Default Hybrid Resin/Metal Bronzeback

So, Hybrid Resin/Metal Bronzeback, eh?

Iiiinteresting.

I like the way it looks, personally. If they give the Gladiator this treatment, we might not even have to use a whole package of Green Stuff to fill the gaps =).

-H
    I'm a free-born man of the USA
    The Pogues - Body of an American

If you're intrigued by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the Web comic for you!

If they'd made it a different pose, I'd have bought one ASAP. Now I feel more like I need to make sure I get a metal one before they're all gone.
    Currently playing: Farrow & Skorne

Destroyer of Worlds lord tyrant watt's Avatar

Im excited that they are moving to the resin for the beasts. Im looking forward to the titan kits. My only concern is the weight distribution of the arms, head, and tusks in the front, and the resin in the back. I hope they balance out well.

I worry about how top heavy this model will be with the metal head, horns and arms that high and forward on such a light body.
    Fortunately I already own 2 bronzebacks so it won't be an issue for me.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    If they'd made it a different pose, I'd have bought one ASAP. Now I feel more like I need to make sure I get a metal one before they're all gone.
    Maintaining the sculpt we (mostly) all loved is a lot better than what seems to be happening to the Dire Trolls (with reservations for rough WIP etc.).

I think the BB is one of the best sculpts in the range, I'm glad they kept the classic pose.

"He had some steampunk take on Baba ****ing Yaga, creeping around the treeline with some ten foot tall chickenoid contraption from which clouds of starving ravens were constantly erupting. Its very exhaust was dark birds, with clever eyes and cracked beaks. I don't know; on paper, that looks basically like a win." -Tycho, Penny Arcade

I'm an all metal proponent. though im ok with this. It is a heavy model, but the hybrid doesn't lose too much heft and if it saves me some sculpting and finishing(and hopefully money) it will be a net benefit. Still, give me some more posability in my titans, so i can balance them, so I can point the tusks out of melee range or there is no real advantage to changing the sculpt.
    If your are reading this post, the moderators have not yet deleted my post.
    Skorne born on date: march 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    That was my first thought...
    Cryx, GATORS, and Skorne !

Though it does make me wonder... why the bronzeback? It seems to me that there is little mileage to be gained from giving him a resin body, unless there are plans for other models using it in the future. Are these portents of a new bronzeback variation in the pipeline? A character perhaps?

Not sure how I feel about that, actually...

Current Projects:
    Tiberion Repose

Quote Originally Posted by Mnkylord View Post
    Though it does make me wonder... why the bronzeback? It seems to me that there is little mileage to be gained from giving him a resin body, unless there are plans for other models using it in the future. Are these portents of a new bronzeback variation in the pipeline? A character perhaps?

Not sure how I feel about that, actually...
    Or, perhaps future future Titans will be based on what we currently think of as the Bronzeback chassis? There are art vs model and old vs new problems with this idea, but it would probably save PP a fair bit of time and money to use existing molds this way, and would may the titans less squat and more imposing.

With the price of tin going up, You can tell they took the areas of the model that have the most Pewter and made them Resin.

I would have liked to have seen them go either 100% resin, or 100% Pewter. It seems to me that without pinning those arms, the adhesive bond of super glue is going to be weaker between resin <-> pewter than between either pewter <-> pewter or resin <-> resin.

Those big metal arms on the resin torso kinda scare me.

Destroyer of Worlds

I'd think the biggest mass that is not the most detail-important.
    Signatures take too much space.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynth View Post
    I worry about how top heavy this model will be with the metal head, horns and arms that high and forward on such a light body.
    Fortunately I already own 2 bronzebacks so it won't be an issue for me.
    This is really my only concern too...the Bronzeback's already a fairly infamous model for not wanting to get into melee with things...now we're gonna have its main bulk made of resin with the head still sticking out made of metal. I spose we'll just have to buy the pewter again in metal bases XD.

Terribly sorry about the necro, but I thought it would be better than starting a new thread about the same thing.
    Has this kit been released yet? If so, what are peoples' opinion on it?

Just bought mine today, wasn't really that bad to put together. I used my grey stuff and zap-a-gap ... everything held very nicely and it really isn't as top heavy as you would think. Can't wait to paint this beast of a beast.
    Last edited by Skorznex; 11-11-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    Sometimes I feel that Cryx players complain more about being complained about than people complain about Cryx being broken.

-PG_Watchtower-

I ran out and bought the metal model before this new thing arrives.
    If it weren't a hybrid then it would be fine but like has been said he
    maybe a little top heavy.
    It my favourite model in the entire range pp make.
    The gaps never phased me I used a few bits of plastic card to fill waist line
    the sculpt over the top and all is good.

