Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte Athos View Post
    Just looking at the size comparison, I'm going to laugh if my Gorax can Arm Lock on of these things.

More likely, doing something to his leg that is just as annoying...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovnik Tsumi View Post
    Dammit, Magnus. Why couldn't you have let me have this one joke!
    Proud member of the Keeping Mercs Metal Club

While I'm undecided on whether I'm going to spend the coin to buy this, one thing needs to be said. Cheers to Privateer Press for the beautiful Cygnar model.

Personal opinion: This is the best model I've seen from Privateer Press.

The Stormwall looks great, the price point is a bit high but the rules will determine whether or not I buy the Menoth and or Ret one.

Quote Originally Posted by jdelrio22 View Post
    Can the stormwall do a power attack kick?
    There's supposed to be two new power attacks. One of which is a thresher, and the other a slam. Could very well be Power Attack Punt!

It is pretty much the same as a kick. They can slam things without having to move themselves.
    50 pts Tier 4 Ravens of War - 32 pts remaining
    50 pts Tier 4 Black Magic - 30 pts + B&B remaining
    35 pts Tier 4 Rearguard - 8 pts remaining

Destroyer of Worlds bouncymischa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burninated View Post
    Edit: another thought is that it feels a bit too modern for the Steam-Powered fantasy warfare thing.
    Well, it is the second most technologically sophisticated one. The Retribution one will probably look even more sci-fi, but I wouldn't be surprised if the others looked more steampunk-ish.

Looking at the picture comparing it to an Ol' Rowdy, I'm amused to see that they've finally made warjack legs that are in good proportion to its body. :P
    My Cleansers have killed: 2 Combine members, Finn, pNemo, Sentinel, Lord of the Feast, eMadrak, Mordikaar, pKreuger, Molik Karn, Calaban
    Lord Carver has successfully raided: Xerxis, Shae, Nemo
    2012 Cygnar Challenge! The sturdy grunts of the Irregular 11th versus the gleaming mechanika of the Flashing 1st!

Quote Originally Posted by bouncymischa View Post
    Well, it is the second most technologically sophisticated one. The Retribution one will probably look even more sci-fi, but I wouldn't be surprised if the others looked more steampunk-ish.
    Why would it be second most? Cygnar tech is more advanced then Ret tech. Ret tech looks fancier, but a lot of the ret advancements are from more magic, not more technology.

Then again, after a point I guess you can't really argue where the line is drawn where magic doesn't count as advanced technology.
    "If at first you don't succeed, label it version 1.0."

Destroyer of Worlds bouncymischa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lanz View Post
    Why would it be second most? Cygnar tech is more advanced then Ret tech. Ret tech looks fancier, but a lot of the ret advancements are from more magic, not more technology.

Then again, after a point I guess you can't really argue where the line is drawn where magic doesn't count as advanced technology.
    Well, okay, aesthetically? XD

It is rather difficult to peg just which parts of arcanika are magic and which parts are "technology so advanced it's indistinguishable from magic". But Retribution has a fairly strong "high-tech" aesthetic, so the Hyperion will probably at least look more advanced than the others.
    My Cleansers have killed: 2 Combine members, Finn, pNemo, Sentinel, Lord of the Feast, eMadrak, Mordikaar, pKreuger, Molik Karn, Calaban
    Lord Carver has successfully raided: Xerxis, Shae, Nemo
    2012 Cygnar Challenge! The sturdy grunts of the Irregular 11th versus the gleaming mechanika of the Flashing 1st!

Well, it's a fact that Cygnar has more advanced cortexes. That's why their 'jacks have higher MAT/RAT than others, except for Cryx, whose warjacks have more life-like animalistic reflexes and bloodthirstiness.

Though, yeah, Hyperion looks like something out of a sci-fi game, and Stormwall isn't far behind. Conquest looks like a big walking red tank, the Judicator looks like a walking temple, Kraken looks like a metal monster, and Galleon looks old and obsolete.

And in that, they are just like most of the rest of the 'jacks of their factions.

