Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Warrior

Smile How would you rank the Hordes factions?

Hi everyone, I am new to the Iron Kingdom and all its factions. I was introduced just over a month ago so please forgive me for my ignorance to the lore, the history, and any possible thread that already had this topic. If there is a thread with this topic i would appriciate someone pointing it out to me so i could get the answers i am looking for. I have started a warmachine army and am now looking to start a hordes army. I don't want to own the best hordes faction out there but don't want to spend hard earned money on a faction that will get owned almost every game. I am thinking of the Trollbloods but didn't want to jump in without knowing a bit about their competitiveness etc. I will let my question get more in dept. The question I pose to you all is the following.

How would you rank the Hordes faction from 1-4 (1 being the best and 4 being he worst) on competitiveness, tournament use, fun factor, overall flexibility of effective list vs both warmachine and hordes.

Thanks in advance for your time, patience, understanding of a noob and his dumb questions, and for you taking the time to answer this question.

1. Legion
    2/3. Circle/Skorne
    4. Trollbloods

IDK. They're really close, to the point where this is basically a list of "how well did they do in major tournaments this year". It's a really narrow margin between them.

4. Trollbloods. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?! I mean, sure, I don't have any exp[eriance, but they ranked really high in the last tournament seen I saw.
    In any case, there is no ranking. There all the same. NOTHING is better then anything else in this game!
    "The question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

Overall they are pretty equal. I personally think Circle is the hardest to win with, but that is due to the higher learning curve I perceive they have. Many people are in the mind set that Legion is the best faction....well truth is one guy won 3 major tournaments using Legion. Says more about the player than the faction.

This is totally subjective but in my meta is probably:

1) Legion/Trolls
    2) Circle
    3) Skorne

Now with that said I'm not sure that any of them are way different in power level from others just that there are more experienced players for those factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
    4. Trollbloods. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!?! I mean, sure, I don't have any exp[eriance, but they ranked really high in the last tournament seen I saw.
    In any case, there is no ranking. There all the same. NOTHING is better then anything else in this game!
    Like I said, results of major tournaments last year. The others won something, Trolls didn't, so.... that's the extent of my justification.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
    No offence bro, but no game is perfectly balanced. Overall I tend to agree with you that none of the factions have a dominating edge over the others. In all honesty though, there are some models that are better than others in a general sense, and then there are models that fill a special niche.

Destroyer of Worlds

1. Circle
    2. Legion
    3. Skorne
    4. Trolls

Warrior

Thanks so very much for the quick replies. I have to agree that no system out there that can have equal balance between all factions hence why I ask the questions. It is very interesting how in the limited replies there is already a variety between 1st and 4th. I guess that the reason i was asking is because of let say "other games systems" out there do have armies or factions (whichever you prefer) at a disadvantage whether it be units that are lesser than another faction, or let say heroes/casters/locks that don't have anywhere near the same compatabilites of other heroes/casters/locks until the next update comes out. Something that attracted me to this game is the fact that when i faction is updated the whole faction is updated. Please keep your responses coming. Looking forward to see who the community here thinks has the top hordes faction. Thanks again everyone!

As you can see, everyone has their different opinion on the matter. In terms of competitiveness, it will depend on the person rather than the faction in most cases. Yes, some factions do have a harder time with certain things than some others do, but for the most part it is the player. Some of the reasons you don't see Trollbloods on top for example is how some of the most competitive players that frequently go to well known tournaments don't often take Trollbloods. If the top tier players in the world are not interested in Trolls then....you won't really see a lot of Troll winnings.

How would you rank the Hordes faction from 1-4 (1 being the best and 4 being he worst) on competitiveness, tournament use, fun factor, overall flexibility of effective list vs both warmachine and hordes.

Competitiveness
    1. Legion
    2. Circle
    3. Trolls
    4. Skorne

Tournament Use
    1. Legion
    2. Circle
    3. Skorne
    4. Trolls

Fun Factor
    1. Trolls
    2. Circle
    3. Legion
    4. Skorne

Effectiveness (Versus pissing off opponents in both succeeding and seeing on the board)
    1. Legion
    2. Trolls
    3. Circle
    4. Skorne

Totals:
    Legion: 6pts
    Circle: 9pts
    Trolls: 10pts
    Skorne:15pts

Thats my opinion out of the meta around me and from what I have played. It will all depend on your playstyle and how you enjoy the playstyle of the faction. I personally got Trolls because I liked the fluff, and mainly because they were the underdogs of MKI. I've played in many local and some well known tourney's (Mainly Gencon) and although I never placed in the prestigious tourneys, I have won many local tourneys. But the biggest thing I did was have fun, and thats what it really is all about in the end.
    Current Faction(s): Retribution/Trolls/Menoth:
    Trolls: Restripped, now with more ! 275/383 points completed.
    Retribution: Back with a Vengeance! 118/229 points completed.

