Destroyer of Worlds DemonCalibre's Avatar

Default Ghost Sight and Shooting Behind you.

Quick Question, which I am pretty sure was answered.

If you have Ghost Shot can you shoot in your back arc? What about Ghost Sight on Zaal?

I am pretty sure the answer is no, but when I looked at the relevant material in Prime, I didn't see anything to indicate that it was incorrect.

I must be missing it, can you help me find it?
    No Pity for the Majority

Ghost Shot:
    This model ignores LOS when making attacks with this weapon. When resolving attacks with this weapon, ignore Concealment and Cover.
    Pg 56, Prime, Ranged Weapons, Declaring A Target:
    Unless a model's special rules say otherwise, it can make ranged attacks only against models in its front arc.
    This is the same for Magic attacks and Melee attacks can only target models in your melee range, which is inherently your front arc.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ the Ronin View Post
    Kallas, you are very odd person. I mean that in the best possible way.
    Myrmidon Mayhem (Latest report: 12/03/2013)

Destroyer of Worlds DemonCalibre's Avatar

Ah that is what I was looking for I seemed to have a case of the last sentence syndrome.

What about Zaal's Ghost Sight though for spells?

After looking over the Casting Spells section it lacks that clause that Ranged Weapons, Declaring a Target: has.
    No Pity for the Majority

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by DemonCalibre View Post
    What about Zaal's Ghost Sight though for spells?

After looking over the Casting Spells section it lacks that clause that Ranged Weapons, Declaring a Target: has.
    Since I can't find anything about (offensive) spellcasting being limited to front arc, I'd say the 360° is fine with Ghost Sight.

Something feels off, here. Checking.
    Infernal from 30 September 2011 to 2 April 2014

Spells require a target, which requires LOS to the target; LOS requires front arc except in models with 360-degree front arcs. Ergo, offensive spells are limited to the front arc unless the model casting the spell has a 360-degree front arc.

Edit: or, I guess, ignores LOS?
    Last edited by sleet01; 10-11-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Semper Paratus Apparatus Belli

Quote Originally Posted by sleet01 View Post
    Spells require a target, which requires LOS to the target; LOS requires front arc except in models with 360-degree front arcs. Ergo, offensive spells are limited to the front arc unless the model casting the spell has a 360-degree front arc.
    Actually, just read the actual text of the ability, and it should clear up some issues:

Ghost Sight
    This model does not require LOS in order to target friendly models with spells. This model ignores LOS when making ranged and magic attacks. This model ignores concealment and cover when resolving ranged attacks.
    The issue is that ranged attacks appear to have an additional restriction that is not present for offensive spells. Currently, as written, spells do not have to be cast only in the front arc, but require LOS. Ranged attacks, in comparison, require LOS and also have the additional restriction of front arc only.

Like I said, something here feels off, so I'm checking.

Destroyer of Worlds Mastershake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valander View Post
    Actually, just read the actual text of the ability, and it should clear up some issues:

The issue is that ranged attacks appear to have an additional restriction that is not present for offensive spells. Currently, as written, spells do not have to be cast only in the front arc, but require LOS. Ranged attacks, in comparison, require LOS and also have the additional restriction of front arc only.

Like I said, something here feels off, so I'm checking.
    Don't magic attacks follow ranged attack rules with only the specific exceptions mentioned i.e. can't aim, can cast while engaged, etc.? Could swear I read that line somewhere which would restrict spells to front arc only.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastershake View Post
    Don't magic attacks follow ranged attack rules with only the specific exceptions mentioned i.e. can't aim, can cast while engaged, etc.? Could swear I read that line somewhere which would restrict spells to front arc only.
    The line you are thinking of is likely:

Quote Originally Posted by Prime, p.77
    Magic attacks are similar to ranged attacks and follow most of the same rules but are not affected by a rule that affects only ranged attacks.
    So it doesn't say what you implied, and additionally, the rule in question specifically calls out ranged attacks, which the above quote tells us means it doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Valander View Post
    Something feels off, here. Checking.
    Answer is that it was fishy, indeed.

Spell casting should have the same limitation as making ranged attacks. That is, you can only make them in your front arc.

If you ignore LOS for ranged/spells, it does not give you the ability to target something outside of your front arc, but only the ability to ignore LOS-blocking things. In order to shoot/cast "behind you," you would need a 360-degree front arc.

Correction to the above.

Further review determined to not include errata to apply this restriction to magic attacks, so play as written. Which means "only through front arc" does not apply to magic attacks and spell casting.