Galleon looks old and obsolete.
    Indeed, kind of an odd look for something that has only just been invented.

Considering all of the factions suddenly just decided to invent these things and build them all at the same time (kinda odd in itself) I don't see why Galleon should look that way.

Perhaps "old and obsolete" isn't the way we should look at it. Maybe "basic", "down to earth" or "form follows function" are things we should instead think of when looking at Galleon.

Or "cobbled together whatever they could to make a Collossal" would probably be more fitting.

Destroyer of Worlds Sideshow Lucifer's Avatar

Wow, I was not expecting this price-point at all. I will likely still own one at some point, but how soon will greatly depend on the rules released for them. 135 is a steep step for a single model that, if like the battle engines, turn out to be not worth playing in most games. I'm not sure what I'm hoping for balance wise. I can not see them getting a good balance where they will sell and be balanced. Guess I'll just watch awhile and see.

It actually has better cost per point than two battle engines though.

Given that Ret jacks have entropy engines, force fields, and the Daemon fires singularities at people, even if they literally had a wizard trapped inside each jack to do this, I would still say their jacks are more technologically advanced.

They've worked out how to get their magic to integrate into their jacks, rather than Circle, who have worked out how to get their sticks and stones to integrate into their magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
    Given that Ret jacks have entropy engines, force fields, and the Daemon fires singularities at people, even if they literally had a wizard trapped inside each jack to do this, I would still say their jacks are more technologically advanced.

They've worked out how to get their magic to integrate into their jacks, rather than Circle, who have worked out how to get their sticks and stones to integrate into their magic.
    And Cygnar has managed to create a device that generates localized earthquakes and can store it in a shell that can be fired from a cannon at high speeds and still produce its effect after impact.

They also have a warjack with rocket-boosters.

And the AI in their warjacks is superior.

Most of Ret's advanced stuff is just 'moar magic', but again, it's hard to argue that advanced magic can't be advanced technology.

And Cygnar has managed to create a device that generates localized earthquakes and can store it in a shell that can be fired from a cannon at high speeds and still produce its effect after impact.

They also have a warjack with rocket-boosters.

And the AI in their warjacks is superior.

Most of Ret's advanced stuff is just 'moar magic', but again, it's hard to argue that advanced magic can't be advanced technology.
    Quake shells sound less high-tech than

FLAMING SWORDS!

Sorry, the Menite in me.
    Felix
    ___
    My Miniatures Gaming Blog
    DR:70+S+G-MB-I+Pwmhd05#+D++A+++/aWD100R++T(S)DM+++

Destroyer of Worlds Mustakrakish's Avatar

Man, That thing looks sweet as hell. I want to own it because it looks amazing.

Destroyer of Worlds Octavius_Maximus's Avatar

So Day 1, Legendairy Nemo. day 2, Stormwall. Day 3, ?

I want Vlad!
    Looking forward to Epic Vlad on his Battle Cattle.

Destroyer of Worlds Mustakrakish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius_Maximus View Post
    So Day 1, Legendairy Nemo. day 2, Stormwall. Day 3, ?

I want Vlad!
    No. I have to work 16 hours tomorrow. I wont have the time or energy to sit and longingly stare at Vlad3 on a horse. No Vlad or Conquest tomorrow!

Destroyer of Worlds Sideshow Lucifer's Avatar

I'm thinking they decided to scrap the Skorne battle engine..lol

Destroyer of Worlds Octavius_Maximus's Avatar

Warmachine is better than Hordes, its official
    Looking forward to Epic Vlad on his Battle Cattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte Athos View Post
    My local LGS has not sold more then one BE, just because the price point makes it prohibitive to buy locally when you get it for 25%-30% off with an online retailer and free shipping. There is no reason to buy locally with a model this cost prohibitive.
    My LGS has sold 6 BEs to me alone (2 Storm Striders & 1 of each of the other Warmachine ones - I'll be buying the Hordes ones eventually too). Could I get them cheaper online? Maybe, maybe not. I don't really care, even if the savings are significant I'd still rather support my LGS where I play my games and meet new players. I'll be buying my colossals at my LGS too.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS_Dougseacat View Post
    The Casio calculator is far better at doing math than a warjack. The warjack is better at walking around, obeying orders, and murdering things with weapons.
    Cygnar: 500 points & 14 Warcasters painted / 634 points & 14 Warcasters total

Destroyer of Worlds

Ret is quite arbitrarily ( and all too generically ) "wurr elvs, so wurr moar advanced" which is... kind of a tired trope at this point. But hey, at least they're paying for it by suffering a race wide epidemic. They deserve it for their arrogance.

