Default Pushing the Grinder at the end of a Steamjack's movement

Hi,

I've recently discovered Grind: what a beautiful game ! The rules are pretty clear and the official faq helps a lot but there is one thing I'm not sure about:

may a Steamjack end his movement near the Grinder, then pick it up and place it in other adjancent square (=push action) or does he need to move at least once with the grinder to push it and change its position ?

I think the answer is he needs to move at least once with it as the rules says that:

During its advance, a steamjack equipped with a control arm can push the Grinder.

So if you don't Advance, you can't push the grinder. And if you stop your advance near the grinder, you can't pick it up as it won't be during the steamjack's advance.

The rules also says that to push the Grinder you have to:
    a/ Declare the Push and remove the Grinder from the field
    b/ End the Jack's movement
    c/ Place the Grinder back on the field

If the Steamjack ends his movement near the Grinder and then pick it up, he would firstly do b/, than a/, than c/. So that's incorrect.

Agree ?

There's a FAQ question which applies indirectly here:
    M4. If my Jack picks up a Grinder then set it down behind it can it than use it's movement after moving the Grinder?
    No. When you push the Grinder than set it down, even if your Jack did not move, your Jack has completed its movement.
    (Emphasis added.)

Thanks, good point !

But I really would like to see a more detailed (and official) answer. Do the designers still come and see what is going on Grind's forum ?
    Last edited by king bing; 12-19-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Really appreciate this post. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it!
    Last edited by MsMillie55; 12-16-2014 at 11:24 PM.
    [urlhttp://www.amazon.com/Marinade-Recipes-Ultimate-Recipe-Daily-ebook/dp/B014FFPIRK/]http://www.amazon.com/Marinade-Recipes-Ultimate-Recipe-Daily-ebook/dp/B014FFPIRK/[/url]

Destroyer of Worlds azoxystrobin's Avatar
    Bouhet city, near la Rochelle, France, Europe

I've been playing it as steamjack can move onto the grinder square if it has a control arm and hasn't already done an action (and therefore push it) once the push is over, the jack can't do anything else.
    The difference is that I couldn't find it clearly written in the rules that you can push at any time during the jack's movement, it only shows examples of pushing the grinder if it starts adjacent to your jack.

Quote Originally Posted by azoxystrobin View Post
    I've been playing it as steamjack can move onto the grinder square if it has a control arm and hasn't already done an action (and therefore push it) once the push is over, the jack can't do anything else.
    The jack can't move into the grinder square when the grinder is there. It has to move to (or start in) a space adjacent to the grinder, pick it up, then move to where the grinder used to be, and then do whatever (putting the grinder down when it eventually finishes its movement).

The example on page 12 of the PDF has the warjack starting three squares away from the grinder.

And, per the FAQ, when the model puts the grinder down, it's movement is now done.

Destroyer of Worlds azoxystrobin's Avatar
    Bouhet city, near la Rochelle, France, Europe

Ah so it picks it up before it moves onto the square with the grinder? Okay, fair enough.
    I thought the sticking pont was being able to move at all before pushing the grinder, or if a steamjack absolutely had to begin its activation adjacent to the thing.
    But that's all cool.

Quote Originally Posted by solkan View Post
    The jack can't move into the grinder square when the grinder is there. It has to move to (or start in) a space adjacent to the grinder, pick it up, then move to where the grinder used to be, and then do whatever (putting the grinder down when it eventually finishes its movement).

The example on page 12 of the PDF has the warjack starting three squares away from the grinder.

And, per the FAQ, when the model puts the grinder down, it's movement is now done.
    Time for some necromancy!
    Anyone has their hands on the pdf or this misterious FAQ? I can't seem to find any of those.
    Played today first game. Seems like a very nice game indeed

By "page 12 of the PDF" I was referring to the Grinder rules PDF.
    Link available here: http://privateerpress.com/grind-rules-available-in-pdf
    but I assume it's the same as the printed rulebook in the box I have at home.

And the FAQ is this one: http://privateerpressforums.com/show...from-old-forum
    M4. If my Jack picks up a Grinder then set it down behind it can it than use it's movement after moving the Grinder? No. When you push the Grinder than set it down, even if your Jack did not move, your Jack has completed it's movement, per PPS_Mike.

Great thanks! why that post is not a sticky!
    and on the pdf. It is alqways better to have a digital copy

Can you hit it or throw the grinder after putting it down ?
    Also are boost die limited to 4 per turn (apart from charge bonuses etc?) Or you always roll them when they are needed?
    Last edited by dogrizz; 01-30-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogrizz View Post
    Great thanks! why that post is not a sticky!
    and on the pdf. It is alqways better to have a digital copy
    That FAQ is the top sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by dogrizz View Post
    Can you hit it or throw the grinder after putting it down ?
    Also are boost die limited to 4 per turn (apart from charge bonuses etc?) Or you always roll them when they are needed?
    Yep, you can advance (picking up the grinder during the advance and then putting it down at the end) and then attack the grinder.

From the entry for Boost Dice:
    You can never roll more than 4 boost dice at a time. If a game effect results in a situation where you would roll more than 4 boost dice, you roll only 4 of them.
    You can roll more than four dice at once for something, but you're only ever going to have at most four boost dice in the roll.

That FAQ is the top sticky.
    Ye noticed this later. Not enough cofee aparently.
    Yep, you can advance (picking up the grinder during the advance and then putting it down at the end) and then attack the grinder.
    Wow. Imba. Also can this be only basic attack or any attack ?

From the entry for Boost Dice:
    You can roll more than four dice at once for something, but you're only ever going to have at most four boost dice in the roll.
    What i was asking was. Can i use pulverizer than wreck-o-mattik (5 boost die so far) and then do some other stuff that requires boost dice. (Therefore use more dice than 4 in a turn).
    Last edited by dogrizz; 02-03-2014 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Additional question

You need a control arm to push the grinder, so you're giving up an offensive weapon choice to do that, and you're not allowed to enter or leave block zones while carrying the grinder. So there are some pretty big limitations in place. Otherwise, you only get so many power dice (they don't come back until next turn, and you have to use at least one per power attack), you can make a power attack against the grinder after putting it down if you want to spend the dice.

But unlike the action dice and the power dice, you don't "use up" the boost dice. You just roll as many as you're told to. So if you use the pulverizer you roll three boost dice for that attack; then two boost dice for the wreck-o-matic; and then you'd still get all three boost dice if the next 'jack used a heavy grappler. If you didn't get those free boost dice, you'd have a difficult time getting anything done in a round.

Ok. Thx for help I think that cleared up most of my concerns