PDA

View Full Version : Battle Engine LOS

Robster55
04-23-2012, 02:30 AM
Dear all

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

In Wrath it states in the rules that forests and cloud effects do not block line of site to a Battle Engine.

So if the Battle Engine is on one side of a forest, and a jack is on the other side of the forest, can the Battle Engine draw line of sight to the jack?

Thanks

Robb

bitmatic
04-23-2012, 02:33 AM
No.

It only goes one way. Everything can see the BE, but the BE itself follows the normal rules when determining LOS to others.

Robster55
04-23-2012, 02:59 AM
Brill

Thanks

I was using my Battle Engine in a game the other night and had a situation where my battle engine was about 4 inch behind my Heavy Warjack, my Jack was in base contact with a cloud effect to its left and a forest to its right. I wanted to target a Behemoth which was a further 14" infront of my Heavy, but I had no way of drawing line of site from base to base, could I see over my own Heavy to the Behemoth in the distance to target it?

Regards

Robb

bitmatic
04-23-2012, 03:11 AM
No.

You can not 'see over' other models like that. Your own base size matters not when determining if an intervening model blocks LOS. Your own warjack block LOS to the Behemoth since its base is the same size (or larger) as the Behemoth's.

Robster55
04-23-2012, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the help

Robb

Del Fuego
04-23-2012, 04:59 AM
At work so no easy rules quote, but I believe intervening size only counts if target is within one inch of intervening model, therefore LOS could be drawn to Behemoth as I infer that it was 10 inches from the intervening model.

Del Fuego

Crate123
04-23-2012, 05:25 AM
At work so no easy rules quote, but I believe intervening size only counts if target is within one inch of intervening model, therefore LOS could be drawn to Behemoth as I infer that it was 10 inches from the intervening model.

Del Fuego

Incorrect, you are mixing this up with Arcing Fire. Intervening models are intervening models no matter the distance (unless attacking with a weapon with Arcing Fire).

bitmatic
04-23-2012, 05:26 AM

Nope... Distance normally has nothing to do with it.

One notable exception is Arcing fire, that lets you ignore models more than 1" away from the target. But the Gun Carriage does not have Arcing fire.
(another notable exception is if the intervening model has stealth)

Del Fuego
04-23-2012, 05:54 AM
Completely fair, my only other notion as to why it should be okay to "see over" involves the pretty pictures in Prime MKII that are cylindrical representations of assumed height and the LOS sight line, but I'll have to look at Wrath after 2 EST as I'm not sure if we have a higher top cylinder setting for huge bases.

Crate123
04-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Model volume is not used to determine whether a model blocks LOS to other models, its used to determine whether terrain blocks LOS to models.