh
    Shade - Midlund Flesh with a touch of Battledress Green and a drop of Mixing Medium
    Shade - Midlund Flesh with a touch of Skorne Red and a drop of MM
    Shade - Skorne Red mixed with Battledress Green. This should be a warm brown and used for the feature lines
    Highlight - Midlund Flesh
    Highlight - Ryn Flesh with a drop or 2 of Midlund Flesh

I kept her on the warm side with the Khardic and controlled the placement of the shadows

Hope this helps!

Dallas! That helps a ton!

Also What is the "gray" used on Haley Future's cloak. It's such a pure cool gray, the closest I can think of is Trollblood Highlight, but that's a "warm gray" What color is that?!

Thanks for all your help!
    Dirk,
    Matt painted the Haley 3 models, but looking at them it seems to be either 2 options.

Basecoat - either Jack Bone or Hammerfall Khaki mixed with Trollblood Highlight
    Shade with Bastion Grey
    Highlight by adding Menoth White Highlight to the base colour

As you can see, the mix is slightly different. Give each a go on a test piece and see which one you like the best.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Jherb5000 View Post
    Can you share your ideas on painting albino trolls, your madrak3 skin tones are exactly what I wish to achieve with my albino trolls. You said it was experimental... but id like to read your interpretation. It is the hands down best albino skin tone of all painted so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by gilljoy View Post
    Dallas!

How are you painting the skin of Madrak3? It's the exact colour I've been trying to get for my albino trolls
    OK! OK!
    I have received a lot of requests for the Madrak3 skin recipe. So, I will put this here, but remember, he is not done and I may need to go back and give him some highlights after all of the other elements are in place. If so,I wlii update this p[ost.

Base - Trollblood Highlight mixed with a drop of Trollblood Base
    Shade - Add a touch of Cryx Bane Base to the base colour
    Shade - Add a touch of Trollblood Base to the base colour
    Shade - Mix Murderous Magenta with a touch of Trollblood Base. Use this to define the face.
    Shade - Make a glaze with the previous mix by adding water. Give the brow, cheeks, and lips a heavy glaze. Shade the rest of the skin with a light glaze
    Highlight - Trollblood Highlight
    Highlight - Trollblood Highlight mixed with Morrow White

I may do more highlighting later. Not sure at this point

The chin growths are a
    Basecoat - Sanguine Base mixed with Murderous Magenta
    Highlight - Murderous Magenta
    Highlight - Murderous Magenta mixed with Morrow White

Hope this helps!

Mr. Dallas,

I have a question about how would you paint desert bases, I have been looking at pictures for reference, on one side Arizona kind of desert (more red than anything else) and also a more Sahara type of desert (more yellow).

I have thought about using yellows for the Sahara, mostly base with sulfuric yellow, add some highlights with menoth white highlight and then some final white yellows and for the Arizona desert I would use more of a Skorne red with bloodstone brown and some oranges for highlights.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Flynnt,
    Sounds like you are doing it right. Reference material is one of your most powerful tools as a painter. For the yellow type desert I would be looking at Menoth White Highlight, Moldy Ochre, Sulphuric Yellow, Bloodstone, Umbral Umber. Possibly Hearthfire or Ember Orange, as there can be a bit of that look to the sand depending on time of day.
    For the red type sand...Khador Red Highlight, Skorne Red, Bloodstone, Bloodtracker Brown, Sanguine Base, Exile Blue, and Battlefield Brown.

Take some time examining and find your inspiration. Good luck

Heads up painters, I am on vacation this week, so any questions will not be answered until I get back. Til then, keep on painting!

Quote Originally Posted by Poodleswithguns View Post
    How was Elara's hair painted?

