PDA

View Full Version : Melee range and Elevations

Yronhand
04-01-2012, 04:18 AM
Needing a clarification on melee range and elevations on these situations:

1. Two heavy warjacks are 'based' with each other, except the attacking warjack is on an elevation 2" high. It does not have reach. Would I still be able to reach the lower warjack?

2. An infantry model is on a lower elevation, the attacking infantry model is on a higher elevation 2" high. The attacker has reach. The target model is about 1" from the base of the elevation. Will the attacking infantry model with reach be able to hit the target?

I had a few answers of my own on this, but since it's not very often our meta does melee with such shenanigans, I was told to clarify these things.

Crate123
04-01-2012, 04:23 AM
When you attack an elevated target in melee you ignore the vertical distance if its less than 1".
Since none of your cases are less than 1" you would have to measure the real diagonal distance.

1: If the elevation is exactly 2" high, you would still be able to reach the lower jack. If something is 2" away its within 2" as per the rules.
2: You would not be able to attack since it would be more than 2" away.

Yronhand
04-01-2012, 04:30 AM
For #2 - Isn't it still within melee range, since the lower model's volume is within 2" of the front arc?

Crate123
04-01-2012, 04:40 AM
For #2 - Isn't it still within melee range, since the lower model's volume is within 2" of the front arc?

Measurements in Warmachine/Hordes are done from edge of base to edge of base. P.30 Prime.
Volume is only used to determine LOS.

Yronhand
04-01-2012, 05:38 AM
So to clarify - determining Melee reach is based absolutely on the terms of 'within x"' of the attacker's base to the defender's base? In this case either 0.5" or 2" - for most melee attacks.

Crate123
04-01-2012, 05:55 AM
So to clarify - determining Melee reach is based absolutely on the terms of 'within x"' of the attacker's base to the defender's base? In this case either 0.5" or 2" - for most melee attacks.

Yes, well if the elevation is less than 1" you dont count the vertical distance as well