Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Captain Farilor & Standard - models are posted.

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gal...ss-legionnaire

Been waiting a while to see these guys. And in all honesty, I am a little disappointed with Farilor. His artwork was damn near epic. The standard bearer looks great. I am still very excited for these guys, and can't wait to field them.
    Embrace the Power of a Dragon!
    Consume the Iron Kingdoms for the Glory of Everblight!

Personally I hated Farilor's artwork. He looks too human. His model looks a bit more Nyss, but... I don't like the pose. He looks constipated.

Actually, overall I just don't like Farilor. I don't like his art, I don't like his mini, and I don't like his rules.

I do agree the standard looks very cool, though. Maybe it's just a matter of lopping Farilor's head off and giving him a helmet.
    "If at first you don't succeed, label it version 1.0."

What? thats crazy lanz, I love the model and I love his rules!

So excited for this model to come out.

PG for the Sentry Box - Calgary, AB
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghool View Post
    I still stand by my statement, "I don't hate Legion, I hate Vynde."

I really like Farilor, I like his art, I like his mini, and I like his rules.

Painted: Trollbloods: 149/170, Mercs: 51/104, Minions: 8/18

Every thing is sweet about this.... except his one large horn and one little nub.

The Banner is sweeeeet looking and appears to be a bladed pole arm.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    ....... Because new model types are released does not impel you to buy or field them. You may have to adapt and learn their capabilities if your opponent does.

Meh, I kinda agree with lanz, they are meant to be a cheap unit...adding a 3 point character unit attachment kinda defeats the purpose

Currently playing: Khador
    Factions own: Legion, Cryx, Minions(Pigs), Convergence of Cyriss, Khador, RoS
    Factions owned: Menoth, Skorne, Trolls, Cygnar, Circle

Destroyer of Worlds

holy cow a 23 dollar blister.

and worse, a 23 dollar blister I know I'm going to buy
    Factions: Legion, Skorne, Khador

I don't like his artwork because he looks too human. He doesn't look like a Nyss, and otherwise he just looks boring.

I don't like his sculpt because, like I said, he looks constipated. The expression combined with the pose is not very attractive. At best he looks like he's throwing a tantrum or pretending to be a dragonball character.

I don't like his rules because for 7-9 points, they're just lame Flameguard. As a base unit, Legionaires are awesome and pack a lot of cool rules for their points. Farilor just bloats the unit and while he isn't bad, I don't think he's worth taking either.

Quote Originally Posted by vengence88 View Post
    Meh, I kinda agree with lanz, they are meant to be a cheap unit...adding a 3 point character unit attachment kinda defeats the purpose
    Legions seems to have a trend where we do not get "Joe", we get a sweet named character who is part of the Unit and we pay for it. Bayal is the other example.

Off hand, i cannot think of other armies that have Named UA's like that.

....... Because new model types are released does not impel you to buy or field them. You may have to adapt and learn their capabilities if your opponent does.

Quote Originally Posted by Vail_Nocturne View Post
    Legions seems to have a trend where we do not get "Joe", we get a sweet named character who is part of the Unit and we pay for it. Bayal is the other example.

Off hand, i cannot think of other armies that have Named UA's like that.
    Bayal is different. Bayal is actually cool.

Meh.

I thought the artwork gave him this air of superiority, of a sort of stoicness that one would expect in a leader of the Legionnaires.
    Now the model? As far as I'm concerned, he went from stoic leader to: "Hey guys, watch me jump this picket fence!"

Not that keen on picking him up anyways, but I'm glad to see some other people like him.
    Rejoice: For bad things are about to happen.

And yes, that is the flying monkey that stole your avatar.

I'll be doing a head swap on farilor and probably cut his left arm to have it out in front of him with the palm up. Otherwise I'm a fan. Being a completionist, I will be buying him, however I am not too sure how much play he will see from me any time soon.

Destroyer of Worlds ICleadpeople's Avatar

He went from being Vigo the Carpathian from Ghostbusters 2 to being Count Chocula. Worse than that, I will still buy him.

