PDA

View Full Version : Feat/Spells during failed charge?

RayofPaint
03-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Last week I played a guy at our LGS who told me this is legal:

-Declare a charge target you know you won't reach
-Move SPD+3"
-Before determining whether the charge was failed or not, pop feat and/or cast spells
-Resolve charge (which failed)

Now I know you can do this between movement and attacks on a successful charge. I didn't question it because he seemed to have a thorough understanding of the rules, and it was just a friendly game anyway. But it's been on my mind the past few days, and I wanted to check.

Valander
03-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Nope, not legal. If you charge and end your movement without your target in melee range, your activation ends immediately.

tuttleboy
03-24-2012, 02:03 PM
As the purple penguin says. Check PG 47 middle of the right column. You can do all that stuff prior to the charge move, but not after.

Karl Eller
03-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Casting spells and popping feats are "At any time during this model's activation" abilities, which are covered under Warmachine Prime Mk II p244. Note that they cannot interrupt movement, so if the Warcaster charges and ends outside of Melee range, the check for if it's a failed/successful charge will trigger before you're allowed to cast spells/feat. Since it is now a failed charge, their activation ends immediately.

p244-245 will often give the solution to a lot of these timing questions.

Valander
03-24-2012, 05:48 PM
It's best to keep discussion of "what you can do" and the like to the tactics forums, rather than adding potentially confusing posts in the rules forum. I have removed some posts for this reason, and am locking the thread to keep it concise.