Annihilator

Hands down, since the release of Domination,

Skorne
    Legion/Trolls
    Circle

Prior to Domination, I think it was

Legion/Skorne
    Circle
    Trolls

Epic Hexeris will be dominating the tournament scene, or making a really good showing in competitive play. With Blackspot and Ashes to Ashes, we will ensure that infantry is gone, and people have to match beasts versus beasts or jacks versus beasts, and Skorne wins that.
    IMHO they already had the best infantry in Hordes as well (Trolls are real close with certain units). A flying beast IMHO was a huge mistake to put in Skorne, as is that animi. Slingers will really hurt infantry swarms and shield wall units, and with black spot they will be able to wipe out a full unit a round. Skorne are the new Cryx

Conqueror

I can only comment on 1st: Legion
    Not to knock any other faction but Legion seems like the current 'full of win' faction in both systems.
    Want clearer knowledge on WarmaHordes gamers near you that come to the forums? Post up in this thread to help create region specific forums for our gaming communities!
    http://privateerpressforums.com/show...ferrerid=76237

Warrior

Has domination really affect the hordes seen this much? Has there been enough time to really make a statement like this and is epic hexeris the new denny? What's the feeling out there now that domination has re-sculpted the hordes seen.

Annihilator

Noone said he HAS resculpted anything. I said he WILL be dominating or at least have some really strong showing. Thats a prediction, nothing more. He is a tad over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Deist View Post
    No offence bro, but no game is perfectly balanced. Overall I tend to agree with you that none of the factions have a dominating edge over the others. In all honesty though, there are some models that are better than others in a general sense, and then there are models that fill a special niche.
    Yeah, I get that. But over all, it's all up to opinion.
    "The question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" Albert Einstein

For shame, all of you...

Minions are the best. PERIOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by scout's honor View Post
    I count MagnustheJust among my favourite posters, so my sanity may be impaired regardless of work, OzMachine and/or other podcasts.
    Quote Originally Posted by solkan View Post
    You mean Magnus isn't the Harbinger of the Comfy Chair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovnik Tsumi View Post
    Magnus may not be a myth, but he is a legend!

if by the numbers... based on my local meta
    1) Legion
    2) Trolls
    3) Circle
    4) Skorne

fun factor depends on what you want out of your army &/or how you play.
    they are all balanced in that there are key models/units each army has that is an "auto include" or that you will see in most if not all the competitive armies.

i would suggest if your leaning towards trolls (or any army really) read their story "fluff", look at the models (the ones you like the look of) & eyeball the stats of the faction.
    also either before or after picking a faction (both) give the faction community threads a look over

good luck ...

ps. try trolls out ... they are the funnest faction IMO (yes even though im a Circle & MERC first kinda of guy) i have always had a troll army

BrokenCoast Gamers a site for BC gamers to
    coalesce !

Warrior

thanks for all the responses, i have a lot to think about. The eyeball test is tough because of the great product that PP is putting out. I just wished i could read all the fluff in one spot but I am in the process of trying to get all the old books so that i can read the fluff and get caught up to domination. Agree that reading the faction thread is a must and it will be done. I just might have to sample a bit of each and keep an open mind until i get the awe factor. Thanks again to all of you for your input and quick responses.

The problem is that you can't say "X won A out of B" tournaments last year so it's clearly better, and take that as a statistically credible statement for a sample size of 30. Because without looking at the rest of the tournament data, some player with faction X won three out of three games, most of the faction X players won one out of three games, and most of the players with faction Y just consistently won two out three of their games. After all, the person playing the "Win big or go home" list just has to get lucky three or four times to win the tournament. If someone says "the winners of the major tournaments" that's only making the problem worse rather than improving the statistical accuracy of the results, because that's just limiting the sample size.

A list of match results between players, with a decent score of each player's skill level, their skill level with the faction, and the match results, would be far more useful for determining which factions are better than the others. Is anyone keeping track of that?

