Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: War Room App

Default War Room App

http://privateerpress.com/warroom

This app looks really cool and useful. I can't wait for it to come out. It looks like the app is going to be free but purchasing the decks will be $6.99 each?
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    While the void seer did not leave any detailed notes on whatever horrors he inflicted on that creature to create Despoiler, I can confirm he started with a different species than the Rhinodon, albeit one that is likely related. We certainly haven't seen the full extent of the creatures the skorne capture and enslave.

They better remove the "Army Builder" section name or they're going to get a nasty lawsuit.

Legal problems aside, this seems like a really cool, progressive step for PP.

EDIT: Darned forum filters it should read 4rmy Bu1lder.
    Last edited by GreenJello; 02-03-2012 at 08:39 AM.

As long as they continue to support it, it should be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_DC View Post
    Mercenaries and Minions are the Shrodinger's cat of factionality.

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum - He who wishes for peace, let him prepare for war."

Yeah, it looks pretty slick but that seems pretty expensive for a virtual deck.

I hope it gets approved on the Kindle Fire, that thing has been coming to every game with me lately.
    My nerd-fu is strong.

Looks really nice. $7 for permanent faction unlock isn't too bad. A little steep, but probably worth it overall.

Should go great on my iPod Touch. And since almost everyone now has such or a smartphone with iOS or Android, maybe I'll make it mandatory...
    We are all legends. Our only choice is how to end the tale...

Quote Originally Posted by Gr33nJ3llo View Post
    They better remove the "Army Builder" section name or they're going to get a nasty lawsuit.
    Why would that be? I assume the iBodger developer had licensing arrangements with PP to be able to distribute PP's IP. He seemed like a really laid back person who just wanted to help out the community to provide an army builder.

For all we know he helped provide some of the initial army builder code. That kind of work with Tier creation and an army builder rule set does take time to get right.

Now we just need power strips and extension cords to keep our phones charging all day at events. =)

I hope they release a laptop version ... I don't have an iPhone or Android.

Judge

The question I have is if I'm playing against someone who is playing a faction for which I don't own the virtual cards, can I see their rules? It seems like I should be able to, but it isn't stated.

Quote Originally Posted by clawtooth View Post
    I hope they release a laptop version ... I don't have an iPhone or Android.
    I can't vouch for anything beyond this link, but I did a quick Google search. This popped up: http://bluestacks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by niceas View Post
    The question I have is if I'm playing against someone who is playing a faction for which I don't own the virtual cards, can I see their rules? It seems like I should be able to, but it isn't stated.
    I would assume the $7 purchase simply grants you a license to access the cards, but all the card data is installed regardless. Syncing up in a game probably grants a temporary license so you can see cards you normally don't have access to. My greater question is whether or not I'll have to buy Merc/Minions just to get access to cards available normally in my faction.

They can just show you?

That is one downsides to a fully integrated app like War Room. You will need to make some compromises in regards to convenience.

Probably not, but your opponent has his PHYSICAL cards for that.
    Shortest story ever told: "For sale. Baby shoes. Never Worn."

In-Game Status Tracking: In-game damage and status tracking will give players immediate and easily accessible information on every fighting model in their command.
    If this means I can pay for virtual faction decks and keep track of damage within the app then I'm definitely buying it. My iPad has become an indispensable resource for every tabletop game I play and I personally can't wait for this app.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarSol View Post
    I would assume the $7 purchase simply grants you a license to access the cards, but all the card data is installed regardless. Syncing up in a game probably grants a temporary license so you can see cards you normally don't have access to. My greater question is whether or not I'll have to buy Merc/Minions just to get access to cards available normally in my faction.
    Having all the card installed at once would take up a large amount of space on the device. There are somewhere around 500 models (probably low balling it). Some with 3 cards. If you want a clear picture for tablets you'll want HD quality pictures.

I suspect that the image sources will be quite large. This point is of course moot if they developed the app in such a way that the card is dynamically built within the app for each model.