Greetings,
    Elara2's hair was painted as such

Base - Trollblood Higlight mixed with Menoth White Highlight
    Shade - Turquoise Ink
    Shade - Blue Ink
    Shade - Blue Ink mixed with Turquoise Ink and Thamar Black
    Highlight - Paint hair strands with base colour
    Highlight - Add Menoth White Highlight to base. Make smaller hair strands
    Highlight - Pure Menoth White Highlight

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by DouglasE View Post
    I'm wondering what colours were used to paint the lower portion of Reznik1's leather around his legs?
    Looks like a reddish leather.

http://privateerpress.com/warmachine...servath-reznik

Matt painted the Reznik1, so I will have to take some guesses. Looks like a basecoat of Bootstrap Leather followed by a wash of Brown Ink. Then it looks like a deeper shade was applied with a mix of Brown Ink and Thamar Black. His highlights seem quite minimal, most likely a touch of Bootstrap.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Jubby View Post
    Another one for you Dallas:
    Do we have any guide on hellmouth
    Hellmouth!!!
    This dude was fun. The Hellmouth was painted following the guides laid out in FoH: Legion. The skin, Chitin, and the internal mouth are all there with a slight variation on the mouth. When I did the mouth, I highlighted with a lot of little lines of Carnal Pink. Then I glazed using the recipe for the sensory nodes from the book. I then went an extra step further by adding a touch of Beaten Purple into my glaze to add some depth to the open maw.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Tzar View Post
    I don't remember if this was asked or even answered and don't seem to see it anywhere, but what colors were used for Fiona the Black and for which parts?
    Going with the new Fiona on this

Black
    Base - Thamar Black
    Highlight - Greatcoat Grey
    Highlight - Greatcoat with a touch of Menoth White Highlight

Purple
    Base - Beaten Purple
    Shade - Coal Black
    Highlight - Beaten Purple with a drop of Morrow White
    Highlight - Add more Morrow to Beaten Purple

Trim
    Base - Underbelly Blue
    Shade - BAstion Grey
    High - Menoth White Highlight

Hair
    Base - Trollblood Highlight
    Highlight - Trollblood Highlight mixed with Morrow White to create strands
    Highlight - Morrow White for more strands
    Shade - Brown Ink glaze
    Shade - Add Exile Blue to Brown Ink For the darkest areas and to define the strands

Skulls
    FoW: Cryx

Steel and Brass
    FoW: Mercs

Leather
    FoW: Cygnar

Glow
    Base - Arcane Blue
    Shade - Meredious Blue
    High - Menoth White Highlight

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Haven View Post
    Hi there
    Can you please tell me what colors can i use to make the edge of the weapon from the Druids of Orboros units? I mean the worked wood effect that you guys give to the model...
    Right now i don't have P3 paints so if you can give me a work around with vallejo or GW paints it would help a lot
    Big Hugs and Thanks
    Blue,
    The edge of the Druids Voulges are painted with a base coat of Beast Hide, shade with Battlefield Brown, and edged with Jack Bone.
    I am unfamiliar with the other paint lines you mentioned, sorry. I am sure your FLGS can get you P3 paints if they do not already have it in stock
    Good Luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arigeta View Post
    How would you paint lightning or spell effects?

I just posted this tutorial, but am curious to know how you would paint this type of effect. As this is a spell (and a troll one no less), i am thinking shades of blue, but would be interested to hear any other inspiration.

Cheers!
    Arigeta,

I would start by base coating in Menoth White Highlight. Glaze with Arcane Blue. Add Meredious Blue to Arcane and apply sparingly to the deepest recesses. Add Menoth White Highlight to Arcane Blue for some highlights followed by pure Menoth White highlight on the extreme edges. Glaze with a 10:1 Blue Ink:Water mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Aniodia View Post
    Hey there! I'm looking to do a nice, dark teal/turquoise scheme for my Retribution army, and have more or less settled on using Coal Black as my main color. I'm not worried too much about shading, but highlighting is where I'm stumbling a bit. I was planning on topping out at Meredius Blue for my highest highlight, but when trying it out on a test model to see how it looks, it feels like there's a mid-tone between the two colors that's missing. Even with blending, the Meredius just seems a bit too bright. I've tried Trollblood Base, both with and without some turquoise ink mixed in, and it just seems more blue-grey than the blue-green I'm going for.

