Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the Studio!

what techniques did you use on the extreme destroyer to make it look weathered and still have that white wintery look to it

I love the studio colors on the Rangers unit but have yet to replicate it. Can you help?
    Last edited by Agamemnon; 02-03-2010 at 05:07 AM.
    Most people say that what some people say is pretty stupid.

Destroyer of Worlds Justin Kase's Avatar

I have a question for the sculptors in the studio - how do they go about creating the texture on the jack spear/pole-arm hafts? (someone said it is called knurling)

Many thanks

Destroyer of Worlds lord tyrant watt's Avatar

Hey Matt,

In the new MK2 prime book, in the protecterate model gallery section, the choir of menoth has a different color used on their robes, it doesnt seem to be the typical sanguine color, is it a different paint scheme or are the pictures producing a different effect?

If it is different, what were the colors used?

thanks

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Kase View Post
    I have a question for the sculptors in the studio - how do they go about creating the texture on the jack spear/pole-arm hafts? (someone said it is called knurling)

Many thanks
    I second this question,

Many thanks on top of Justin Kase's many thanks

"That is up to you I guess, but if you want to be afraid of a dagger when someone is throwing a running chainsaw at you, be my guest." -Darknesse

Destroyer of Worlds Skyydragonn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skyydragonn View Post
    Will privateer ever offer thier own brand of the various mixing mediums such as pearlizing medium, glazing medium and metalic medium?

I've seen these products in craft paint lines and I'm hoping that forumala P3 will soon provide us with thier own version of these mediums.
    Originally posted this a lil over 2 weeks ago, is this thread still read by PP or has it been abandoned since the PP staffer responsible for the thread is no longer in the paintng dept?
    The eye of Menoth is apon you heathen. The avatar of his righteous fury shines on the field of battle, awash in the blood of the unworthy. Tremble and feel shamed for you are unworthy of his notice.

Destroyer of Worlds

Default "New" Cygnar stuff

Deleting - just realized this is answered in the new Cygnar book.
    Last edited by Shroud; 02-22-2010 at 02:05 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds Writer@Large's Avatar

Here's one I'd love to see the answer to:

I like, and very much want to emulate, the Cryx warjack plate color you see in the new Ripjaw and Plastic heavies in the gallery, like this one:

I thought that the quick Cryx painting guide in PRIME MKII might share the secret to getting those tones, but when I follow it, the Cryx Bane Base is far too green. How did the studio achive that Cryx color palate?

--W@L

Mostly Trollbloods, sometimes Cryx or Mercs, occasionally Circle or Khador

Matt,

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions. Good stuff.

I'm going to be starting on my Breast Cancer Awareness army for this year's Breast Cancer Brawl, and I decided to go with EButcher and Khador (so Cancer can Feel My Hate).

I've decided to do black armor with pink trim, and i've been looking for aa good technique to do the black armor without it just looking like a dark blob of armor. What's a good highlighting technique for black?

Thanks!

Come check out SKIDMARKS, my game of post apocalyptic vehicular mayhem, coming eventually?

What is the best way to do battle damage and weathering on 'jacks and armor? I love the beat up look, but all I seem to do is ruin my paint job when I try to figure it out...
    "Any sufficiently analyzed Magic is indistinguishable from Science!" ? Agatha Heterodyne

Hey i was just wondering how you guys did the Skin color for the new Cryx Bloodgorgers. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseRAT View Post
    Hi all looks like im the first one to post on the new ask the studio!!!!!

So to my question...Ive been working on my searforge army scheme for a bit now but i really like the Avalanchers scheme...how do you go about painting it? bc it looks great

Also i wanted to say thanks to matt personally for doing a great job on the new ask the studio MKII. let give a BIG thumbs up!
    I would like to second this question- any insight you could give into this scheme would be much appreciated.

I have a suspicion that it hasn't been answered due to the upcoming NQ #29, but even a list of paints would be nice before then so I can at least get my order in.