If I could get a 2nd I would but they have become very rare now due to
    the hybrids coming out.

Its not as top heavy as it seems to look.
    Sometimes I feel that Cryx players complain more about being complained about than people complain about Cryx being broken.

-PG_Watchtower-

I just assembled the resin/ metal bronzeback. I though I was getting an all metal one but alas sellers do not make this distinction online and they both cost the same. It is not as stable as my gladiator but you would have to knock it pretty good to have it tip forward. Making sure that the left arm is swinging back helps to counter balance it. On a glass table I have to push on the head so the base goes over a 25 degree angle before the weight shifts forward and it wants to fall forward so I do not see that as much of a problem. The detail looks great on the resin and there are no noticeable gaps. The fringe on his spine meets up perfectly, it looks like I will not need green stuff.

Thank you very much for that review.
    Sounds great!

I have an odd feeling the Tiberion upgrade kit will be for the resin Bronzeback rather than a plastic beast box. Just how the artwork of Tiberion matches pretty much the lower half of a Bronze.
    Xerxis does not go "Epic". Epic goes "Xerxis".

Destroyer of Worlds

So, is the hybrid model the same size as the metal?

@Kurgash- I figure Tiberion's upgrade kit will be a straight swap for the Sentry parts of the plastic kit.
    Brutality gets things done, and efficiency is the highest virtue.

Makes you wonder how the kit is going to be. Armored back for the Cannoneer?
    When life gives you lemons, keep them. Because, hey, free lemons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgash View Post
    I have an odd feeling the Tiberion upgrade kit will be for the resin Bronzeback rather than a plastic beast box. Just how the artwork of Tiberion matches pretty much the lower half of a Bronze.
    While I'd love that I think Tiberion looks too close to the armored back titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Adept Rahn View Post
    I ran out and bought the metal model before this new thing arrives.
    If it weren't a hybrid then it would be fine but like has been said he
    maybe a little top heavy.
    Just out of interest, why is the distinction between all metal and hybrid kits so important to you? It's the same sculpt. Do you just prefer working with metal or is there another reason?

I ordered one BB online, it hasn't come yet and I hope its the metal one. I do not like the resin PP uses. I bought the 2p battle box and I spent an ungodly amount of time cleaning flash/mould lines from the cinerators, trying not to scrape/file off that lovely detail. I prefer metal as its solid and justifies the cost doolar wise.

Eater of Brains Warcaster Feiss's Avatar

I was originally of the mind that I'd want to pick up the full metal Bronzeback before the hybrid came out. Purely from a personal preference, I like the reassuringly heavy minis.

With that said, I've changed my mind, in a way. I think I'd rather pick up the hybrid, albeit replacing the base with a metal base. I'm guessing that with a metal base, the total weight will probably still be comparable to the original full metal, whilst having a lower centre of gravity with the weighted metal base... fingers crossed in any case!

Thats the thing though- buying a metal base to compensate for the lack of metal in the model to get it to balance right. Really whats the point as it ends up costing more anyway eating up what you save in the origional price point. Also if one part is resin, why not make the whole thing resin? Its because of the detail issue with the resin, flash/ mould lines in bad spots like on the cinerators in the 2p BB.

** Also another thing, is it confirmed that we will even get the price cut due to cheaper production costs? I have a feeling its probably the same cost for us. A textbook case is GW's finecast costing more/ the same as their metal figures did.
    Last edited by Uhlan_Kommander; 12-17-2011 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uhlan_Kommander View Post
    Thats the thing though- buying a metal base to compensate for the lack of metal in the model to get it to balance right. Really whats the point as it ends up costing more anyway eating up what you save in the origional price point. Also if one part is resin, why not make the whole thing resin? Its because of the detail issue with the resin, flash/ mould lines in bad spots like on the cinerators in the 2p BB.
    From what I've heard from those who've purchased the hybrid bronzeback, there's no real need to purchase a metal base. Fears about "balance" or "tipping" issues seem to be founded mostly in the usual interweb I-know-things-without-having-seen-things prognostication.

Quote Originally Posted by Uhlan_Kommander View Post
    ** Also another thing, is it confirmed that we will even get the price cut due to cheaper production costs? I have a feeling its probably the same cost for us. A textbook case is GW's finecast costing more/ the same as their metal figures did.
    There certainly seems to be a lot of misunderstanding floating about with respect to the switch to plastic/hybrid kits. As far as I understand it, the intent is to stabilize the cost of production, not necessarily make the model cheaper. Well, in a way it does, I suppose, in that using the plastics/resins insulates PP from the fluctuating price of precious metals (like tin), so they won't have to raise prices as the cost of metals do.
    Last edited by Mnkylord; 12-17-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Current Projects:
    Tiberion Repose