Default Illuminatus in the Iron Kingdoms

Hello

So I'm currently running a campaign in the Iron Kingdoms, currently using Pathfinder as the base, wanting to cross over to the new system when it comes out. I'm also going to a some point hand over the reigns for a module or so and play, hopefully as an Illuminated Wizard, out to deal with Cyrx and any infernalists. So I have a question or two.

A) Will there be a good pathway to transfer characters across?

B) Will it be easier or harder to create an Illuminated Mage?

A) The only real information we have on the new system is that it exists.
    B) The only real information we have on the new system is that it exists.

This comes with the big Caveat that there WILL be wizards, and in all likelyhood there WILL be Illuminated Ones in the new system. However, how they interact is pretty up in the air.

Sorry, if riding deer, tigers, bears and wolves is not silly,
    then it's about time we got our WARMARMOTS.
    IK Alphabets Guide
    Battle College

Eater of Brains

In response to question A:
    The new system will not be level-based. You pick an Archetype and 2 Careers for you character. As a spellcaster, your Archetype will need to be "Gifted."

With that above information, my best guess is the easiest way to do it (if you're looking to have your character at the same "level" as Pathfinder) will be to rebuild the character with the new system, following whatever advance rules they use, until you are of similar power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianide
    All hail Weaselcreature, Destroyer of Worlds! May he be swift as he exacts judgment upon us.

Do we know how far they're taking the career metaphor yet? There might fnord be some WFRP-ish advanced/prestige careers especially for Illuminated mages, there might be some feat equivalent or it might be purely background material.

And is anyone else disappointed fnord that this isn't about converting Wilson/Shea's Illuminatus trilogy to the Iron Kingdoms? (Or maybe it was, but the gnomes of Zurich changed the original post according to their plans *fnord*)
    Last edited by PPS_Simon; 03-02-2012 at 08:08 AM.

I'm curious if you are actually typing "fnord" or if someone put some really creative text filtering in place.

-Rick

(edit - OK, I looked it up, all this fnording makes more sense now)
    Last edited by ThatRickGuy; 03-02-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Gamehole Con - November 7th-9th - Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Defenstrator View Post
    Winterguard: For Sergie!

Eater of Brains

No idea how far they're taking it. All I know is from the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianide
    All hail Weaselcreature, Destroyer of Worlds! May he be swift as he exacts judgment upon us.

I have a hunch that it's less 'two careers' and more 'one defining career, one supplementing one'.

Arcane Mechanik: Primary: Mechanic. Secondary: Wizard.
    Gun Mage: Primary: Fighter (guns), secondary: wizard.
    Paladin: Primary: fighter, secondary: priest

and so on.

IK Alphabets Guide
    Battle College

Destroyer of Worlds The Happy Anarchist's Avatar

Nope. They have said there is 22? Careers, and the examples were things like Knights, warcaster and bodgers. More specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsquid View Post
    I also employ a "Darkwing Duck" philosophy, when the game starts going against me...it's time to get Dangerous...
    Quote Originally Posted by Impostor View Post
    And then, Grim Angus said "Trollbloods shall be the one true people entitled to Tough."

Annihilator

Herr Simon is on record as saying 'more than 25'...though we may not see all of those in the first book I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Anarchist View Post
    Nope. They have said there is 22? Careers, and the examples were things like Knights, warcaster and bodgers. More specific.
    Right. But how those 25+ interact is what I was getting at. Totally unfounded, but it's all speculation at this point.

IK Alphabets Guide
    Battle College

Annihilator

St Jason: "...but it's all speculation at this point. "

That's why you have to buy the March issue of No Quarter Sneaky little pocke****ches!

Seeing as how it is not a level based system, it is likely a skill based progression system.

To get new skills or to improve existing skills, you need to invest in them, typically through some form of experience points.

Careers are with all likelihood going to enable you to take some skills that would otherwise be unavailable, and to gain and increase some skills for a smaller investment.

If that is the case, there won't likely be a need for a primary vs secondary career.

-Rick

Gamehole Con - November 7th-9th - Madison, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Defenstrator View Post
    Winterguard: For Sergie!

Quote Originally Posted by StJason View Post
    Right. But how those 25+ interact is what I was getting at. Totally unfounded, but it's all speculation at this point.
    Oh, I see. Like with Friar Tuck you may have Priest as the primary, Highwayman as the secondary or vice versa and it would have a different influence on the character. Is that kind of what you were getting at?
    I also employ a "Darkwing Duck" philosophy, when the game starts going against me...it's time to get Dangerous...
    And then, Grim Angus said "Trollbloods shall be the one true people entitled to Tough."

Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Anarchist View Post
    Oh, I see. Like with Friar Tuck you may have Priest as the primary, Highwayman as the secondary or vice versa and it would have a different influence on the character. Is that kind of what you were getting at?
    Exactly. That gives some really interesting possibilities for character creation (ie, Priest/Highwayman is fundamentally different then Highwayman/Priest. You could have both in the party and have very little overlap in ability...),

That is what I hope. I think that it's more likely to be a more D20 Modern style where after a while the second class kicks in. But I hope for the former.

IK Alphabets Guide
    Battle College

Annihilator

Quote Originally Posted by StJason View Post
    Exactly. That gives some really interesting possibilities for character creation (ie, Priest/Highwayman is fundamentally different then Highwayman/Priest. You could have both in the party and have very little overlap in ability...),

That is what I hope. I think that it's more likely to be a more D20 Modern style where after a while the second class kicks in. But I hope for the former.
    I second that.

Thirded. I hope you can start with or get the second career early on.

Marketing Coordinator PPS_Simon's Avatar

You start with both Careers at creation, but neither has a mechanical priority over the other, that thematic choice is left to the player.
    http://files.privateerpress.com/forum_images//2014_LockNLoad_MercsBanner.jpg

Can you give us a bit more detail (I know, rules and prerelease), just to give us a better idea of what is going on?

IK Alphabets Guide
    Battle College

I bet he can't. Or won't. However, I bet we see a bit more between NQ and worst case scenarios Gencon wait. Man I seriously cannot wait that long, so I hope there is some good spoileriffic stuff coming!

I imagine that, given our example - Highwayman Priest or Priest Highwayman, the rules are the same either way. You can choose to focus more of your skills or attributes or just character development on either part at any given time, it is up to you to differentiate whether your Friar Tuck is a Highwayman who happens to be a Priest, or a Priest who happens to be a Highwayman.