Edit: And while I'm in the business of asking questions- Any info on the Basher? It seems a bit more yellow, and I was wondering if that was just the lighting or a different method of painting altogether.
    Last edited by ArchonXVI; 03-13-2010 at 04:03 PM.
    "The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen, but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees." -Erwin Schrödinger

What colors were used on the Mangler's chassis?

What greys were used on the Trencher Commandos coat?

Get serious, paint your stuff
    My Minis

Hi matt.
    this might seem like a silly question but how do you get those muscle tones on stuff like argii and the feral warpwolf when there isnt actually any difference in thickness, when i do it, it looks way to obvioss (the difference in color layering)

Destroyer of Worlds Thunder_God's Avatar

I really want to know what "Salt weathering" technique mentioned in that very same post is. Can the salt be non-kosher?
    "I am light. I am dark. I must give my life to serve; not even death can release me."
    - Selenia, Dark Angel.

Playing: Skorne, Legion.
    Exact statistics with the Troll Calculator in this thread.

Warrior

Hi guys,

Love this thread as always.

1) What colours are used on the leather browns painted on the shoulder pads of the Trollblood Chronicler also the gloves of the Trollblood Runeshaper?

2) What colours are used in the cloth of the Trollblood Runeshaper?

Conqueror

Hey, i wanted to paint all the legion beast's carapace's bone looking and was just wondering what paints and techniques you would use to get a nice bone effect? I've seen alot of guides that use GW paints but none using P3.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder_God View Post
    I really want to know what "Salt weathering" technique mentioned in that very same post is. Can the salt be non-kosher?

No Quarter issue 29 has an article describing the Salt weathering technique. It's pages 48-49 and details how to use salt and airbrush masking to weather a model.
    I am a leaf on the wind,
    See how I soar.

Ive got two questions...

1. With all the new models and paint jobs on new releases, How do you blend the colors into one another to make that smudged look? like these:

like on the arms and the armor

the metals and the reds

and the shield.
    Its subtle blending but it looks good.

2.How did you paint Drake MacBain, what ratios and formulas, mixes and all that stuff, step by step if you can?

Thanks

-ApocalypseRAT

"I will destroy everything in my path to get what I want" - The Priest

Thanks for doing this guide, Matt. It's much appreciated.

I'm going to start work on the Nightmare character jack for Cryx and, long story short, want to basically do half of him as a ghost.

For the blackbanes, tartarus, etc. What techniques did you guys use to pull off the ghost effects?

Thanks!

I asked this of the general forumgoing public in this thread, but I'm also curious how the pros do it: what techniques do you use to make miniature painting more comfortable and more ergonomic?
    Check out my blog, Light Miniatures, for tutorials like OSL and battle damage.

You can find my painted Privateer Press minis in the Painting Thread Locator; for other manufacturers see my blog or Cool Mini.
    Don't be afraid to paint outside the lines!

Hey everyone (first post!)

This thread may be my saviour! I'm a new Retribution player and I'd like to know how you get that funky looking green glowing colour of the runes on the retribution models. I've not attempted it yet, but I don't wanna mess up the brilliant smooth white paint job.

Destroyer of Worlds

Default Caution stripes.

I was just wondering how you guys would do caution stripes on a warjack if you were at my painting table. It might help to know that I don't prime my models and this is for two reasons 1. I like the texture of the metal and 2. I like to use a very thin testors black over the metal to create a natural iron look instead of metallic paints. I am planning on using testors flat yellow and reaper pure black. I could buy a new paint or two but I have little money. So consider this a painter on a shoestring scenario. Thanks, and I apologize if this is too restrictive.

Destroyer of Worlds bronzeback40's Avatar

In NQ #18, a quick tutorial was done on a Nephilim using mostly washes. What size brushes did you use when washing the Nephilim?

Love the thread - and I have to say you guys are amazing painters, sculptors and customer service bods!

Question - How do you manage such smooth transitions on the Khador War Dog? I can (just about) manage it on the jowls by using a mixture of a blended a darker tone followed by a wash (to smooth my not-so-great blending) - but the subtleness of the colour changes on the fur (hind) of the dog is absolutely stunning.

Thanks, M

Destroyer of Worlds

Default Harlan Phineas Versh question

Hi Matt!