Destroyer of Worlds Defenstrator's Avatar

I like the standard, Farilor not so much. Like others I liked the arrogant stance in the art work, while this guy is crouching in a way I can only describe as unnatural. When people crouch their arms instinctively move forward to act as counterbalance. This guy is crouching and has his arms behind him. He looks like he's going to fall over backwards.

I don't mind the rules. I do agree that a 3 point UA defeats the point of a cheap unit, but on the other hand I already take 3 point UA in the form of the Spawning Vessel. So one recycles the relatively easy to kill Legionnaires into lesser warbeasts, while the other brings a bit more hitting power and a lot more durability. And even then we have a third 3 point option with the Gator Shaman giving Tough and Undead.

I really can't say any one option is better than the other. They all feel like lateral power shifts, which is good. They're balanced with no obviously superior choice and you take what you feel suits the list best.
    Quote Originally Posted by John of Arc View Post
    Who hates Steelheads? That's like saying "Man, screw bread. Bread can go die."
    Our Warmachine and Hordes Blog.

Destroyer of Worlds Northern Ronin's Avatar

I really like this one, and given I was already taking this guy in a ton of lists, it's a good thing too. As far as the pose, I see him in mid combat, coming up for a reverse swing, as opposed to his out of battle gaze his art shows. Good for two reasons; A: I was worried he'd be doing the Slaughterborn, and lord knows we don't need more of that pose, B: It shows blighted Nyss do show emotion, even if it's just screaming while murdering you. And I really like that overdone banner, I was rather jealous of the Bane standard, and now I get to lead my troops around a spiked death banner.

Awful. This pose is just not satisfactory. He just reminds me far too much of goku...
    Shred the Gnar(ls)!

Quote Originally Posted by Lanz View Post
    I don't like his artwork because he looks too human. He doesn't look like a Nyss, and otherwise he just looks boring.

I don't like his sculpt because, like I said, he looks constipated. The expression combined with the pose is not very attractive. At best he looks like he's throwing a tantrum or pretending to be a dragonball character.
    I actually loved his art in Domination, it's the one thing that got me really excited for the release. I do see your point about the human aspect though. Wasn't too excited for the Standard Bearer, but that one really came through with shining colors. I was worried the whole flowing-banner-of-cloth thing wouldn't match the rest of the army, but the spine-to-banner ratio is spot on leaving it sufficiently spiky for my taste!

I do think something is... off with the pose. When I see his stance the first thing I think is "Grotesque". He probably spent too much time with the kids down the street, and his respectable Legionaire posture has clearly suffered.
    GATORBLIGHT
    A 30mm is no place for a Warlock

I play at Ravenblood Games in Plainview, NY.

Ah man! I was hoping that he would look like his awesome artwork. Same pose an everything. Suck. Now I'm hoping this is just another example of choosing the wrong camera angle or something. Does his horn even stick out?

Its not enough to make me not get him though. He's great for my legionnaires.
    50 pts Tier 4 Ravens of War - 32 pts remaining
    50 pts Tier 4 Black Magic - 30 pts + B&B remaining
    35 pts Tier 4 Rearguard - 8 pts remaining

it looks like his horn curves along his hair. Which means it'll be hard to cut off.

I think what I'm going to do if I get him is snip down the horn and shave the face flat then sculpt a war mask on him sorta like what Bayal has. I don't mind his hair, I just want to cover his face. Won't save the pose, but it might improve a bit.

Just put a helmet on him.

What with all the "takes a cheap unit and makes it expensive" griping? So what? 9 points isn't THAT expensive. Its not 11 points and it is awesome. heir job goes from being cheap guys that get in the way and die, to medium cost guys that get in the way and live, and actually pose a threat so the opponnet has to deal with them. SOLD!

Nuala in Circle, Skaldi Bonehammer in Trolls, and Tyrant Vorkesh in Skorne.

I think PP learned that non-attachment characters that overcharged units were too good (Tartarus and Joe for example). While the new character UAs aren't as awesome as the older character solos, they are still pretty good.

Destroyer of Worlds

I love that I can now field a unit of cheap legionnaires, and then a unit of super hardy legionnaires that costs more. I would love to see a non-character UA for them eventually as well, one that just adds the ability to CMA during vengeance attacks or something simple like that.
    Factions: Legion, Skorne, Khador

Destroyer of Worlds

Rules> Model on this one. I've been really excited to try this guy out with Kallus. But I wonder if hes TOO good at making legionnaires survivable, and thus defeats the purpose of a caster who makes you pay for killing models.

