PDA

View Full Version : complicating a simpel question: resolution of attacks on SH cavalry assault/backswing

Eredhiel
05-30-2012, 09:54 AM
stemming from a previous post. Assuming a SH cavalry model contacts its charge target as first model, I want to know if the following is correct:

A) I can choose to make the impact attack or not on the target. however if the impact attack kills the target, the charge is failed, since the impact attack is technically resolved before the end of the movement. additionally, differently from impact attacks done during the movement, I do not do impact attacks on ALL models in melee but just on the charge target (pag. 82 prime "if the charge target is the first model contacted by the charging cavalry model, the charging model CAN still make an impact attack against IT")

B) I resolve the ranged attack on the charge target.

C) I resolve the first backswing attack, which is a charge attack so it receives +2 to attack and boosted damage (assuming the charge target is alive). I resolve the second backswing attack which has no boost to either dmg or attack rolls

am I correct on all points? thanks

lobachevskii
05-31-2012, 12:18 AM
stemming from a previous post. Assuming a SH cavalry model contacts its charge target as first model, I want to know if the following is correct:

A) I can choose to make the impact attack or not on the target. however if the impact attack kills the target, the charge is failed, since the impact attack is technically resolved before the end of the movement. additionally, differently from impact attacks done during the movement, I do not do impact attacks on ALL models in melee but just on the charge target (pag. 82 prime "if the charge target is the first model contacted by the charging cavalry model, the charging model CAN still make an impact attack against IT")

First sentences are definitely correct. I think you are reading too much into that line from Prime. My reading is that you are allowed to make impact attacks as normal, including against the model contacted who happened to be the charge target. The sentence you have quoted does not say you can't make impact attacks against everyone else in melee, it just clarifies that you can still choose to make impact attacks even if the charge target is the first contacted.

B) I resolve the ranged attack on the charge target.

Assuming the charge target is still alive and that you issued an Assault order you make a ranged attack against the charge target when you end movement.

C) I resolve the first backswing attack, which is a charge attack so it receives +2 to attack and boosted damage (assuming the charge target is alive). I resolve the second backswing attack which has no boost to either dmg or attack rolls

am I correct on all points? thanks

Backswing attacks are simultaneous which may confuse resolution here but otherwise seems correct.

Eredhiel
05-31-2012, 12:59 AM
thanks for the reply! I would like a 100% sure answer on A) just because the SH cavalry get the flanking bonus from halberdiers and against heavies it would be cool to also have the impact attack without risking to kill your own infantry in mount melee range, but I guess you are correct in your interpretation and I am just wishing too much

solkan
05-31-2012, 02:07 AM
I'm absolutely certain on the bit about "If the charge target is the first model contacted by the charging model, ..." existing to stave off possible conflicts between the charge rules, how the charge move gets split, and other potential concerns. Nothing in the sentence you quoted changes when the impact hits described at the beginning of that paragraph are resolved.

Also, there are plenty of threads going over the fact that you can kill your charge target, be forced to continue moving, and then fail the charge when you finally stop. Here's one of them: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?98078-Cavalry-Impact-and-Charge-same-target&p=1311883&viewfull=1#post1311883