Am I just overlooking a color that fits in that particular niche, is there an easy way to mix up a color that works if there isn't, or am I just SOL?
    Aniodia,
    Try a 50/50 mix of Meredius and Coal Black for that midtone you are looking for. You can add a bit of the Turquoise Ink into that to liven it up. Then add small amounts of Morrow White to create the highlights. Hope that is what you are looking for.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi6400 View Post
    Need help because forum search is failing me. I'm looking for color mixes and potentially a painting guide for wood paneling details. Like the wood plank floor for Scarre.
    Yoshi

The wood plank of Skarre was done as so.
    Fill the base with P3 putty. Smooth the surface. Let cure for 24 hours. polish with super fine sandpaper.
    Prime with P3 Black Primer
    Basecoat - Gun Corps Brown
    Mix a touch of Umbral Umber in to Thamar Black and draw in the wood planks with the tip of your brush (dont forget nail holes, I use square head nails in mine)
    Use Menoth White Base to draw wood grain into the planks
    Mix a small amount of Yellow Ink and Bloodstone into Brown Ink and blend it over the surface concentrating on the area in witch the model will be place
    Add Blue Ink and Cryx Bane Base to the previous mix for a darker shade and blend it as well
    At this point I attached Skarre and mixed some Thamar Black into my shade colour for some final dark areas around her barrel and between her and the barrel

Hope this helps

What are your tips and tricks for keeping mixed paint from drying out while working on a unit? Or do you do such things?
    Dirk

When painting units I paint assembly line style going from model to model with the same colours until I am finished with each. To keep my paint consistent and from drying out, I use 6 well artist pallets. They are super cheap and available at any art supply store. Additionally, the wells are about the same size as a P3 paint bottle so If you need to step away from painting for a bit, you can pop a bottle over the paint to keep it wet longer. I have used this to keep paints wet overnight

Quote Originally Posted by Awk View Post
    Hi Dallas,

Thanks so much for sharing all your advice and "painting secrets". Can't tell you how valuable I find them.

My question is about Idrian Skirmishes, I've just picked up a box and am getting ready to paint them. What's causing me concerns though is the flesh colour. How would you go about achieving that colour or somethings close to it in your opinion?

Thanks again!
    Awk,

Good question! I want to do a tutorial on this subject.

Idrian Flesh is a good base colour for dark skin tones.
    Shade with Umbral Umber
    Add Midlund Flesh to Idrian Flesh to highlight
    These are your 3 basic steps. You can vary it up by using Battlefield Brown, a touch of Bloodtracker Brown or other colours here and there. But the 3 steps laid out are a good start.

Hope this helps

Hey Dallas, I'm looking at Barathrum and he doesn't seem to be the same green/grey color used on the Cryx's studio. Am I right?

I really like how he looks.
    Flynnt,

Thanks sir! I really enjoyed painting him. You are right...but not quite

Barathrum is painted with the exact recipe laid out in FoW: Cryx, but I wanted him to be dark and oily. So, when doing the shade steps I over shaded the model and added a final shade with a mix of Blue Ink, Brown Ink, and a touch of Thamar Black. Then I kept the highlights quite minimal. This also made the the green glow a bit more punchy with the black around it for contrast.

Hope this helps and happy painting

Pics? I have busy work that I can paint in between, but my mixed colors tend to dry out if I leave it for 10 mins... What is this well you speak of?!
    http://http://www.rexart.com/product624.html

I just saw the paint job on the Satyxis gunslingers, they look great. Were blues and purples used for the skin? It does remind me of the legion skin color composition.
    The Legion skin moves to white, where here I kept the skin desaturated and dull.

the recipe is

Base - Trollblood Base, Underbelly Blue
    Shade - Trollblood Base, Bastion Grey, drop of Beaten Purple
    Shade 2 - Add more Beaten Purple to shade mox
    Shade 3 - Beaten Purple, Traitor Green, touch of Midlund Flesh
    High - Carnal Pink, Ryn Flesh, Underbelly Blue, touch of Beaten Purple
    High 2 - Carnal Pink, Ryn Flesh, Underbelly Blue

My goal was to keep the classic purple skin tones of the OG Satyxis Raiders, but just update the recipe.