My question concerns Harlan Phineas Versh. I know he's been around since pre-P3 days and that you didn't paint the studio model, so I don't need an exact answer on this. My question is as follows:

What color is Harlan's mantle? I'm referring to the mantle laying beneath the black-with-metal-studs bit of armor on his shoulders. (It could also be described as the big bit of cloth-like sculpt taking up the upper portion of his back.)

Any help that you (or anyone else!) could offer would be much appreciated!

Combatant

I am looking for the paint/water/ink ratio for the brown wash in NQ 30s Cryx speedpaint tutorial. I have not found it and my approximation leaves much to be desired.

Conqueror

Hey,

Just wanted to ask about the "easy white marble" technique mentioned in Ron's Insider post yesterday on his Immortal. How was it done?

In case you didn't find it yet:

Base coat of Trollblood Highlight + White. Then I painted the cracks with TBHL + Black, Washed the entire area with mix of Armor wash, Mixing Medium, and more water than normal, so it was a thin and diluted wash. After it dried, I went back and just did a layered highlight of a lighter version of the base coat on the edges and UNDER the cracks. That is it, Super easy and fast. Matt D. suggested that before I paint the dark cracks do a dry brush of a medium gray around the crack areas and around to create the multi- tones found in marble. I omitted that step. If was doing this same thing on a large surfaced area, then yes I would do that step. There you go Rocksalt, good painting and post some pics of your figs, I would like to see what your Skorne look like Next on my list is Zaal !

Hi Matt,
    First, thanks already for the many excellent blending and shading posts. I'm crap at them so far but I can already see what I can acomplish with a method like two-brush for example when I stop butchering my models. And speaking of butchering, white armor, particularly on Exemplar Bations which are made up almost entirely of flat, borderless plates, are giving me the fits. What is the preffered method you would use to shade and highlight something like that when you're looking for a clean and brilliant white that doesn't look flat on the model?

Hi Matt,

Just a quick question how was the studio scheme on the Cryx pistol wraith done? I was particularly interested in how the coat was done.

Hey Matto...

what colors did you mix for the stone keeper's blue/black cloak?

tx

j

"O Lord, bless this..thy hand grenade..that, with it, thou mayest blow thine enemies, to tiny bits, in.......thy mercy.".

Cool Dipping

Thinking of a large Bane Army. 30 - 60. Search on "dipping" models gave me lots of options and opinions. Whats the studios experience (if any) with this process? Army painter vs. Minwax. Oil vs. water base. Will "Mop n Glow" mixed with x color achieve the same effect? Ect.
    "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." ( MJ)

Exit THE PHARAOH

Combatant

Hi, the studio painted Menoth minis white seems very white compared to the Menoth basecoat colour which is more of a beige. How is this achieved or is just just a case of using a lot of the Menoth highlight to achieve the whiter look?

I've got a bit of an esoteric one for you Matt.
    I'm about to start on Nightmare, and I wanted to do its furnace with a glowing blood hue as opposed to the normal Cryxian sickly green. Can you give me any suggestions on what I should do to achieve that effect?
    The cycle we go through with every release:
    1st stage - reveal - Wow! Look at the new toys.
    2nd stage - spoilers - Booo! They're not as awesome as I imagined!
    3rd stage - actual play - Okay, this thing's (usually) not awful.

Hi Matt,

Could you tell me how the Studio has painted the Cryx Ghost Raiders? I'd like to do my Risen that way.

Thanks in advance!

Combatant

Hi Matt,
    Was hoping you had some information filed away about the Cryx figures featured in Superiority, pages 160-161. Starting a Cryx force and I fell in love with those models; would love to know how they were painted.
    Cheers!

Hi,

Every time I look at the artwork of Ashlyn crying I am tempted to try to apply running eyeliner on a model.

What techniques and paints would you use to produce a similar effect?

Hello. I want to paint my retribution army mostly the exact color scheme shown in the forces of warmachine book.

However they don't sell a Retribution paint kit as they do with the other armies, can you tell me what colors I should buy to be able to duplicate the Studio color scheme?

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast