Thread: MonsterInsider

Default MonsterInsider

It's been a year since the last update will they give us a new one for Christmas, along with a general tournament release of the Rise block quantums.

What do people think?
    All Hail Cthugrosh, Greatest of the Lords of Cthul.

Nope. Maybe once the re-stock issues with Hordemachine are situated, we'll get some monpoc love.

restock issues?

Yeah, they've been getting destroyed with product orders and they can't fill them fast enough.

Warrior

Default back from the "dead"

Im post divorce and had a few mins spare time to look in on a game I truely enjoyed

and found the same old garbage

look guys as bad as I hate saying this...the Nashville (Smashville) crew has been in this from the start.....we had 2 of our members as PG and they have been around with PP for a spell

PP has ALREADY made more $$ off of what was considered a "beer and skittles" game than they ever expected...a LOT more

enough more to the point its gotten redundant whether or not the game continues....its going to take hard work and dedication to keep the CORPORATE end of MonPoc up and running. Im not sure they have either, let alone the want to...

as for the "movie"...let me give you an insight....I worked for a law office in upstate NY when "Time Machine" was being filmed....if you saw the film then the scene with the horse drawn sleigh going down the street and he stops to get flowers

not a huge scene....pretty piddly in fact

now.....the occupants of the buildings....both commercial and residential were paid $50 to let them hang those awnings over each window (so you cant see multi pane storm windows)

pretty nice huh? $50 for nothing....they came in...hung them....came in...took them down...you did JACK

oh wait...except for the guy on the 5th floor that bluntly said "my window isnt in your shots....no you arent coming in"

evicted in short order...why? cause $$ talks

when a major motion picture company wants something? they get it...plain and simple, cause they have $$ by the truckload...to either grease wheels OR defend in court (even if they lose...they stall you long enough that the shooting sched is over...so they get their way ANYWAY)

can DW tell PP to absolutely NOT talk about release or production scheds and make it stick?

OMFG YES THEY CAN....especially if there is any "new pieces" based on the movie....and let me mention....DW's lawyers can write one hummer of a contract

non-legalese version "if there is one leak of any size shape or form on any piece from your line that in any way ties into the movie you forfeit X amount of $$"

that X amount can easily be in the 6-7digit range

ok but thats just the new pieces right? umm no....read it again "any piece from your line" wanna bet there is a Gtank or Strike fighter or (insert S1 piece name here) in the movie? How bout SS or DX? (yeah I played GUARD)

so concept art....no
    re-release old piece no
    sell out old stock so they can go to non-random? sure....bought by 3rd party that is re-selling

to be blunt....DW doesnt give a flip if MonPoc goes under, why WOULD they? PP should...DW doesnt, they can make their movie with or without an active line, gods know a lot of movies dont have a toy line behind them

note I said PP **SHOULD** care...didnt say they did...didnt say they didnt...its very possible they are just in burn out cause between MonPoc and WarmaHordes as well as Bodger GRIND etc? they have been working hard

do I wish MP would fire up and I could play a game I enjoyed again? oh yes
    am I holding my breath? sadly no

PP will likely revisit this property in three or four years when we've either A. got a new movie to drum up interest or B. DW contract either expires or they get released from it somehow. I'm merely speculating on the second, as I would hope that PP isn't foolish enough to give DW indefinite control over the property, but the way the deal is being handled in general doesn't do too much to bolster confidence. I want to trust that they're doing all they can (hands tied as they are) but the brutal silence makes it impossible to know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantPhil View Post
    PP will likely revisit this property in three or four years when we've either A. got a new movie to drum up interest or B. DW contract either expires or they get released from it somehow. I'm merely speculating on the second, as I would hope that PP isn't foolish enough to give DW indefinite control over the property, but the way the deal is being handled in general doesn't do too much to bolster confidence. I want to trust that they're doing all they can (hands tied as they are) but the brutal silence makes it impossible to know for certain.
    From what I could tell from all the reading that I have been doing on the matter lately. The movie looks like it will have a late 2012 to mid 2013 release date. Though these resources are sketchy at best (divulging into IMDB and wiki) or still speculative (ign, team covanent, and other sights following the like). But it sounds like the movie is really going to come out soon. Also in the newest interview, while talking about warmahorde, someone did ask about monpoc. There response is that it is in holding position, but they are doing something about it. They just weren't sure what, if anything, they could talk about. But stuff is still in production.

But from the sound of it, browolf seems to be the closest to what all official reports have said, that they can't talk about anything at all or do anything until the movie is closer to release. But it sounds like PP is able to keep afloat till then, they do have a plan from the sound of it, just us fans cannot loose hope.

Mind you I have especially been heavy on the research lately because it is one of 3 games that my comic shop is getting in and I wanted to make sure it wasn't dead dead before I made effort. I love the game, and I am trying to get it in my area. So here is hoping that they don't kill it before we get to that point...please keep our love on life support and don't pull the plug.

Quote Originally Posted by irnyst View Post
    Also in the newest interview, while talking about warmahorde, someone did ask about monpoc. There response is that it is in holding position, but they are doing something about it. They just weren't sure what, if anything, they could talk about. But stuff is still in production.
    Where did you find the interview? I'd like to know the exact words that were said before analyzing the meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandor View Post
    Where did you find the interview? I'd like to know the exact words that were said before analyzing the meaning.
    here is the link

its not the newest thing, but it is newer then a lot of news out there. The response is at 18:20 or so.

as far as with the movie timing, that was all based on IMDB and Wikipedias entry plus a few websites, I know that a few of them are linked to a few of teamcovenants websites news.
    Last edited by irnyst; 04-03-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: forgot some info

Zombie Conqueror

The movie hasn't even been cast. I doubt it's through any kind of pre-production. It's not coming out in 2012. Earliest release at this point would be spring 2013, and that would be if they started today on pre-production.

Quote Originally Posted by irnyst View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by interview
    DC: Not allowed to say anything.
    Ed: I?m in the same boat. It?s in a holding pattern. We still definitely want to do more with it? Right now it?s kind of a wait and see based on the? uh? I think based on the movie deal. There?s certainly a lot more there we can work with.

Yeah? it?s an old interview, but Ed?s statement did give us some good information.

The ?holding pattern? confirmed what we expected ? nothing new in the pipeline.

The ?kind of a wait and see? tells us when to expect the end of the holding pattern.

The ?based on the? uh? I think based on the movie deal? indicates the holding pattern will likely continue until the movie, but the movie is not why MonPoc is in the holding pattern.

Of course the ?We still definitely want to do more with it? confirms what we already knew ? they have plenty of ideas that could be turned into future product, making a great game even better.

It could mean any manner of things, like DC said, not allowed to say anything. If a company was 100% definitely going to continue the line, there's really no backlash to saying such, saying nothing only means there's a chance that it's done, no matter how small.

The silence could be from the marketing dept, hoping to sell off the last of their backstock, or the majority of it, before announcing it dead, because when that announcement gets back, what little sales there are, will shrink. People like to buy games that see support from the company that makes it.. which MonPoc hasn't seen for a long time. (And I'm clearly not talking about repackaged old minis or prize support.)

I was there at Gencon for the initial release, like many others, I purchased the hell out of it, having always been a fan of Kaiju, MonPoc is the best game I've ever seen to take on the topic, and it would be a shame if it were to indeed go. Though from a company perspective, it is a niche' market unfortunately, which limits sales to an extent. Either way, it would be nice to see a new expansion, and them get back to their original release schedule.. ..though I think it far more likely that it'll be dropped from their production lines, as they have their fingers into so many other new things on the way.

My bet is that the silence has very little to do with the marketing department. Having heard stories of PP's lawyers and their antics, I'm more inclined to think they're intimidated by the Dreamworks deal and are erring on the side of caution. They still don't let people post stats for WM/H figures straight-up and instead make people go roundabout with it (every battlecollege page is an example of this... "average SPD/MAT/DEF", "standard statline", etc.).

The company makes amazing products, but I think they're afraid to risk anything which is a dangerous gambit in the fickle world of games. If they get released soon and/or the movie does really well, MonPoc could come back better than ever. If they stay in this limbo and don't do anything to show that they haven't just quit on the game, there's a chance that they may come back and find most of the playerbase gone. I'm not saying it would never be rebuilt, but gamers can be a very unforgiving lot. There are a couple companies that I never intend to buy collectible games from again because of exactly what PP is doing now, keeping silent, not doing anything visible, and letting the game fizzle out and die. I'm holding out hope with PP, but the scene is all too familiar.

Well, they could always try a Kickstarter if everything falls through.

---Dave

I'm sure there are more than a few fans who would contribute, considering how many already have a decent investment in figures for the game.

I'm not confidant it would make the funding goal needed to produce a set, but it would be very interesting to see.

Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by CovenantPhil View Post
    I'm not saying it would never be rebuilt, but gamers can be a very unforgiving lot.
    seldom have more true words been spoken here

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbobb View Post
    The movie hasn't even been cast. I doubt it's through any kind of pre-production. It's not coming out in 2012. Earliest release at this point would be spring 2013, and that would be if they started today on pre-production.

Maybe it hasn't been cast but has anyone said it would be live action? If it is CG as many DW works are then the casting may not have been needed until closer to the end, just before the polishing touches that make the movie look really nice.

It's entirely possible, and I want you to be right (although I'd prefer live action to CG for MonPoc). But with all the people in this community, I would think that it would be quite likely for us to have heard some rumblings of progress on the horizon if there were anything going on with it. Of course, the industry may be much more secretive than I expect, but surely someone has a cousin in Dreamworks that can get us the inside scoop.

Zombie Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by ElementalChumpion View Post
    Maybe it hasn't been cast but has anyone said it would be live action? If it is CG as many DW works are then the casting may not have been needed until closer to the end, just before the polishing touches that make the movie look really nice.
    DW hasn't locked anything down yet, but they do have an animation division, and everything I've found points to DW proper, not DWA. Burton's animated films have pretty exclusively been the Nightmare Before Christmas/claymation films, and most of those have been through Disney. I'm not aware of any exclusive contract he has with them...and Corpse Bride was WB, not Disney...but I really hope it's not claymation, as I don't think that fits the genre in any way.

I actually was disappointed by this. After seeing how well DWA presented the final confrontation in How To Train Your Dragon, I have full faith that they'd be able to pull off an animated Monpoc film.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbobb View Post
    DW hasn't locked anything down yet, but they do have an animation division, and everything I've found points to DW proper, not DWA. Burton's animated films have pretty exclusively been the Nightmare Before Christmas/claymation films, and most of those have been through Disney. I'm not aware of any exclusive contract he has with them...and Corpse Bride was WB, not Disney...but I really hope it's not claymation, as I don't think that fits the genre in any way.

I actually was disappointed by this. After seeing how well DWA presented the final confrontation in How To Train Your Dragon, I have full faith that they'd be able to pull off an animated Monpoc film.

I'm sad too, I liked that movie.... However what I really want to know is why Dreamworks was givin' a shot at this in the first place. Despite whatever people think of him as a person, Michael Bay was practically MADE to make a movie like MonPoc and I am kinda sad that Burton maybe in charge of directing a MonPoc movie. (as far as I know) this is something he hasn't ever really done before. Where as Michael Bay tends to eat city scape on a regular basis. Am I alone here?

Zombie Conqueror

I can't stand Bay. He knows how to shoot explosions, but that's about it. His Transformers films are unwatchable, because once you get over the gee whiz factor, you realize how poor the rest of the films are. Burton at least knows how to tell a good story, and I'd rather see more good story than a few more shots of cool looking SFX.

simply put, if Michael bay was in the drivers seat, i would not watch it.

*Thinks* If Michael Bay made the movie...

Protagonist would be an annoying, superficial teen-angst stereotype or some US millitary person. If a millitary person, the movie will revolve around some guy showing up Guard all the time and coming in with a machine gun and a bunch of regular US planes to save GUARD.
    There would be a lot of explosions but not much visible as to what's causing them.
    Total of 5 minutes of on-screen monster fighting in a 2 hour plus feature.
    Said fighting would be difficult to make heads or tails of and would be periodically interrupted by "comedic" animal procreation sessions.

...yeah, no thanks. Keep Bay the heck away from our Monpoc.
    Destroyers were my first love, but I dabble in everything.

Time spent whining over which faction is overpowered could be better spent playing and bettering one's game. Read page 5 and play.
    Farrow, Cryx, Gators, Mercs, Circle, Retribution and Cygnar. Variety is the spice of life.

Michael Nay.
    Team Covenant name: Mars Elemental.
    You know, like an Earth elemental....only from Mars!.
    *crickets*