PDA

View Full Version : Feralgeist spiritbond and controlling a zone.

huffer0001
03-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Hello I am getting ready for a Steamroller and I have Legion and I want to take a feralgeist. Well I was talking to a friend and he got me wondering. Say the feralgeist spiritbonds a dead titan gladiator and I then use the opponents gladiator to occupy a zone to claim points and so on. It says that incoporial models cannot claim but on the feralgeists card says he is removed from the table. So can it do any claiming or contesting while spiritbind is in effect.

Thanks

The_Veneficus
03-12-2012, 06:48 PM
yea it can, as per p.31 of steam roller 2012, also as its a freindly minion it counts as per the scenarios in the core rule books

Rave0183
03-13-2012, 06:46 AM
There are some very specific rules when it comes to Feralgeists and Machine Wraiths in the 2012 document.

Contesting : Model in the zone. Regardless of whether the geist in in the titan, or out, in either case the model actually on the table is friendly to you, so it contests the zone.

Controlling: You own friendly models in the zone and your opponent doesn't with a PC of 1 or more. In both cases, the Geist in, or out of a titan qualifies.

Where the distinction comes in is when discussing point costs in a zone for tiebreakers. If the beast you were controlling was a friendly warbeast to start with, you count the points of the beast. If it is an enemy warbeast, you only get the points of the Geist.

DemonCalibre
03-13-2012, 08:25 AM
The answer is no

Zone: A player controls a zone if he owns one or
more models within it and no opponent contests it.

The Keyword is "own".

Own: Players own the models in their fielded army
list and any models created by abilities of models
in the army list

So because you do not "Own" the titan Gladiator, it can neither control nor contest a point in SR2012, as my understanding goes.

vintersbastard
03-13-2012, 03:29 PM
So because you do not "Own" the titan Gladiator, it can neither control nor contest a point in SR2012, as my understanding goes.

I first thought the same, but after looking at the very specific interaction of a Spiritbonded beast with the tiebreakers, I came to the conclusion that the affirmation to the Feralgeist's abilitiy to control and contest zones and objectives (cf. p. 31 SR2012) only made sense if it referred to a beast under the control of the 'geist.

solkan
03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I first thought the same, but after looking at the very specific interaction of a Spiritbonded beast with the tiebreakers, I came to the conclusion that the affirmation to the Feralgeist's abilitiy to control and contest zones and objectives (cf. p. 31 SR2012) only made sense if it referred to a beast under the control of the 'geist.

The problem with that claim is that the Feralgeist does not create the model. Instead,

The warbeast becomes a friendly Minion, gains Undead, and no longer belongs to a battlegroup.

No model is added, or removed, from play. Instead the type and control of the exiting model changes. Compare that to the various abilities like the Necrosurgeon which add new models into play.

DemonCalibre
03-14-2012, 06:25 AM
I am not sure how you got that from the Spiritbonded interaction for VPs.

If you "own" the beast it's controlling you get the Beasts VPs, if you don't the Feralgeist gets out, you remove the beast you don't own from the board, and score the Geist.

How would that imply you "own" the beast that isn't yours.

Hacksaw76
03-14-2012, 11:52 AM
It says that incoporeal models cannot control

This is incorrect, the incorporeal advantage does not preclude a model from controlling a zone

So can the feralgeist control or contest while spiritbind is in effect?

No, the feralgeist cannot control or contest while spiritbind is in effect since it has been removed from the table. The warbeast that you control as a result can control or contest if you own it. If it is your opponent's warbeast it cannot control or contest since you do not own the model. The keys here are the definition of "own" and the fact that the feralgeist model is removed from the table.