Happy Painting!

Quote Originally Posted by Erikjust83 View Post

I wanted to ask if i where to paint the Sea Witch like in the picture, which colors should i use?
    I am mostly interested in the clothes she has on.
    The 3 core colours I would use for the cloth are Umbral Umber, Bootstrap Leather, and Moldy Ochre. Thamar Black can be used to define the different elements and a touch of Bloodtracker Brown can be added to Bootstrap to give you contrast if needed.

Hope this helps (I wanna see the results)

Quote Originally Posted by tdwg83 View Post
    The Lys healer appears to be a blue scheme as opposed to the normal green one. What was the recipe used here?
    Brendan Roy painted the Lyss Healer and he is out for the week. I could dig through his notebook...but I will wait and make sure you get your answer when he returns

Quote Originally Posted by tdwg83 View Post
    The Lys healer appears to be a blue scheme as opposed to the normal green one. What was the recipe used here?
    The Lys Healer's cloth was painted with this recipe:

Base - Gnarls Green + Cygnar Blue Highlight (the ratio is about 1 parts gnarls and 2 parts Cygnar. You want the mix to favor the blue over the green.)
    Shade 1 - Coal Black
    Shade 2 - Turquoise Ink + a little Thamar Black
    Highlight 1 - Return to your base mixture and add in Underbelly Blue
    Highlight 2 - Continue to add Underbelly Blue to the first highlight mix.
    Highlight 3 - This is entirely optional for the cloth, but if you want some extreme points of highlight you can go with straight underbelly blue.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Awk View Post
    I've never been able to effectively paint the bandages/wrappings found on models like Idrians, Nihalators and Alligeint Order of the Fists.

I paint them, wash them and then highlight, but they always come out looking dirty or muddy. I'm looking for clean, crisp.

How are they done in the studio? Maybe paint and then very crisp highlights? Very curious.
    AWK,
    For cloth wraps, I usually basecoat in a light colour such as Jackbone, Trollblood Highlight, or Hammerfall Khaki. Then wash, but a controlled wash (do not just slop it on, guide it and such) of a dark tone...Bastion Grey, Cryx Bane Highlight, ect ect. You can then go in with a very dark colour like Battlefield Brown, Umbral Umber, or Cryx Bane Base and line in the deepest recesses. Then I come back and pick up the edge with my highlight colour. Keep the highlights tight and minimal. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeX83 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked already but how was ragnors skin painted?
    Ragnor was painted with the recipe straight from the Forces of Hordes: Trollbloods book.

Destroyer of Worlds ZealousJohnny's Avatar

Hello Studio fellas

I have been considering painting up my Skorne models of late and have encountered a problem.

I'm trying to get an orange/brick red terracotta tone. My issue is that some of the Skorne officially painted models are the tone I'm looking for and others are considerably more 'red'. I was wondering if there is a way to find a tone closer to the Skorne red-orange, as I'm struggling to not create a mix that is either definite red or definite orange.

What I'm looking to replicate is something similar to the official pictures of Makeda2, Mordikaar, and Molik Karn.

Any help you could give me would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Johnny
    Interested in starting out Warmachine/Hordes but don't know where to begin? PM me and ask me about setting up a Vassal game or two where I can show you the ropes and you can try out different factions before you buy.

Dallas,

What colour did you basecoat Madrak3's tartan in?
    Madraks tartan was basecoated with Hammerfall Khaki. I then added the lines with Skorne Red and Iosan Green. Shade with Battlefield Brown and Umbral Umber. Add some highlights with Menoth White Highlights.

Hope that helps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZealousJohnny View Post
    PPS_Dallas

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Basically I'm trying to achieve a red orange that looks similar to those in these pictures:

Rather than the more 'red' red that seems to be more common among the studio Skorne models such as:

They are so similar however than I'm willing to accept that it may just be the pictures rather than the actually model colour itself.

