PDA

View Full Version : Basher Grand Slam vs Grim Angus Feat

dorkfest
05-08-2012, 09:56 AM
I recently won a game with a basher who was within 5" of a bomber who was standing in front of Grim Angus. Grim Angus popped his feat. I used Grand Slam (being as it isn't listed as a special action) to hit the bomber.
Was this legal?
Thanks!

Jeremy

KhisanthMagus
05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Grand Slam allows the Basher to make a Slam power attack for free and get additional slam distance. If you started within his control area, which it sounds like you did, you would have a spd penalty and therefor would not be able to do a Slam power attack.

SageofLodoss
05-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Grand Slam is not an action, but an ability which states modifications on an action. In this case, a Slam Power Attack. You would have to announce a Slam Power attack, and would then get Grand Slam's rules modifying it (free, extra distance, etc). So your action was not legal on two counts: One, Power Attacks are Special Attacks by default, even though there is no Star Attack listing, so Spread the Net prevents you from doing them while in Grim's control area. Second, you have a speed penalty, and can not perform a Slam while under any speed debuff.

dorkfest
05-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks! The basher was in Grim's control area.
Sage: Your first point makes sense and is obvious in the rulebook now that I look at it. I don't think the speed penalty (your second point) would have affected this if I could slam. A slam gives the basher 8" slam range. Subtract 3" due to the debuff, allows the basher to slam up to 5" right? So he could have slammed...if of course it was legal to make a special attack. Redundant point perhaps...but worthwile looking at if I end up that situation.

wargrim
05-08-2012, 11:25 AM
An effect that prevents charging also prevents a slam. And if you suffer any penalties to your speed you may not charge -> no slams with -speed

Mod_Redphantasm
05-08-2012, 11:56 AM
An effect that prevents charging also prevents a slam. And if you suffer any penalties to your speed you may not charge -> no slams with -speed

This is correct.

Valander
05-08-2012, 12:05 PM
This is correct.
Hey, that's my line... ;)

But yes, it is correct:

A model suffering a penalty to its SPD or movement for any reason other than for being in rough terrain cannot charge, regardless of offsetting bonuses.
Combined with:

Any effects that prevent a model from charging, such as a penalty to its SPD or movement for any reason other than for being in rough terrain, also prevent the model from making a slam power attack.

dorkfest
05-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks man!