I for one am totally excited for this product. I've only been playing for a year and having rules at my fingertips is just awesome. i've always hated buying the faction decks and not having all the cards. in addition as they roll out new models I assume we will have access to those models/cards. Great way to play test/proxy before buying the model. I congratulate PP on being a pioneer with electronic rules.

Conqueror

So the app looks awesome, and being able to share my army with my opponent's copy is sweet, but I have a question.

I have the Menoth deck purchased on my phone, and he has the Khador one on his phone. If I share my Menoth list with him for a game, will he be able to see my model stats on his phone?

Destroyer of Worlds Writer@Large's Avatar

Holy moley, this is exactly the kind of app I've been dreaming that PP would release. One-tap rule lookup, full stat cards, even in-game tracking? Yes, please!

I only have one very big worry about the app: that it does not download card data, etc., but must pull it from the cloud / stream the data as you access. In other words, if the app needs a constant, active data stream in order to be functional.

This would be bad for MANY reasons, such as (1) people with WiFi only devices (iPod Touches, iPad [non-3G models], Galaxy Player, etc.), who thus couldn't use the app; and (2) active data connections drain battery life, and so phones couldn't be put in airplane mode (or just not be constantly data streaming).

So long as PP doesn't make this mistake, I'm all in. $6.99 per faction unlock seems reasonable to me.

Also: some of those screenshots looked like tablet-sized screens. Yay! I would definitely want to see one optimized for 7" and 10" screens.
    MASSIVELY PORTABLE: The podcast about pocket-sized MMORPGs

My app reviews and commentary @ App Chronicles

Destroyer of Worlds

Is it 7 bucks for ALL the cards? Or 7 bucks per faction?

Because if I have to shell out 70 bucks for an app, I'm going to be pissed.
    R.I.P. Greedo1379 (1980-2006)

I think it's $7 per faction.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkenTyre View Post

Full faction decks for both WARMACHINE and HORDES will be available as additional downloads for $6.99. Every deck will include all currently released stat cards for that faction as well as new model updates for the life of the current rules set.
    I am assuming they will have some discounts going on every once in a while. Buy all the WM faction decks for $X. It can happen a lot in the App world.

You have to understand that this kind of App develop cost them quite a pretty penny to release. With the art assets, the army builder, and the card integration, its a complicated app.

They need to recoup their costs somehow, as they are a business looking to continue to make money.
    Last edited by Apollo; 02-03-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oden View Post
    Now we just need power strips and extension cords to keep our phones charging all day at events. =)
    Power bags! http://www.mypowerbag.com
    Shred the Gnar(ls)!

Quote Originally Posted by ArkenTyre View Post

You don't have to do anything, it's just an option if you want to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by joelker41 View Post
    If we're all wrong about every bad piece than what is the point of having a forum when groupthink is planned on and assumed?
    I mean geez....

Quote Originally Posted by whitekong View Post
    You don't have to do anything, it's just an option if you want to use it.
    That's how I see it. I play multiple factions, but I'd probably not invest in all of them at first. But if I'm taking an army to a tournament, I'd invest $7 in that army. And maybe six months later I'm playing something else, I'd invest $7 then. Eventually, I'd build up a collection, and in the meantime be happy to play w/physical cards for weekly game nights.

When is this out. This will finally force me to get an Iphone, just when I got a new phone a few months ago. >.>

Destroyer of Worlds 2LiveIs2Die's Avatar

I think its 7 per deck, and im not going to even consider buying it if thats true.

Destroyer of Worlds captainspud's Avatar

Question from someone who doesn't currently own a fancy cell phone: would an iPod (not an iPhone) be able to run this and use the communication aspects to share lists? Or are they siloed without an ability to "talk" to other devices?

Because this thing is awesome and might finally make me get an iTouch as long as I don't need to pay for cell phone service to use it.
    The ignorant must be beaten with the Mallet of Wisdom until their heads are swollen and inflamed with knowledge.
    Check out my new blog, Captain Spud Is Amazing, where I post things on the schedule of "Whenever something's finished."
    My Painting/Conversion Thread | Full Privateer Release Schedule

Conqueror

Quote Originally Posted by captainspud View Post
    Question from someone who doesn't currently own a fancy cell phone: would an iPod (not an iPhone) be able to run this and use the communication aspects to share lists? Or are they siloed without an ability to "talk" to other devices?

