So, I just attended Templecon, Team Rebel Alliance didn't have the strongest tourney showing in the team tournament, but that didn't stop me from going 4-0 before we dropped. 3 of the 4 rounds were won thanks to Epic Madrak. Though there is a guide already on Epic Madrak, I play mine a little different and would like to give some incite into what I think is an extremely competitive and down right scary caster.
So without further wait
VASH1318'S EPIC MADRAK GUIDE TO MADRAKING!!!!
So Epic Madrak, what's he good at? lets take a look at the old
One of our more solid stated casters he comes in with the fastest speed trolls have on foot, as well as the highest mat in our faction. His Rat is also nothing to joke about being the same as our fell callers, and we will make use of this rat but that's for latter conversation . He has the Defense of most heavy armor casters, same as borka. Finally his fury is the same as his old self and though low, I have found that I never need more fury on him.
So what do we actually get from this line of numbers, well, to start he is a finely tuned killing machine, a bolstered mat and solid speed means he can move in and kill if he needs to, he has a solid chance of hitting and getting caster kills, though I find most of the time I end up simply killing infantry with him that the rest of my army might have trouble with.
Feat: Desperate Hour- Yo, its a thresher, except not a thresher, every homie in his control area (this means in faction for those who don't speak jive), counting the Madraker himself, makes an attack against every non bro in their melee range. Its a non simultaneous smart thresher, and all the models who participate still get a full activation, further more, it doesn't leave your ranged buddies out, they get to make a single shot ignoring ROF.
This feat is simply amazing, there are countless ways you can use it and rather get really lengthy with it in descriptions im gonna make a list right down here so you can get the gist
- Feat before any of your models activate: get charged last turn, still engaged from a previous turn, burrowers pop up in a unit (YES THAT IS A GOOD IDEA WITH THIS GUY) pop the feat, and watch enemies drop. This is great for clearing out jammers opponents assumed would keep you tied up, let me phrase that more obviously, Feat that uses the art of Madraking > Stupid Jammers
- EVERYBODY, SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS SHOTS. Bombers, Impalers, Pyers, slags, burrowers, scouts, scattergunners, MADRAK HIMSELF!! can all shoot again... or shoot for the first time, HOW COOL!!!!
- I wish that charge did more; well it can good consumer, for the price of one simple feat, those units that your army charged this turn can be finished off in one last hoorah and your units begin to make giant swings through anything they were still engaged with
- AHHH JUST ONE MORE ATTACK, that caster kill fail, Madrak or your anything have them dead to rights but they have one health left or made that last tough roll.... FEAT!! oh and Madrak can still boost his stuff during his feat as it is in his activation.
- Ever run into a unit, you just had no choice, they needed to be engaged, scenario had to be contested, I bet you wish you could attack too... if only there was a way....
- Acrobatic guys run into combat with Maddy, trying to lock you down so the rest of the army can position better on you with your jammed caster.... clear those cartwheeling sissys out... btw, enjoy all that fury you now have
- Combined with tide of death and Rathrok's awakening you can charge some group of shmoes near their caster and daisy chain your way their with all the fury you made from that first swath.
- Yes, double tap ranged assassinations are viable with mah boy, two shots, that can be a mighty hurtful with the mauler animus (his ax is thrown, read on buddy) you can miss one and hope for a second, hit both, try for that crit grevious, this doesn't work on the big boys, but many squishies have died to this.
- Due to a new ruling Epic Maddy can drop fury up to the amount he killed in his attack and move that many inches. In basic terms, kill 4 in one swing under his feat, drop 4 fury move 4" once swing is done. This is simply brutal. He is even better now if that can be imagined. If you can find a little clump near a caster, you can get to the caster.
And there are much more, in fact, how bout for fun, post em up here, this thread amply should be how to play this guy the way I think he was meant to be played, questions you ask on how to do that, and finally, a giant list of wonderful uses for this fantastic feat XD.
Tough: Well... there isn't much to say here, our trolls have it, if you are making use of it on this guy it might already be over, but I can't say I'm unhappy for it to be on him.
Grim Salvation: A serious ability, in short when E maddy takes damage, any troll with in an inch MUST bite the bullet. This is big my trolls, why does it matter if a caster has more fury if he can cast all his spells, transfers, grim salvation essentially is a transfer to some poor unlucky troll. This means that Madrak can be in the thick of it, and very close to the rear line of his army if he isn't inside the rear line, he is hard to kill because they will either waste attacks killing the infantry around him, which is hard with tough after all, or they will just go at him and watch good damage rolls be thrown away as your drop some cheap trooper. On the flip side we are a faction full of rear line support solo's, keep them away from this guy, he does not discriminate, a trollkin is a trollkin and if they are within an inch they will be killed.
Tide of Death: Mini goad, kill a foe, drop a fury, move an inch. Pretty solid. This was ruled on recently (4/28), if you kill multiple things on his feat, you can drop multiple fury after, equal to what you killed to move that many inches.
Thrown Rathrok: Yea, he throws it, its got a solid range of our bomber, it can hit ghosts, include a sweet crit to ignore tough and transfers, and the ability...
--Rathrok's Awakening: This is pretty solid, like soul collecting but better, models killed by the axe are turned into delicious fury for Maddy to use. This isn't something you will use every turn, and sometimes it may not occur in a game, but there are some wonderful times when it comes in handy or can be made use of.
Im not gonna beat around the bush, this thing is sweet, its thrown so it has the same P+S as when used in Melee... which means you can rage it, if need be. It can only be used once per turn, normally, I mentioned a second throw by use of feat. It is great for killing solo's and UA's while remaining in safty, and in a desprate, or oportune time, it is fully capable of a caster kill, and I have done it.
Rathrok: Everything in the above, minus the range, but with reach, yea, he has reach, thats an 11 inch threat with no buffs and not including uses or tide of death.