Eater of Brains Warcaster Feiss's Avatar

Default PGBH - To poke one's Beasts, or condition them?

I've read a bunch of the threads linked in the Tyrant guide, and think I have some ideas what I want to play with our much maligned Lord Assassin.

However, one point on which I'm slightly stuck is how to manage Fury. I'm planning on taking a fair few 'beasts, a Bronzeback will keep the Titans in place, however, how do you guys subsequently manage any Fury left on the Titans?

I was originally thinking Condition to just drain it off, but then realised they couldn't be Enraged. So now I'm debating having PGBH attack the Titan(s) a bunch, sure they'll take a few points of damage, but surely the free charge and +2 STR would be worth the trade off?

I think...

What would you guys & girls recommend in this instance??

Destroyer of Worlds

Definitely enrage and drain fury with whips where possible. However depending on how many Paingivers you have alive at the time it may not be an option.

Considering if you've managed to run multiple titans red hot in a turn chances are you've caused utter carnage that turn. A subsequent turn with an unenraged Titan or two should be ok.

you could enrage the titans and keep them within 6'' on the bronzeback so you don't have to worry about frenzy, drain the bronzeback and whip the other titans with condition next turn so they can still force that round.

I would worry about it if it actually happens. Usually you do not have enough PGBH in the right places to strip fury off a beast so you are more likely to condition it to clear 4 than hope to get 1-2 hits.
    If something has survived a pair of Titans, & you remember not to reave any counter attacks, it will probably not need Enrage as it will just be infantry to mop up!

For me it depends on the caster. Morg or Xerxis have a 10" bubble so the beasts tend to stay close. This makes it much easier to use handlers to strip the fury of fully loaded beasts. For those casters that have longer control ranges the beasts have a tendency to get beyond the reach of the handlers so enraging them is better.

On the whole i feel it's a better tactic to strip fury then enrage. This allows you to run all your beasts up to max fury and then simply strip away any excess you can't leech. And with the bronzebacks ability to control other titans you have a lot of options on when and how to manage fury.

But I don't write off enrage either. Sometimes you really want something dead, or the extra fury from the free charge will make the difference in killing a heavy or not, so go for it. I sometimes pull this off with pMorg where I enrage all 4 of my titans and abuse two of them for long threat ranges and massive strength. Usually against something like legion where you really want those beasts dead.

Destroyer of Worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Warcaster Feiss View Post
    I've read a bunch of the threads linked in the Tyrant guide, and think I have some ideas what I want to play with our much maligned Lord Assassin.
    I think this will change with that flying reptile beast coming out soon. Sure, he won't be top tier, but he will be much more playable.

Eater of Brains Warcaster Feiss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Coil View Post
    For me it depends on the caster. Morg or Xerxis have a 10" bubble so the beasts tend to stay close. This makes it much easier to use handlers to strip the fury of fully loaded beasts.
    That's precisely what I was thinking, eMorg's 10" control area will be something of a novelty coming from Circle with a wide range of 'locks with 14" control areas!

Taking, say, 2 min units of PGBH is just 4pts and gives me 8 models to drain Fury with, so potentially doable on a pair of Titans. Having only just picked up the Forces book, I'm not seeing anything other than PGBH that can heal things, but an Agonizer is possibly a 'get out of jail free' card making enemy models do less damage...

Quote Originally Posted by kantoboy View Post
    I think this will change with that flying reptile beast coming out soon. Sure, he won't be top tier, but he will be much more playable.
    I completely agree Having played Grayle for a while, being able to charge in, shank something squishy nearby (to get the Sprint) before putting some damage on to something big and nasty is awesome, and being able to Blind them with the Lord Assassin will just be the icing on the cake.

It'll certainly mean that the army will be focused quite heavily around eMorghoul himself, but on first glances, I don't think that's any different to how he'd play pre-Domination

eHexy is great at healing since his Vampiric harvest and the potential 14 fury turn he can really bring a beast back from almost dead.

Destroyer of Worlds

Taking, say, 2 min units of PGBH is just 4pts and gives me 8 models to drain Fury with, so potentially doable on a pair of Titans. Having only just picked up the Forces book, I'm not seeing anything other than PGBH that can heal things, but an Agonizer is possibly a 'get out of jail free' card making enemy models do less damage...
    Every warlock can heal beasts by spending fury.