PDA

View Full Version : Chain attack: Bloodbath........

MoN4RcH
04-10-2012, 02:47 PM
.............if this triggers do you have to attack every model in melee range friend or foe?

Tyr852
04-10-2012, 03:20 PM
You would be correct , it doesn't discriminate who it targets.

tort
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
almost. You can choose not to take the bloodbath attack. If you do take the attack it is both friendly and enemy models.

FeralJim
04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
So it's a poor mans Thresher then? What the hell lol, I always thought you got to choose on a model by model basis. Which seemed fair because it's bloody hard to get it off around infantry anyway.

Tyr852
04-10-2012, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't really say poor mans thresher , but yes the two are the same in function besides one being a chain attack and the other a special attack.

Tom Servo
04-11-2012, 08:50 AM
You would be correct , it doesn't discriminate who it targets.

Except, you will still not attack a friendly faction warlock. Right?

Kevin949
04-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Why would you think you wouldn't with this attack? It's any model in LOS and Melee range. I believe what you're referring to is the rule about their frenzy.

quindraco
04-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Why would you think you wouldn't with this attack? It's any model in LOS and Melee range. I believe what you're referring to is the rule about their frenzy.

Isn't Bloodbath a "may" effect? That would suggest a "smart" thresher, like OP originally thought it was. As I recall, the exact wording is "This model may immediately make an attack against each model....", meaning the "may" is ambiguous - it could mean you choose whether or not to launch the set of attacks, or it could mean you choose for each attack.

Kevin949
04-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Isn't Bloodbath a "may" effect? That would suggest a "smart" thresher, like OP originally thought it was. As I recall, the exact wording is "This model may immediately make an attack against each model....", meaning the "may" is ambiguous - it could mean you choose whether or not to launch the set of attacks, or it could mean you choose for each attack.

Considering the "may" precedes the option to attack, you should come to the conclusion that it only means you choose to make the attack or you choose to not make it. If it said "immediately makes an attack and may choose any model/models in it's LOS and melee range..." then ya.

vintersbastard
04-11-2012, 09:54 AM

Only if you're specifically asking about the Scythean. There are other models with this chain attack, though.

petegrrrr
04-11-2012, 10:21 AM

The wording is similar to a few other abilities, and the may has always meant the option to trigger the effects or not, not the individual attacks that the triggered effect creates.

quindraco
04-11-2012, 10:40 AM
The wording is similar to a few other abilities, and the may has always meant the option to trigger the effects or not, not the individual attacks that the triggered effect creates.

Could you list an example? I'm sure they must exist, but I can't think of or find any. It's pretty clear all such rules would follow the same ruling, so one example should be fine, but I'll take more if you happen to have a list handy.

solkan
04-11-2012, 12:02 PM
The only thread that comes up immediately is one dealing with Blood Creation (prohibition against attacking) and how it works vis a vis sprays, Bloodbath and Thresher. https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?89049-Blood-Creation-vs-Sprays-Bloodbath&p=1194855&viewfull=1#post1194855

There is certainly no choice involved while you're resolving the Thresher *attack. There's no selectivity in Thresher:
This model makes one melee attack with this weapon against each model in its LOS and this weaponʼs melee range.

SageofLodoss
04-11-2012, 12:11 PM
We discussed this last month as well:
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?100791-Thresher-and-Chain-Attack-Bloodbath

The "Can" refers to doing the chain attack or not. If you do it, you attack everyone, friend or foe, within melee range and LOS.

It does not allow a Scythean to attack its Warlock. Blood Creation is not limited to Frenzy, it specifically says they can not target their warlock. No Targeting = they won't attack their warlock with it.

So it's a poor mans Thresher then? What the hell lol, I always thought you got to choose on a model by model basis. Which seemed fair because it's bloody hard to get it off around infantry anyway.

Thresher is the same, but is a special attack instead of a chain attack that requires initial hits.