I think skorne won out on Tiberion, not eHexy. Legion got great all around releases with the Naga, eVayl, the succubus and potentially the battle engine. Circle got Gallows groves and Ghetorix which look solid. Trolls....don't know that I am too excited about any of their releases. Lots of good stuff overall.

Notice the trend that Legion is always considered to be in the top 1-2. This is an indication that the faction does what it does well. If what you want to do is win then this faction, as you can see, has the tools and cohesive approach to do it.

I'm not saying legion is unbalanced; they are just very strong and do the things they are good at quite well and everyone seems to agree.

Honestly though I would just go with the faction containing the models you most enjoy or a playstyle you would enjoy; more so than winning most people enjoy the game more when they have that personal connection. So find out more about each faction in the appropriate forums. Most factions have quite helpful communities.

Destroyer of Worlds The Happy Anarchist's Avatar

It seems like your main concern is not that you have the best faction, but that you can give the best factions a run for their money.

In the vein of that answer, and your interest in trollbloods, I can certainly recommend them. They haven't let me down yet, and I have yet to have a battle that I feel I can't win. That said, I make full use of our ranged options, both beasts like the Bomber and minions like the Nyss. A common trap for new troll players is to go all in on melee options, and ignore the great minion options we can get - this can lead to severe frustration when facing a caster like Saeryn or the Dennys/Haleys. Make more balanced lists though, or at least have one balanced list and it isn't a big issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsquid View Post
    I also employ a "Darkwing Duck" philosophy, when the game starts going against me...it's time to get Dangerous...
    Quote Originally Posted by Impostor View Post
    And then, Grim Angus said "Trollbloods shall be the one true people entitled to Tough."

The ranking is subjective, obviously.

In my purely-unbiased opinion, it would be
    1: Legion
    2: Circle
    3: Trolls
    4: Skorne
    5: Minions

This is an overall-faction opinion. Obviously there are wild-cards that change things. Circle can play with many of the same strengths as legion does, but Circle, in my opinion, has far more dud models that don't add much. Likewise skorne can win if you take molik karn. Minions, obviously, are too new and limited to be a major contender yet.

That said, all these armies can win and have plenty going for them. Even minions generally do well in terms of normal games and competitive strengths in a single-player vs single-player format. A tournament scene is different though. You're not playing against one, you're playing against many, and you're far more restricted. Such an environment hurts Minions more, as they have fewer ways to deal with enemy tricks, and their tricks are fewer in number. They also have fewer options overall.

On the topic of competitiveness, they're all pretty even. In a normal straight fight, any of these factions, even minions, can give someone a run for their money. It's only in the tournament-scene where some factions start to wear down and a pattern starts to appear.

On the topic of fun, it's purely subjective. Some people think werewolves are the coolest thing in the world. Some people love gators. Some people love Skorne aesthetic and vibe. Some love the fight-the-good-fight troll attitude. Some love an alien invasion. However, that said, I will say this: All the factions here are pretty well-represented, and circle, legion, and trolls all have a solid player-base. However, everyone who has picked up skorne has eventually dropped it and all for the same reason; "They're boring". The only Skorne players I know in my local meta are new players. I don't know if that's the experience anywhere else, but given how many people here have said it, I'd imagine there's some truth to it, and I can certainly see why.

On the topic of overall flexibility, I would rank as follows:
    -Warmachine
    -Trolls
    -Circle
    -Legion
    -Minions
    -Skorne

This is on the terms of being able to run stable lists up to 50 points that can deviate wildly from each other and still be good enough to do well. Warmachine has this in pretty much every faction, but Hordes generally doesn't, and the hordes factions all follow their niches pretty rigidly. Sure, they have plenty of options, but they're all going to feel rather similar. All the hordes factions do have options, obviously, and the amount of those options has climbed pretty significantly as of late, but as far as being able to get a lot of different list styles out of a single faction, hordes can't even begin to scratch warmachine. As for the hordes factions themselves, trolls feel like they have the most variety (as in they can run for speed, or denial, or attrition, or melee, or ranged, etc). I would actually venture to say that Trolls feels the most like a Warmachine faction in terms of how many different styles of models they can run, but the problem is that everything in faction is a troll. Everything. Not a single solo, warbeast, unit, or solo is anything except a troll. Every other faction has more creature variety. Circle is pretty close behind, mostly because they have slightly fewer options, and some of their list styles (IE; a ranged-dedicated list) can be done, but aren't that effective. Legion has a fair bit of options too, but unlike the previous factions, they mostly still slide towards a specific mode of winning. So while they have options on how to build the list and how the list plays, the ultimate victory tends to usually be the same. Minions have a very specific sort of flexibility, even in a tournament scene, if you play both Blindwater and Thornfall. Like mercs, the contracts/pacts are all still part of that one umbrella faction, but each contract/pact can allow for a completely different list of tools and tricks, almost comparable with being able to change factions in the middle of the event. That said, each pact/faction has fewer options than any faction. This leaves Skorne at the bottom, because Skorne can only do one thing; melee. They have a dozen-and-a-half different flavors of melee, but it's all still melee.
    Last edited by Lanz; 01-09-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    "If at first you don't succeed, label it version 1.0."