I like the models, and I like how the rules change the role of the unit.

Want a cheap fodder unit? take basic legionnaires. Want a resilient unit to jam and hold part of the table? Add Farilor. I think it's a cool design idea.

If I played legion i'd be picking up the full unit definitely.

That's why you mini-feat before or after the turn you use Kallus's Feat. Two turns of hard to kill unit, unless you run into snipers/anatomical precision, then you just cry haha.

He is definitely getting a helmet.

I'm with Lanz: captain farlior looks constipated, and maybe just trying to pull a face to scare people.

He doesn't overcost Legionnaires if you take them with the intention of getting them to do stuff other than standing around like a gaggle of iron turkeys and dying. They can do more than be cheap and throwaway if you let them, granted its harder to make them work than other legion units.
    Set defense and iron zeal both make this tarpit unit amazing, as does -5 RNG to enemy spells. Caliban/denny will have to work harder to get parasite in on them, and rahn can't be a kitty and hang half a mile back with chain blast and TK.

at 9 points they are competing with the Throne, Gatorman Posse and Striders, though.

at 4-6 points, they're super-awesome with all the tools they need to be a a tarpit.

Annihilator

i might swap the arms, thats the only thing can think of or even just spin the sword arm so the point is resting on the ground.

at 9 points they are competing with the Throne, Gatorman Posse and Striders, though.

at 4-6 points, they're super-awesome with all the tools they need to be a a tarpit.
    you have to both own a throne for them to compete with, unlike gators they are legion models. as for striders it depends on what your army needs they serve vastly different roles
    Last edited by yankeefan; 03-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Menoth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantes View Post
    Even the cover art is OP!
    The Chimera doesn't really count as a dragon anymore. No one talks to it and it has no friends.

I think the model looks great, he looks so effing mad, the issue I have is the color scheme of legion, I personally dislike the hair, just doesnt look good on the model, not quite sure why they would sculpt him holding his sword in that manner either, considering all of the legionnaires hold their's with both hands and are showing some sort of striking motion, they are very stoic poses. However the rest of the sculpt looks great imo, he's got this look like come get some mf'ers, which I love. Definitly looks like the down syndrome cast away of the bfs Ohh and by the way, standard bearer = win.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeefan View Post
    you have to both own a throne for them to compete with, unlike gators they are legion models. as for striders it depends on what your army needs they serve vastly different roles
    I do own a throne. As far as I know, most do or plan to. Compared to striders, I don't think the role really matters much. What is their role? Tarpit? We need tarpits? Since when? We're one of the swiftest factions, we've never depended on tarpits to get the job done with our beasts. Even still, a tarpit is just supposed to screen your essentials as they advance. At 9 points that's a lot for a screen. They don't need to be durable, they just need to get in the way. Striders can do this if that is what is needed, but they also fill a variety of other roles for the same points. Why take Legionaires + Farilor over Striders + UA? What does Farilor really offer that we actually care about?

The obvious difference is some of our newer casters who don't follow the usual legion approach. Casters like Kallus and Bethayne who are happy with more infantry, in which case a tarpit is doing more things than just screening beasts. That's all good and fine, but that's also the only time I could ever justify Farilor. Even in Bethayne's case, there's usually 50 points worth of stuff that prioritizes higher than Legionaires in many cases, so really it's just Kallus.

Is anyone even considering Farilor under anyone else? And any particular reason why them and not something else?

Was just thinking about the elite cadre thing eThagrosh has/had for legionnaires, and why not pThagrosh? FoW and deathshroud would make them harder to shoot, harder to melee, and very, very tough for what they are.
    Perhaps even the cooking pot in the same list. Basic legionnaires may die too quickly for the pot to efficiently cycle its corpse tokens. So some mega tough legionnaires can better survive to vengeance, and feed the bowl reliably as well.

