PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a melee page reference....

Crimsus
03-31-2012, 08:20 PM
So we had a little bit of a heated debate tonight after gaming.

Apparently one of the new guys playing was told by another that if an enemy model is standing on the right side of a models front arc that the attacking model can't use its left melee weapon.

Here's a basic sketch of the situation:
http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n526/Crimsus/dia.jpg

Can model "A" (the attacker) attack model 2 with his Left Melee Weapon and not just his Right Melee Weapon?

I'm having problems finding the reference. I've looked through the melee section but can't find any specifics. Model "A" doesn't have any spells, effects, or special conditions on it, nor do any of the other models.

-Crimsus

Mr. Golden Deal
03-31-2012, 08:59 PM
There's absolutely no such rule stating that. A model's (and weapon's) melee range extends to the entire front arc, unless it's on a 120mm base (battle engines, colossals, etc.).

Crate123
04-01-2012, 03:47 AM
There's absolutely no such rule stating that. A model's (and weapon's) melee range extends to the entire front arc, unless it's on a 120mm base (battle engines, colossals, etc.).

And even then its only a few of them that have that rule.
As golden Deal says, regular models do NOT have this rule and can attack with whatever weapon they want (as long as it has the range required) in their entire front arc.

Minotaur
04-01-2012, 04:03 AM
I think this would be covered under 'Combat Actions' in the rulebook, but I do not have a page reference on hand. Usually in my group, if someone brings up a rule and it seems off, the person quoting the rule has to find it and show it, to prove there are no 'shenanigans' going on.

poeticruse
04-01-2012, 05:17 AM
There is no such rule. As other posters have said, they may have misread, or misapplied, the Facing & Line of Sight rules on p.16 of wrath, which apply specifically to battle engines.

If you want the rule that allows melee attacks, it is:

A melee attack can be made against any target in the melee range of the weapon being used and in the attacker’s line of sight.

plus

A weapon’s melee range extends 0.5" beyond the model’s front arc for any type of melee attack. A weapon with Reach :Reach: has a melee range of 2". Some effects and special rules increase a weapon’s melee range beyond this.

From p.50 of Primal.

hamsandwich50
04-01-2012, 05:23 AM
the best reference I can see is the diagram on PG 50 of Primal that shows the melee ranges and it doesn't have them divided by left and right, but like Minotaur said it should be on the player claiming that there are left and right arcs to prove this not on you to disprove this.