PDA

View Full Version : Moving Past A Terrifying Entity

2LiveIs2Die
04-13-2012, 06:55 PM
This came up in the finals of recruits and I am almost positive it was played wrong so I am going to ask here to clarify. If a player has a terrifying entity and a non-fearless unit (deathjack, bloodwitches) and during the movement of the blood witches they run/charge past the deathjack, encountering 3" but they do none of them end their movement within 3", do they or do they not take a command check.

My interpretation would be that they do, as per page 86 of primal it says a model or unit within 3" of a model with Abomination -- friendly or enemy -- must pass a command check or flee. Then it goes on to say you make the command check after normal movement. So I would assume you complete the units movement and then must pass a command check or flee.

I think the player with the deathjack and blood witches interpreted the "make command checks due to proximity with terrifying entities during a model's or unit's normal movement when the model or unit ends its normal movement." as you only make command check as to what is near you when you end, but the way I see it only suggest when you make the command check, not that you get to ignore it.

rydiafan
04-13-2012, 06:58 PM
My interpretation would be that they do, as per page 86 of primal it says a model or unit within 3" of a model with Abomination -- friendly or enemy -- must pass a command check or flee. Then it goes on to say you make the command check after normal movement. So I would assume you complete the units movement and then must pass a command check or flee.

This is correct.

poeticruse
04-13-2012, 09:44 PM
That answer is correct; if you are within 3" of an abomination at any time during your normal movement (and you haven't already checked) you command check or flee at the end of normal movement.

Please remember that this does not bear on the legitimacy of any tournament final you're describing. Any TO is doing the best they can to stay up to date on the rules, and cannot be expected to know the rules as well as an infernal or an avid rules forum reader might. They are human and make mistakes.

2LiveIs2Die
04-13-2012, 10:10 PM
It wasn't brought to the TOs attention, I was just curious for future play.

Alviaran
04-13-2012, 11:50 PM
On this, is it on a per model or per unit basis for when to resolve the check with regards to movement? As in, if the unit is charging past the Deathjack, half of them have moved (more than 3" from the Deathjack) and then one member charges past him, would you do the check when she charges past (and before the other half of the unit moves) or do you finish moving the entire unit before checking? If it is on when the individual model completes her movement, if they break, do the unmoved members no longer get the chance to move?

And if it is on a per model basis, does one charging past (and passing the CMD check) and getting more than 3" away, allow another check when another charges past (the unit has reencountered the Terrifying Entity)?

tort
04-14-2012, 01:45 AM
A single terrifying entity can cause a model or unit to take only one command check per turn due to proximity.
It also states to take command checks when
...the model or unit ends its normal movement
So one check, after the entire unit moves.