Have to agree with Lanz, the "tarpit" isnt that necessary. In my last two games I've had striders do just that, fire for one turn then slam them into melee against dawnguard sentinels and eEiryss, and guess who won that battle, yah, the striders. However, the one caster I actually do want to try out other than Kallus is Rhyas, just to cast occultation, and see just how effective it is. Best way to find out how good they will be is to play games, I however think they will beat a lot of enemy infantry straight up with farilor, whereas before they would just simply take up space.

Sweet, finally get to see these guys! Totally stoked to get these and throw them down for 9 points of pain. You can totally go either cheap throw-away tarpit or uber-resilient problem, play as you chose. Having him as an option, much like Bayal (who i personally think is VERY counter to Hex Hunter's style), is yet another option in our match-up toolbox. They have deviated from the auto-include UAs that make a very 2D meta, preferring to simply mix it up with options. Rules-wise, Farilor will shake it up given the chance. Legion is slowly gaining the tools to tank a board (dont tell anyone! ;-)

Model-wise, I am quite sad the concept art apparently got lost in the sculpting room somewhere. Who knows, it could have been a practical/casting issue that made the final call. There are certainly elements I like and the overall sculpt is certainly not bad by any stretch of the imagination, simply feeling the knee-jerk response like most seem to be from it being so different from the art. Mods look easily done whether it be facemask, new pose, cloak re-do, or what have you. I do appreciate that he stands apart from the rest of the unit, making him very recognizable on the table from a glance.

Cheers to new models, PiP! Keep em coming :succubus:cough:cough:
    ^ Support awesome people ^ . . . . . . . .Thanks for reading! . . . . . . . . ^ Painted Dudemens ^

Quote Originally Posted by Necra-Chi View Post
    Just put a helmet on him.
    Remember when we all saw Kallus' artwork, and all of us thought "what an ugly head! Ill just replace it with Bayal's head" and then it turned out that you couldn't take his head off? I think that's going to be exactly like this. pp seems to be cracking down on conversions. You will build it as we envisioned it. Your way is wrong!

Wonder who insulted his mother. That pose just looks silly. Im contemplating buying the body of a Legionnaire and swapping the arms out or something. I really hate the horn growing out of his head.
    I feel the need to change my sig...I just don't know what to do with it yet....and suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Soul King View Post
    Remember when we all saw Kallus' artwork, and all of us thought "what an ugly head! Ill just replace it with Bayal's head" and then it turned out that you couldn't take his head off?
    If you have the tools, you too can take his head off like I can. The less pieces I have to glue, the better.
    Ranged will always be inferior to Melee in tabletop games.

Personally my experience of legionnaires is that they are crap at being a tarpit. They only ever feel worthwhile when they get a mat buff and actually kill something with vengeance attacks and normal activations. And they get recycled into a spawning vessel and alittle too quickly. Now I get a unit that doesn't just die, gets even better with an ARM buff or occultation, and I don't need a spawning vessel but if I do have one it is likely to be fed 3 tokens a turn instead of exceeding its allotment of 5 every turn. Most importantly he adds some real threat to the unit, with weaponmaster CMAs. Previously the only way you could make the opponnet have to deal with them, was to physically place them in the way of your more important models, because otherwise they could just be ignored. And they are too slow for that. Now they have to be dealt with, regardless of where you place them.

Legionnaires with Farilor easily replace striders with UA as my token infantry unit in any of my lists that will allow them. As awesome as striders with UA are, these will block more charges and kill more infantry than striders will.

Pity about the pose though. I thought the art would go well with the stoic and disciplined look of the Legionnaires. Now I'm going to have people yelling "THIS IS SPARTA" every time I put him on the table.

Meh, Legionnaires are only good for one thing.

Becoming Incubi.

Everblight 101: Repulse your way to victory.

They don't become incubi if they don't present any threat.

Well, it's less a matter of how much threat the present, so much as the threats they are screening.

Is anyone even considering Farilor under anyone else? And any particular reason why them and not something else?
    eThags. I don't think he's worth it at 35, but I can easily see myself throwing him in my 50 point list. Mini-feat + Draconic Blood, maybe even with a Witch Doctor, is one tough tarpit. Especially since DB and Tough both trigger.

Speaking of which, any word on the Witch Doctor model?
    GATORBLIGHT
    A 30mm is no place for a Warlock

I play at Ravenblood Games in Plainview, NY.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast