Conqueror

Default Gunnbjorn + Bomber = OMG

So I just picked up Trolls because I wanted a Hordes army to go with my Cryx. I want to play Gunnbjorn + Bomber(s) but I want to plan my purchases for 15pts and 35pts. Help? Thanks!

I have a Gunnbjorn Army and he is pretty solid dude. The only thing that I would do differently is add a kreil stone bearer unit in there to buff their def since Troll DEF SUCKS lol. The sluggers are pretty alright but I think adding some buff to the army would help more than they would. And Janissa rocks coupled with Gunnbjorn since they both can set rock walls and two is always better than one. But if you upkeep snipe on all pygs and the thumper you can annoy the crap out of your opponent. So I say check into that because I love my Gunnbjorn army.
    Gunnbjorn
    Bouncer
    Blitzer
    Bomber
    Thumper crew
    Scattergunners
    pyg bushwhackers
    sluggers

OK, so I'm not advocating GunnBjorn for 15 as a good caster... I think he's not so hot at 15 points. In general, GunnBjorn is our weakest caster. But, here's some lists to try out... if you insist playing him and trying a bomber.

15 pts.
    Captain Gunnbjorn (*5pts)
    * Pyre Troll (5pts)
    * Troll Impaler (5pts)
    * Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts)

Do not play a bomber at this point level. It's extremely weak. At this point level, people will spam high ARM or infantry, the Bomber does not excel at killing high ARM... which leaves you with an extremely poor matchup in a lot of cases. I would rather deal with infantry via the Pyre, Impaler and GunnBjorn + Gunny's Wall than try to deal with 'Jackspam using a Bomber.

35 pts
    Captain Gunnbjorn (*5pts)
    * Pyre Troll (5pts) <----- necessary to crack high ARM
    * Troll Impaler (5pts) <---- necessary to give your fire AOE, Gunny's AOE, and the Bomber Snipe
    * Dire Troll Bomber (10pts) <----- I would rather have Fenns+UA here in order to deal with enemy infantry. It's hard to count on AOE damage actually killing enemy infantry. Solid Ground, Multiwound Troops, high ARM warrior models and such make relying on the blast damage to kill enemy infantry not reliable enough to count on, imo. Fennblades killing models is more reliable.Even if they can't kill all of them, they're engaged and typically can't disengage and cause issues for you... unless the enemy uses Curse of Shadows or some other rather scare abilities.
    * Earthborn Dire Troll (10pts) <---- necessary to crack high ARM.
    * Trollkin Runebearer (2pts) <---- Gunnbjorn is one FURY hungry caster. Can be subbed out if Nyss Hunters are chosen.
    Pyg Bushwackers (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts) <------ Nyss Hunters also work here, and would be transferrable to other lists in the event that you want to play some other Troll casters.
    Longjaw Stonehide (0xp) - Newly Incarcerated! - (Izaak Markov's Dragonslayers)
    Decklin Belgre (18xp) - Hijinks on the High Seas
    Jonas Blackburn (15xp) - Iron West Company
    Longjaw Stonehide (5xp) - Guards of the Blackwoods (Thread Inactive)
    Thomas Redcliff (4xp) - Coin is King (Thread Inactive)

Destroyer of Worlds

I played almost that exact list today vs. Khador.

Gunnbjorn
    -Mulg
    -Bomber
    -Impaler
    10 Bushwackers
    6 Fennblades

Each area have their own local meta, and in my case I need to rid the table of lots of khador filth. To this end I brought the Bomber because it is better (and safer) than FB, and it did a fine job. The FBs where there to fight anything that would break my flanks or line or perhaps just be sacrificed on the alter of battle. As it happened they were a 5 point reserve that never got to see action.

I did not miss the Runebearer, and felt in pretty good shape with Mulg in place of an EBDT. I would have liked to spend some points on an alternative to Mulg and Fennblades. The thing for me is I couldn't see much improvements to my choices, given the different army lists designs I could have gotten to meet.
    It's time to kick a** and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum.

-Captain Gunnbjorn

35pt
    Gunnbjorn
    Bomber
    Impaler
    Slag Troll
    Runebearer
    10 Bushwhackers
    Sluggers
    Whelps
    Janissa Stonetide
    (I think that's the list, can't remember sluggers cost off top of my head)

It's a lot of range and no "real" melee, but it blows the crap out of most threats before they get to you, and if they run to engage, Janissa pushes them back for cleanup. And a couple of whelps mean you can go hot with Far Strike, Guided Fire, fully boosted ROF 2 with Bomber and Slag, and keep it under control. It's got major weaknesses for stealth and high-speed melee armies, but it's fun to just blow the living bejeezus out of people that never expect a real shooting Troll army. It's like the Spanish Inquisition!
    Last edited by Ravir; 10-22-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds

I had a second go today -

Gunnbjorn
    -Mulg
    -Bomber
    -Impaler
    -Impaler (yes instead of Fennblades)
    10 Bushwackers

It went even better than the first game, well except for us not finishing the game. I made a lot of critical slams and devastations, and managed to get Mulg's protective fit going through a transferred damage roll, and heal him up with snacking. That was mostly because my opponent had forgotten all about good ol' Mulg.
    It's time to kick a** and chew bubblegum. And I'm all out of gum.

-Captain Gunnbjorn