Whenver I try to get an effect that sits somewhere between true red and a more rusty colour I either get very bright red or very bright orange.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this, admittedly fluffy, request for advice.

Cheers

Johnny

The orange/Red recipe is located on pg 97 of the FoH: Skorne book. Here is the short and dirty

Base - Skorne Red
    Shade - Umbral Umber/Exile Blue 50/50
    Shade 2 - add Coal Black to the shade mix
    Highlight - Mix Skorne Red with Ember Orange
    Highlight 2 - Add Ember Orange and Heartfire to the mix
    Highlight 3 - Ember Orange
    Highlight 4 - Line of Ember Orange/Heartfire mix

Make sure you do not blow out the Skorne Red midtone. The final shade should be quite minimal and even your first shade needs to be just where you need it to create contrast and definition.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Valkea View Post
    Hi Dallas!
    I know that these are older models, but I was wondering what your best guess would be for the recipe that makes up the purple in Lylyth2's cloak and the legionnaire standard-bearer's flag?
    Thanks for you help!
    Valkea

Valkea,

Try a mix of Beaten Purple, Coal Black, and Trollblood Highlight. Shade with with Exile Blue mixed with Umbral Umber. Add Morrow White to the base colour for the highlights. Matt D painted her. This is my estimate if I were attempting to replicate.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur.whateley View Post
    Modeling question:

My vengers, having been assembled and painted for ages, sometimes start to lean and I've been forced to heat them up to get the resin horses to stand back up straight. What's the best method (besides not taking them in even a slightly warm vehicle to the game store) to keep them standing up straight? The legs seem a little too thin to run a long pin through accurately.
    There are quite thin pins available in the P3 hobby line. It is quite possible to do so with the .5mm pin set. Outside of that, reheating occasionally is your only option I am aware of. Resin is plastic after all.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Loki77515 View Post
    Quick question, what light-blubs do you guys use to light miniatures when you take pictures of them? I want to be able to take better pics, but I'm having trouble finding the pure-white lights instead of soft-yellow-glow lights.
    I am no photographer, so I asked Bob the photographer. He says "For the solicitation shots I use LED white balanced strips, for the studio lights I use Sunlite 250 watt 120 volt Halogen bulbs."

I do not understand those words, I hope you do

Hey Dallas,

Just wondering what colour is the storm knight unit's under armour painted with?
    Ahh sorry I wasn't sure what that bit was called, the quilting.
    The quilting is basecoated with Beast Hide.
    We then shade with Battlefield Brown
    Highlight with Jack Bone
    The first shade and highlight should be used to communicate the flow of the cloth, think about the cloth as a solid piece not little diamonds.
    Refine the cloth texture by adding Brown Ink to Battlefield Brown for shading and highlights with very minimal Menoth White Base

Hope this helps
    happy painting!

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim of bells View Post
    I have been considering adding a detailed effect to my Warjacks. How do you think I could go about creating the silvery ornate look from this armor?

Thank you!

Pilgrim,
    I think if I were to approach this, I would paint the armour normally and go back and add the ornate design with some Quicksilver. Just treat it as freehand. The armour looks cool. Would be interesting to see on some 'Jacks

Steveo,
    Meg is no longer a studio painter here at PP, but I will be more than happy to give you some ideas on painting orange if you like.
    Heartfire seems like a good place to start for a base colour. Use some Khador Red Highlight for shade. If you need a darker shadow, add some Khador Red Base to Khador Red Highlight. For Highlights, add some Cygnus Yellow or Sulfuric Yellow to your base colour. Cygnus will give you a more vivid highlight than Sulfuric. Finally, add some Menoth White Highlight to the first highlight colour for your final highlights.

Hope this helps,

dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmasterstevo View Post
    Meg Maples,

A few years back you painted an INCREDIBLE Orange Crush Sturm and Drang. I don't expect you remember everhthing you used, but if you were to recreate that paint job using P3 paints, how would you recommend doing it? Also, aside from purple, what other colors do you think would go good with the orange?

Thanks!

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021