Because this thing is awesome and might finally make me get an iTouch as long as I don't need to pay for cell phone service to use it.
    Since it's webbased I think the ipod touch would just have to be connected to wifi and it should be be fine

Conqueror

I wonder if the rules portion of it is free, or if you have to buy that as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Why would that be? I assume the iBodger developer had licensing arrangements with PP to be able to distribute PP's IP. He seemed like a really laid back person who just wanted to help out the community to provide an army builder.

For all we know he helped provide some of the initial army builder code. That kind of work with Tier creation and an army builder rule set does take time to get right.
    Darned forum filters that should read 4rmy Bu1lder

Quote Originally Posted by captainspud View Post

They have three avenues:

They can use bluetooth to talk to the other devices. On the iPhone, there is GameKit which assists in creating multiplayer game communications.

There is Ad Hoc Wi-Fi. This is a little more complicated on the iPhone since you need to program the connection between both devices. There is not very much connection assistance for WiFi.

There is internet sharing. They could have a central server that handles the overall connection. You communicate with the internet server and then it forwards it to you opponent.

They need to recoup their costs somehow, as they are a business looking to continue to make money.
    It's also a cheaper, future proof version of the faction decks. Since it sounds like the app is designed to outright replace your cards, its competing with things like the faction decks. If they really do it right, it might even mean errata and such can be updated in the cards on the app, which would be a pretty major innovation really.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothgar View Post
    I wonder if the rules portion of it is free, or if you have to buy that as well?
    It states you need to purchase the cards for individual model cards. It seems that they will have rule references similar to iBodger built into the free app.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr33nJ3llo View Post
    Darned forum filters that should read 4rmy Bu1lder
    Hopefully they'll update the filter now, so 4rmy Bu1lder maps to War Room instead of iBodger.

Quote Originally Posted by Sul-Menite View Post
    Since it's webbased I think the ipod touch would just have to be connected to wifi and it should be be fine
    Did I miss something in the video (no audio) that says the app is web based. I think this is a on device app. It looks like its not a "native" app, and probably uses something like the Unity engine to allow development over multiple platforms/devices.

Given that I love iBodger, I doubt I want to get this app. IMO, they should have bought iBodger from their fan and updated/used it.

But we will see. I will give it a trial.

My buddy with an iPad will likely love it.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    ....... Because new model types are released does not impel you to buy or field them. You may have to adapt and learn their capabilities if your opponent does.

Conqueror

Did I miss something in the video (no audio) that says the app is web based. I think this is a on device app. It looks like its not a "native" app, and probably uses something like the Unity engine to allow development over multiple platforms/devices.
    By web-based I meant a lot of the information (faction decks etc) are stored on a cloud so you need to be connected to the internet to get it. Sorry if that was unclear

In app purchases are a giant rip off. I'm sick of the trend going towards this for all apps. It's just being greedy. I would happily pay $15-$20 for this app, but think at $7 per faction.......that is a rip off.

Destroyer of Worlds Wintersmith's Avatar

You'll still need to bring the physical cards to a game (per the rules in the rulebook).

Quote Originally Posted by Vail_Nocturne View Post
    Given that I love iBodger, I doubt I want to get this app. IMO, they should have bought iBodger from their fan and updated/used it.

But we will see. I will give it a trial.

My buddy with an iPad will likely love it.
    Probably they shouldn't. Fan creations are great but it can set a bad precedent for a company to start purchasing fan creations. Besides, depending on who they went with they may have gotten guarantees about database uptime, throughput, etc. Something an individual would not be able to guarantee.
    Last edited by Wintersmith; 02-03-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    "I ask you, do we permit our great people to fade into history? Do we? Or do we rattle the sword and shield, draw the bow, and make such a clamor as to be remembered for all time!" -The Consul Caelcyr Nyarr, speaking before the assembly of the Consulate Court, 605 AR
    If your strategy relies on two 50/50 chances both succeeding you're going to fail three quarters of the time.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast