PDA

View Full Version : Special Attacks and Charging

DanceMaster
03-18-2012, 09:33 AM
So quick question. I was in a tournament recently and was playing Retribution. I charged up with my Phoenix and was going to use my Combustion special attack as I was surrounding by infantry. I was told by the opponent that I could not do this as it was supposed to be a charge attack and had to be associated with a melee weapon on the model and Combustion is just the model itself not a specific weapon system.

I read through the book again to check this and saw nothing in the rules or the FAQ that I could find to tell me why I could not use this. In the rules it states that if your first attack hits, and "if you are using a melee weapon" then your attack is boosted. How I read that is that if I charge and make my special attack (which will in turn get rid of all my initial attacks) then it would not be a boosted damage roll but would still be a legal attack after a charge.

I hope I worded this so it is understandable, but I just wanted to know if I missed a FAQ or rule somewhere that would tell me why I couldn't do this.

Thanks!

Crate123
03-18-2012, 09:54 AM
You can not charge and attack with a *Attack unless its attached to a melee weapon OR it specifically says that you can use it on a charge.
Combustion is not attached to a melee weapon and it doesnt say that it can be used during a charge so you can not.
Your opponent was correct.

P. 47 of Prime: ......"It must use its action to make a combat action, choosing to make either initial melee attacks or (if it can make a special attack with a melee weapon) a melee special attack.

Vondell
03-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Prime MKII pg. 47

A charging model that ends its charge movement with its charge target in its melee range has made a successful charge. It must use its action to make a combat action, choosing to make either initial melee attacks or (if it can make a special attack with a melee weapon) a melee special attack.

Hope that helps.

There are some special attacks that can be used on the charge, but these attacks specifically state so.

DanceMaster
03-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Ahhhhh! Crap! I am not sure why I didnt see that paragraph hahaha, thanks for the clarification! :)