That being said I'd rather take any warjack over a Myrmidon. They're just too reliant on subsystems that are prone to being smashed.

I REALLY love the profile on Stormwall! I was expecting the guy to be another $25, so I'm counting this as a very good price.

Sorry to be a little negative here, but I got to get this out of the way.

My complaints on the model, arranged from objective to nitpick!
    -Cygnus isn't centered on the main plate above the head. I'm gonna have to file that down and freehand the cygnus or always notice and be bothered by this.
    -Fists aren't fists. They look like they're held really loosely. I wish they looked ready to throw a punch.
    -Behemoth-aimed guns. They look a lot better from the profile shots, but goofy from the front. I'll have to see them in person to figure out how I want them aimed.
    -unposable legs. The arms are SUPER-posable, love them; the legs are kind of stuck as "big guy trudging forward." They will work for the pose I have in mind, though, so I can't REALLY complain here.
    -I personally don't like the face. I might see if I can make the face look more Ironclad-ish or something.

All in all, though, the model is something I'm eager to work a day and a half to acquire. Share that thought with everyone at Privateer Press headquarters! I can't wait to start playing with the kit to get the pose I'm imaging worked into reality.

FETCH ME MY FIGHTING TROUSERS!
    Last edited by Creaux; 03-08-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Destroyer of Worlds Zenassassin's Avatar

I take it back. It officially fires "lawn darts"....good call. Lawn darts OF PAIN.
    I'd rather lose a fun battle than win a boring one. Copy this sig if you are on board with more fun and less drama at tournaments!

Quote Originally Posted by jdelrio22 View Post
    Can the stormwall do a power attack kick?

Maybe sends something flying 2d6?
    Yes, one of the two new Colossal power attacks is a slam from 0 inches away - and all of their slams go an extra 2 inches.

To be fair, that's just what the Cygnar R&D department are telling you to justify their budget. The Trolls have worked out how to do the same thing. It's called a really big shell.

The Minuteman is fair enough. I was hoping the Chimera could draw even with it's apparition, but that's a holo-field and not a teleporter. Still, I think it gets half marks for trying.

I think Cygnar's greatest achievement still has to be making metal rods that cause lightning to strike on clear, sunny days, and to still be able to convince people that they weren't making an attack. "Oh no, it wasn't me...you must have been unlucky!"

I hate those guys and their perfectly natural lightning.

people who compare it to GW pieces like titans, this model looks to be about 6" tall, a GW titan is usually 12" or more, is better detailed and has more options. but they are from forgeworld which is GWs "luxury" branch and not core models.
    Jaq Draco, Gunmage/Pistoleer - Inn of Odd Wanderings

In regards to buying on line vs at the LGS.

Most LGS will offer a discount if you order and pre-pay for large orders. When you buy on line you have to pre-pay so try it, the worst thing that can happen is for the LGS to say "No". If they do tell them you are going to buy one on-line but would prefer to buy it from them. A good business man will want to make 20% as opposed to 0%. On orders of that amount it will pay for the LGS to work with you.

Note - the write up says the Stormwall is 140 mm tall, 5 1/2"

Destroyer of Worlds The Captain's Avatar

I just shelled $135 for a Transformers collectible toy on eBay. And that one isn't going to do much but look badass on my shelf for the rest of its (or mine, whichever comes first) natural existence. Of course I'm going to get a Colossal for each of my factions for the same price if I can actually take it around to look badass on the gaming tables, too. Maybe I won't buy them immediately upon release, especially now that I'm a bit short of funds (rent was just raised, income was not), but 3*135 is something I can still conveniently afford over a realistic amount of time. 4*135 if I actually manage to get my Circle started some day...

Heck, I don't even play Cygnar and I want one of these to look badass on my shelf, too.
    It is a capital mistake to theorize before you have all the evidence. It biases the judgment. -Sherlock Holmes
    (Doyle, A. C. 1887: A Study in Scarlet)

Conqueror

I wonder if we'll see loads of unpainted $135 colossals. Does anyone know are these colossals going to be coming out before all the Wrath and Domination releases are out?

Conqueror

now... i am a retribution player... but cygnar WILL be my new army.. and everything including stormwall will be painted in Optimus prime colours ( i mean... come on he looks like prime !!! )

As for the price

/log in to ebay
    /put kidneys on sale

Profit and buy stormwall!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyzahn View Post
    You retribution folks are weird...

I don't care how much it costs. I don't care what the rules are. I'd take 2. It's beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownboot View Post
    Lets hope the "solos" are adding $40 to the price tag.... And I'd consider $100 high compared to the big mostly plastic kits we see from the competitor.
    Meh, landraider is $110, and it's only a large box with gun sponsons. Even the DreadKnight is $90, and look at the size difference:

I think after the solos, the others will probably cost $120 or so, though time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Lucifer View Post
    I'm thinking they decided to scrap the Skorne battle engine..lol
    Indeed, not even a pic yet.

Not to mention that Nemo3 and Stormwall being on the front page would seem to suggest a June release and that's the earliest that we could see the secondary Cygnar, Khador and Protectorate multi-jack heavy kits from Wrath...

Quote Originally Posted by maddermax View Post
    Meh, landraider is $110, and it's only a large box with gun sponsons. Even the DreadKnight is $90...
    I think after the solos, the others will probably cost $120 or so, though time will tell.
    Well, and I don't mean to be cruel, you are using GW's Australian prices. Most of the civilized world pays 2/3 of what you do for a landraider ($66 US) or Dreadknight (~$57 US).

I don't know what PP's price scheme looks like in AU, but GW's absurdly inflated aussie values make for a poor base line.

While I’m not made of money, I’ll just have to have one. Maybe I’ll eventually get two. My only worry is that my painting skills are not nearly up to the task, but I’ll give it a shot regardless. Someday *rubs hands together* someday I’ll put a pair of battle engines and a pair of colossals on the table and just walk my way towards an objective, mwahahahaha. Ah, I can’t wait to get my grubby hands on one of these.

It’s actually cheaper than my worst expectations (I was thinking 120-150 tops), but more expensive than I had hoped, but then again, I can’t blame them considering just how awesome it looks. If GW put out a titan it would probably be a comparable, if not more expensive model (look at forge world titan kits, yikes). It looks awesome to me, and I want to know more about the tesla balls and see how they kill stuff dead.
    "War is an art and as such is not susceptible of explanation by fixed formula." George S. Patton

"Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Raktra View Post
    Maybe it's because I get payed too much for a nineteen year-old, but £85 (not factoring in store loyalty discounts) doesn't bother me much. Bring on Conquest.
    When I was 19, I didn't have a house, baby, and wife to pay for.

Buy as much stuff as you can now Raktra. Buy it all.
    "Destiny is but another word for perseverance. We must grasp victory with our own hands." - Incissar Vyros

Quote Originally Posted by Dino-Czar View Post
    Well, and I don't mean to be cruel, you are using GW's Australian prices. Most of the civilized world pays 2/3 of what you do for a landraider ($66 US) or Dreadknight (~$57 US).

I don't know what PP's price scheme looks like in AU, but GW's absurdly inflated aussie values make for a poor base line.
    Very true. Another victim of the great Aussie Price Gouge.

Rasheth 2014: Chains we can believe in!

It makes me happy that I can fit a full sized heavy jack on the base of the Stormwall like its using it was a giant walking metal umbrella.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast