Default Help For a Trollblood Newb

Howdy, I also posted in the legion forum (my first and true love) but that's not to say that I don't enjoy a little troll fun now and again. I started buying trolls for the same reason I got legion, I like the models (though for a different aesthetic). Eventually I will get around to painting them, but for now they are all assembled and ready to play in some friendly learning type games.

I am going to be getting back into it with some buddies who will be playing Khador and Protectorate and am looking for advice with some 25 and 35 point troll lists. I am limited to just the models I have at the moment. I am less interested in optimized beat down and more in fun to play and competitive.

Gunnbjorn
    Regular Madrak
    Blitzer
    Bomber
    MAuler
    Troll Axer
    Troll Impaler x2
    Swamp Troll
    Sluggers x5
    Whelps x5
    Thumper Crew
    Fennblades x10
    Krielstone Bearer & Scribes x5
    and a Kilt Lifter that my friends don't mind me using as a Fell Caller Hero

Totem Hunter
    Gobber Bellows Crew

Destroyer of Worlds Arizona_Troll's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mccluggen View Post
    Howdy, I also posted in the legion forum (my first and true love) but that's not to say that I don't enjoy a little troll fun now and again. I started buying trolls for the same reason I got legion, I like the models (though for a different aesthetic). Eventually I will get around to painting them, but for now they are all assembled and ready to play in some friendly learning type games.

I am going to be getting back into it with some buddies who will be playing Khador and Protectorate and am looking for advice with some 25 and 35 point troll lists. I am limited to just the models I have at the moment. I am less interested in optimized beat down and more in fun to play and competitive.

Gunnbjorn
    Regular Madrak
    Blitzer
    Bomber
    MAuler
    Troll Axer
    Troll Impaler x2
    Swamp Troll
    Sluggers x5
    Whelps x5
    Thumper Crew
    Fennblades x10
    Krielstone Bearer & Scribes x5
    and a Kilt Lifter that my friends don't mind me using as a Fell Caller Hero

Totem Hunter
    Gobber Bellows Crew

You've got two very different casters there! To start getting a feel for how more melee-focused troll lists work, I would suggest starting with the following for 25 points:

Madrak (+6)
    Mauler 9
    Axer 6
    Impaler 5
    Full Fenns 8
    Fell Caller 3

This gives you a really good start on practicing the most common synergies we have: Axer to help a beatstick dire troll move faster, Rage from the Mauler to buff himself or Madrak (either in melee or throwing his axe), the impaler to give Madrak a 12" range on his axe, and a fell caller to buff our troops and beat face himself. Once you've had some fun with this, it'll be up to you how you scale up - I would probably go with the Krielstone and...something else. There's not a lot that complements this list from what you have, but I guess a totem hunter and thumper could work? The Thumper isn't that popular, but I think it's fun to use. With auto-knockdown on enemy beasts, it can really ruin your opponent's day, and you're already taking an impaler, so you can improve its range if necessary.

I honestly don't play Gunnbjorn (he's the only caster I don't own - I love the model but the rules just don't excite me). But if I was putting a list together from what you have, I'd go with:

Gunnbjorn (+5)
    Blitzer 9
    Impaler 5
    Full Fenns 8
    Full Sluggers 8

Then add a Bomber (10) to go to 35. Alternatively you can go with a min unit of sluggers and add a thumper or fell caller.

I would recommend that you get the UA for the Fennblades soon as it really improves the unit. Also the UA for the Krielstone. Two blisters that'll pay big dividends. The Krielstone UA ESPECIALLY if you are going to play against a lot of Protectorate of Menoth because he will protect your army from the fire they love to sling around.

Hope this helps!

See my photo blog here or my PP forum thread here. Last update 8/16/14 (Borka2, Dozer & Smigg, and Horgle).

Hey Arizona nice work. How would you pump the madras list up to 35 pts?
    Playing: Khador, Legion, Cryx, Trollbloods, Menoth

Destroyer of Worlds Arizona_Troll's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona_Troll View Post
    Once you've had some fun with this, it'll be up to you how you scale up - I would probably go with the Krielstone and...something else. There's not a lot that complements this list from what you have, but I guess a totem hunter and thumper could work? The Thumper isn't that popular, but I think it's fun to use. With auto-knockdown on enemy beasts, it can really ruin your opponent's day, and you're already taking an impaler, so you can improve its range if necessary.
    Here was my original answer - it was kind of buried in the text. An alternative to this would be to include a Bomber, but Madrak doesn't have a lot of fury, so it's debatable whether he can support that many warbeasts without whelps, but then again he can have trouble keeping the stone juiced up on fury as well. As I said, I'm not sure he has great options for expanding the list.

Ideally he might want to add a full unit of champs, or a min unit and Skaldi (with a bonus point for whatever). The champions benefit from Madrak's spells (bonus defense and a boost to their good MAT to make sure they hit). And it's also common to swap out the Mauler for Mulg, since his higher MAT and reach works better than the Mauler under Madrak's feat. Between the Axer and Mulg, you could potentially walk through two entire units of infantry under Madrak's feat and Carnage up.

So I guess so sum up my rambling, Personally I would add a min unit of champs, swap out the Mauler for Mulg, and have a point left over for whatever 1 point model you like best. That's not to say this is an ideal build starting from scratch, but building from what he has it should work well.
    Last edited by Arizona_Troll; 11-14-2011 at 09:32 AM.

See my photo blog here or my PP forum thread here. Last update 8/16/14 (Borka2, Dozer & Smigg, and Horgle).