PDA

View Full Version : Forfeit charge attack to make a weapon lock?

Rochr
03-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Scenario.

Ironclad charges Avatar of Menoth with Enliven. Ironclad opts to make a Power Attack: Weapon Lock when he comes into melee range with the Avatar and pays one more focus (2 focus so far), Weapon Lock is successful but causes no damage since it is a weapon lock thus Enliven does not trigger. Then the Ironclad buys an attack with his hammer for his last focus. Enliven triggers but since the Avatar is weapon locked he can't advance.

1. The Ironclad loses both it's initial attacks since Power Attacks is a form of (*Attack), correct?
2. Under Power Attacks it says that "A model cannot make a power attack as its charge attack" - What does this exactly mean? That the damage roll (if there was one) is not automatically boosted? Or does it mean I _must_ do a regular initial attack because I charged?
3. Is my scenario legal?

Best regards.

Circle noob
03-20-2012, 01:47 AM
sry your scenario doesnt work at all; i.e. it is not legal. a power attack cant be used after charging. so he would have to do his tremor special attack, knocking the avatar down and preventing any movement via enliven.

cannnot make power attacks is plainly prohibiting power attacks after a charge movement. you cannot spend the focus to do so. only regular attacks or special attacks originating from melee weapons are viable after the charg movement.

after a charge you can only use melee attacks or special attacks from a melee weapon. in rare special cases you can use special attacks which dont come from a melee weapon, but those state this fact in their special rule that you are able to use them after a charge. pls refer to the charge section concerning charge attacks. (no book on me, so no page reference)

if you want to apply a weapon lock you only have your normal movement plus your 0.5" range for power attacks.
lets suppose the ironclad walked up to the avatar and weapon locks it, then buying additional attacks and damaging the avatar. normally the avatar could walk away, free out of activation advance granted by enliven, but your locks prevents that movement.

Rochr
03-20-2012, 03:51 AM
Thanks for fast reply. Problem is that the Avatar is usually immune to knock down via Covenant, trying to work around that.

Circle noob
03-20-2012, 04:31 AM
hmmm, that is more of a tactic discussion not rules thingy. just post it in the menite forum or cygnar part to get ideas from the others

Geekly
03-20-2012, 05:24 AM
If you charge and make a successful charge (end movement within melee range) you must use your combat action to make either initial melee attacks (power attacks replace these when you can use power attacks) or a melee special attack. There's no mention of power attacks, so you couldn't make them. However, if you don't move more than 3", the first attack is not a charge attack and you can do whatever kind of attacks you want that are normally allowed. What is boils down to is that you can't get that extra 3" of movement from a charge and still do a power attack.

Crate123
03-20-2012, 06:03 AM
If you charge and make a successful charge (end movement within melee range) you must use your combat action to make either initial melee attacks (power attacks replace these when you can use power attacks) or a melee special attack. There's no mention of power attacks, so you couldn't make them. However, if you don't move more than 3", the first attack is not a charge attack and you can do whatever kind of attacks you want that are normally allowed. What is boils down to is that you can't get that extra 3" of movement from a charge and still do a power attack.

Not quite true.
If you declare a charge, you can not perform power attacks whether you move 3" or less.
So dont declare a charge if you want to make power attacks.