PDA

View Full Version : Stopping or pausing the clock to mark damage?

D.Sanchez
05-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Can you stop the clock when your opponent marks damage? I've looked around the forum for this and couldn't finding anything for just marking damage.
When a player moves a model, rolls dice, or takes significant time to make decisions during the other
player?s turn, the player whose turn it is has the option of switching to the opponent?s time on the chess
clock while these actions are resolved.

Marking damage has nothing to do with making decisions or moving models or rolling dice. I understand pausing to roll for tough and such. Some tourneys I've been to some players pause the chess clock while I marked damage. Is that legal?

Crate123
05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
I would say generally no, unless you are very slow to mark your damage (could be you have Death Ward and take your time deciding on where to mark the damage).

Murkhadh
05-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I do this all the time. I often need to know what's out before I make the next attack. I ask what's out and if he can't immediatly answer that question I stop the clock till he can.

D.Sanchez
05-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah but that's TIME for you to make decisions when your decision making should be done on your time that's running.

Alviaran
05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
No. Unless your opponent is taking a significant amount of time (don't recap your marker after every attack when I have more models in the unit that charged that same jack...) or taking too long for decisions (such as the Death Ward example above) you do not flip the time or pause it.

And at Adepticon, we were being told to not pause the clocks unless calling over a judge. Admittedly, this was also related to a time crunch with how long the event would be, but it would seem to hold true.

D.Sanchez
05-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm preparing for Lock&Load and was wondering. I hope it's the same as Adepticon. Not a fan of the pausing clock, feels like cheating to me. As if the opponent is trying to gain time.

rydiafan
05-06-2012, 04:31 PM
And at Adepticon, we were being told to not pause the clocks unless calling over a judge. Admittedly, this was also related to a time crunch with how long the event would be, but it would seem to hold true.

That was Death Clock, however, which should never be paused.

You have the right to pause your timer (or switch to your opponent's time in Death Clock) any time your opponent is doing something on your turn. How swiftly you act on that right (every tough check, marking damage, thinking about whether to use Admonition) is a sportsmanship issue, not a rules issue.

Murkhadh
05-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Yeah but that's TIME for you to make decisions when your decision making should be done on your time that's running.

I need a key piece of information to make that decision that my opponent has to provide, a lot of guys are really slow to mark damage and put the cap back on the marker, or they put their dice down after every tough check and they are playing trolls so they know more tough checks are coming. I run out of time due to my opponent taking up my time if I don't stop the clock every time they do this kind of stuff. More so at 35 points and 7 minute turns.

Crate123
05-06-2012, 05:26 PM
If they are being slow about it, sure stop the clock. but if they are doing it at average speed I would call it cheating to stop the clock when he is marking damage.
If you are asking what is out after every time you hit a jack and know nothing has changed and then stop the clock because your opponent has to look down and say "nothing new", then you are cheating as well IMO.
If they are just being slow, ask them to hurry and tell them that you're stopping the clock if they cant be faster about it.

rydiafan
05-06-2012, 06:43 PM
If they are being slow about it, sure stop the clock. but if they are doing it at average speed I would call it cheating to stop the clock when he is marking damage.

"Slow" and "average speed" are undefinable within the rules, which is why there's no 100% correct answer to this.

You are allowed to do it every time your opponent is doing something. When you should do it falls outside the rules.

D.Sanchez
05-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Tough rolls isn't even in question, it's stated in the rules if your oppent has to roll dice it's on their time. Marking damage isn't stated at all, is my point. The opponent isn't moving models, rolling dice, or making any decision, they're just marking damage. I would understand if death ward was up or if they had bastions and was moving damage around.

Murkhadh
05-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Tough rolls isn't even in question, it's stated in the rules if your oppent has to roll dice it's on their time. Marking damage isn't stated at all, is my point. The opponent isn't moving models, rolling dice, or making any decision, they're just marking damage. I would understand if death ward was up or if they had bastions and was moving damage around.

What is stated that if your opponent does anything on your turn that takes up time, your allowed to stop the clock, key word being anything.

Murkhadh
05-06-2012, 08:10 PM
"Slow" and "average speed" are undefinable within the rules, which is why there's no 100% correct answer to this.

You are allowed to do it every time your opponent is doing something. When you should do it falls outside the rules.

I think as long as you be sure to start the clock again before you do anything, and I mean anything at all your being fair.

You roll hit, roll damage, kill, stop clock, wait for the tough roll, the second you see the dice to know he made it or not, you start the clock again. etc.

Or you roll, hit do damage, ask if movement is out, he's like "uhhhhhhh hold on", stop the clock, he says "yes" start the clock and continue.

In this case its pretty key to know if movement is in or out before you make the next attack, you very well may need to know that to know if you need to boost to hit or not.

Valander
05-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Straying a bit out of the realm of the rules forum, so closing.

Generally, in regular timed turns, pausing the clock is done if your opponent takes significant time to do something, etc., though it really is up to the TO for final guidelines.