PDA

View Full Version : Reach and Large Bases

Alcibiates
05-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Interesting question came up in a game over the weekend concerning a model with reach that ignores line of site attacking through a large base:

Reach is defined as 2" melee range. A large base is 50mm. 2" is 50.8mm. Should a model with reach be able to attack through a large base? I would presume the intent of the sizes is so that this cannot happen, but the exact math would suggest that it can. Thoughts?

dungeongod
05-07-2012, 10:39 AM
If the math says it can, it can. Reach is 2", a large base is slightly smaller than that. So yeah - definitely. Reach can attack past a large base, assuming LoS and all that.

waspinator21
05-07-2012, 10:44 AM
it would depend on the positioning of the large base. if the model you want to hit is directly behind the base then no because your melee weapon cannot go through one model to hit another.

SageofLodoss
05-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Interesting question came up in a game over the weekend concerning a model with reach that ignores line of site attacking through a large base:

Reach is defined as 2" melee range. A large base is 50mm. 2" is 50.8mm. Should a model with reach be able to attack through a large base? I would presume the intent of the sizes is so that this cannot happen, but the exact math would suggest that it can. Thoughts?

The rules are largely a "can" or "cannot" basis. There is a rule saying you need LOS to attack and thus cannot attack a smaller base when a large one is blocking your LOS. If you ignore that rule because of a special ability, what else is there to tell you that you can't? If there isn't another rule, then just proceed to hard math. You can verify that your reach will indeed go past a large base using the Reach Finder template.

SageofLodoss
05-07-2012, 10:48 AM
it would depend on the positioning of the large base. if the model you want to hit is directly behind the base then no because your melee weapon cannot go through one model to hit another.

Incorrect I believe. Because Ranked Attacks lets you do exactly this. OP is specifying that he is talking about a hypothetical involving a power/ability similar to Ranked Attacks, which ignores LOS requirements. LOS is the only thing involved here: there is no rule that I'm aware of other than LOS that prevents you from attacking through another base.

Crate123
05-07-2012, 10:50 AM
A large base is indeed smaller than 2", thus you can attack across a large base if LOS isnt an issue.

Bishop84
05-07-2012, 03:44 PM
OP is specifying that he is talking about a hypothetical involving a power/ability similar to Ranked Attacks, which ignores LOS requirements.

Hypothetical nothing. Awareness does exactly this.

To the point something similar to this came up in a game I played. I charged a heavy 'jack with my Warpwolf Stalker, scrapped it, then proceeded to buy another attack at the guy standing b2b where the 'jack used to be. My beast was b2b with the 'jack after the charge, but got bumped a bit when he removed it from the table. I tried to point out that a reach tool extends completely across a large base, but he would have none of it.

Leo_the_Rat
05-07-2012, 03:54 PM
This effect can also be caused by Kaelyssa and Phantom Hunter on a Jack with reach. He can charge into b2b with a Hvy Jack/beast and stab right through it into someone b2b on the other side.

Valander
05-07-2012, 04:03 PM
There are two requirements to making a melee attack:

1. The target is in your LOS.
2. The target is within your melee range.

If both of those are met, you can attack. If you measure across a large base, it is possible to be within 2", and an ability which ignores intervening models would allow LOS, so...

Locking now since it's getting into more tactical discussion.