Quote Originally Posted by MagnustheJust View Post
    For shame, all of you...

Minions are the best. PERIOD.
    Minions isn't a Faction
    Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Well, that's like your opinion, man. :>

Destroyer of Worlds Vicomte Athos's Avatar

Honestly I think it ranks up more like this:

Legion/Trolls
    Circle/Skorne/Minions

The deviation between the two while small is still noticeable.

Minions for sheer awesomeness of Pigs and Gators. Seriously, how many other Hordes factions actually have such a high proportion of beasts as their casters? That they took me to 2nd place at my local Domination event, an event in which a good half of the participants have been at the game a LOT longer than I have, helps too.

After that:
    2) Circle for having the coolest Battle Engine and beasts with options. Evil-dead trees as troops and a caster is also pretty swanky.
    3) Legion for having the 2nd best beasts (although they are not the awesomeness that is Noun-Hogs) and the best LOS shennanigans.
    4) Trolls for having lots of answers to many things, and pretty much everything once the lightning troll comes out.
    5) Skorne for looking like radiation-fallout elves...though their casters, beasts and infantry are pretty awesome stat and ability-wise. (Don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise, even if they claim to play Skorne, they obviously don't and just want to keep those powerful stats to themselves. ) They're also the Hordes Undead faction and can screw with Cryx that way, though Minions appears to be gaining ground in that territory.

Really though, all factions are good and pretty well balanced. I recommend finding the aesthetics you like the most, ordering them compared to the ones you like the least, then seeing what is common in your local meta. Variety is the spice of life.

As far as competitive goes, just make sure you know the rules, know the scenario, and have your good dice with you. Everything else is practice.

Also, consider that every faction has warlocks that are easier to use and ones that are harder to use. Make sure you start your learning with the easier ones to avoid a lot of initial frustration. I recommend Carver/Bloody Barnabas if you go Minions and the Battle-box casters if you go with any of the others.
    Last edited by Maou_Mint; 01-09-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    Destroyers were my first love, but I dabble in everything.

Time spent whining over which faction is overpowered could be better spent playing and bettering one's game. Read page 5 and play.
    Farrow, Cryx, Gators, Mercs, Circle, Retribution and Cygnar. Variety is the spice of life.

The problem with these questions are that it is really about what fits you well. Some factions and their styles fit certain people. i have beat every faction and I get crushed by every faction. A better question is to ask yourself what is your style and the styles for each faction .
    Check out www.museonminis.com for strategy and hobby articles.

TROLLS! we have ale!
    Searforge: 269 Points 10 Wins / 13 Losses
    Blindwater: 162 Points 6 Wins / 11 Losses

I have seen the Troll light.... and I hate every single one of the buggers. Good job. You made Cryx mad.
    If I'm here it means I'm lurking.
    If I'm posting it means I'm not playing any games.

Watch out for Skorne this year, after Domination they are really ridiculously OP Besides, last year Gencon Hardcore allready had a Skorne vs Skorne Finale and overall they placed 3rd in the Championship and now they got buffed through the roof...

Skorne are #1!
    I think after all the hype about Legion they are going to get sideboarded against something wicked. Skorne are one of those dark horse factions that always do well but nobody seems to notice.

"He had some steampunk take on Baba ****ing Yaga, creeping around the treeline with some ten foot tall chickenoid contraption from which clouds of starving ravens were constantly erupting. Its very exhaust was dark birds, with clever eyes and cracked beaks. I don't know; on paper, that looks basically like a win." -Tycho, Penny Arcade

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboyempire View Post
    Thanks so very much for the quick replies. I have to agree that no system out there that can have equal balance between all factions hence why I ask the questions. It is very interesting how in the limited replies there is already a variety between 1st and 4th. I guess that the reason i was asking is because of let say "other games systems" out there do have armies or factions (whichever you prefer) at a disadvantage whether it be units that are lesser than another faction, or let say heroes/casters/locks that don't have anywhere near the same compatabilites of other heroes/casters/locks until the next update comes out. Something that attracted me to this game is the fact that when i faction is updated the whole faction is updated. Please keep your responses coming. Looking forward to see who the community here thinks has the top hordes faction. Thanks again everyone!

