PDA

View Full Version : Unit Ability And Token Placement

2LiveIs2Die
03-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Can you mark abilities for units on any model in the unit or is it supoose to be on the leader?

Just curious because I did something in a recent game I wouldn't have done if the leader had been marked (as he was my target) but after declaring it my opponent pointed to a trooper off to the side with a spell token on it.

solkan
03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
You have a problem of sportsmanship, or a problem with unclear record keeping, not a rules a problem, as far as I can tell. :(

Lanz
03-12-2012, 10:06 PM
If you're talking about a model/unit effect, it's not on any single model in the unit, it's on the whole unit. You aren't allowed to pick out a single model to be affected.

jandrese
03-12-2012, 10:18 PM
It is customary to place tokens next to the leader of the unit, but there is no written rule that requires it.

solkan
03-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Can you mark abilities for units on any model in the unit or is it supoose to be on the leader?

I took another pass through the rulebook, including refreshing my memory to where the "how to represent focus" callout box is located. As far as I could find, there's no mandate in the rules to use markers to indicate effects on units, and by extension no mandate in the rules on where that marker would be placed. There are mandates, like on page 30, for clear and open record keeping, but it comes down to sportsmanship and page five for the definition of what clear and open record keeping is.

Just curious because I did something in a recent game I wouldn't have done if the leader had been marked (as he was my target) but after declaring it my opponent pointed to a trooper off to the side with a spell token on it.

On the technical side of things, not all units have leaders, so this isn't actually a possibility. If you meant something like unit commander instead, I think that would be a reasonable possibility to agree on as far as mutually agreed standards of clear record keeping.

On the game play side of things, I can imagine any number of ways that this exchange between you and your opponent could have gone down, and several of them cause me to be gravely concerned about the level of sportsmanship exhibited at the time. Some of the more optimistic scenarios include calmly and politely stating the question, "Why wasn't that token placed where I could see it?", and you and your opponent reaching a mutually agreeable standard for where such tokens should be placed.

2LiveIs2Die
03-13-2012, 12:35 AM
I think you mean not all units have commander/officer as in non promotable leaders. All units have unit leaders.
and I am looking for a rules answer, not oppinion or sportsmanship answer, thanks though.

Lanz
03-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Not sure what you're asking then. How about using an actual example of where it applies, instead of a hypothetical scenario? What unit and what ability are you asking about?

Hjelmen0
03-13-2012, 02:19 AM
and I am looking for a rules answer
There is nothing in the rules that dictate where you should place tokens for marking effects, and there are actually no explicit rules that state that you must mark effects. If you play in a Steamroller 2012 tournament, then the following is the only rule regarding markers:

Tokens representing in-game effects such as focus, fury, spells, and abilities are required and must be kept adjacent to the corresponding model on the table.

Again, there are no rules regarding where in relation to the affected unit the token must be placed, other than adjacent to it.

poeticruse
03-13-2012, 04:56 AM
There is no rules answer to this. It is a tabletop communication question.

In steamroller tournaments, the following applies, but nothing is specific as to exactly which model in a unit a unit-level spell must be near (and honestly, that level of specifics seems unwieldy)

From the steamroller rules doc:

Tokens representing in-game effects suchas focus, fury, spells, and abilities are required and must be kept adjacent to the corresponding model on thetable.

Beyond this, this is a sportsmanship and communication question.

solkan
03-13-2012, 06:59 AM
I think you mean not all units have commander/officer as in non promotable leaders. All units have unit leaders.

You're confusing leader and unit commander. See Unit Commander on page 71 of Prime Mk II. The Withershade Combine and the Necrosurgeon & stitch thralls, for example, are units without leaders.

Valander
03-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Original question about token placement answered. If there are other questions regarding other things, they go in other threads. ;)