Some systems do have a well defined tier system. Like how fighting games have agreed on S-class, A-class rankings. However, Warmachine/Hordes doesn't really do that for a variety of reasons, but the biggest is this:

The warlock (or warcaster for warmachine) completely changes up your army.

At the most basic level there are infantry support, warbeast/warjack support, spell assassination, melee assassination (or ranged for Cygnar with Siege, Kara and Caine). If a faction has a good variety to choose from, then people will think it's much better. In the tournament scene it means you are more likely to cover you bases with multiple lists, in more casual play it just means that it's more likely that a certain flavor of faction x will give someone trouble.

So unless you plan on playing lots of warlocks, the 'which faction is the best' isn't really going to matter as much to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboyempire View Post
    Has domination really affect the hordes seen this much? Has there been enough time to really make a statement like this and is epic hexeris the new denny? What's the feeling out there now that domination has re-sculpted the hordes seen.
    That's also why Domination has the potential to change things up; although in the case of Skorne they got a new light beast that can be used to center a credible shooting game. Which is something that Skorne was pretty much missing before. Also eHexeris looks like an awesome warlock (who 'wins' a book sometimes comes down solely to who got the best warcaster/lock due to what I said above).

While there are faction distinctions, each of the factions can pull off a pretty wide variety of play-styles (Trolls seems kind of samey to me... but I haven't played again Trolls in Mk2 at all, so what do I know). So, as long as you figure out how you like playing you can probably find a warlock/army list in any of the factions to suit you just fine.

I can't make any guarantees about competitiveness... I wanted to play a melee assassin, so I've been trying Rhyas a lot lately and she isn't that great. I might end up picking up Kallus to see if he lets me do what I want.

1: Best player
    2: Second best player
    3: Third runner up
    4: You get the idea.

Doesn't matter which faction you play. Best player is going to take the game. (Unless dice fail miserably)

Destroyer of Worlds 2LiveIs2Die's Avatar

1. legion
    2. everything else

1: factions played by excellent players.
    2: factions played by great players.
    3: factions played by good players.
    4: factions played by average players.
    5: factions played by poor players.
    6: factions played by bad players.

Please note, the above may all be mitigated and modified by "luck".

Destroyer of Worlds scout's honor's Avatar

1. Trollbloods - I already play them
    2. Minions - will be starting up piggy and croc lists in 2012
    3. Skorne - the faction I was going to pick up if Minions weren't so ridiculously goodlooking
    4. Circle - the faction I may eventually pick up when/if I have collected all the released models for the previous three I'm interested in
    5. Legion - the faction I will never pick up barring a massive wave of resculpts I find more palatable
    Warmachine/Hordes-related blogs, podcasts, websites and forums

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    My Fenris appears as a stomping, flaming horse that upon being slain, transforms into a doom reaver. It's like Swan Lake, but with Fellblades!

Quote Originally Posted by Blockbuster View Post
    1) Legion
    2) Trolls
    3) Circle
    4) Skorne
    I concur.

10char
    Those smote by Mulg the Ancient: Stryker1, Stryker2, Constance Blaize, Nemo2, Kreoss1, Amon, Karchev, Skarre1, Goreshade2, Venethrax, Vyros1, Ravyn, Magnus1, Madrak1, Jarl, Kruger1, Kruger2, Grayle, Morghoul1, Mordikar, Makeda2, Rhyas, Thagrosh1, Lylth1, Vayl2, Absylonia2, Arkadius, Barnabas, Rask

I see a lot of people rating circle above Skorne. However, what limited tournament results I have seen show skorne typically among the winners, often along with Legion and Cryx. I'm really not sure I've seen a single Circle tournament winner?

Quote Originally Posted by KhisanthMagus View Post
    I see a lot of people rating circle above Skorne. However, what limited tournament results I have seen show skorne typically among the winners, often along with Legion and Cryx. I'm really not sure I've seen a single Circle tournament winner?
    Will Pagani won Lock n Load with Circle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast