PDA

View Full Version : PoM battle engine and warcaster

anshard21
05-31-2012, 09:30 PM
So I played a game tonight against epic Kreoss and the battle engine. At the end of the game Barnabus charged Kreoss and killed him with all of his fury. The battle engine used the save a warrior model ability(sorry i dont know what its called) and took 2 damage killing itself and saved kreoss who walked over and swung on Barnabus. My question is, is this legal and if barnabus died who wins? The way I understand it is, The warcaster dies, then the battle engine saves hi, he makes an attack, then is removed from play. However since the model dies before the attack wouldn't the game end because the player has no living warcasters on the table?

solkan
05-31-2012, 11:03 PM
No, really, it does what it says it does: The Doors of Judgement prevents the warcaster from being destroyed long enough for it to destroy your warcaster, resulting in the Protectorate player winning.

The important fact to note: The effect of the Doors of Judgement is to delay the "death" or destruction of the model. As long as that effect lasts, that warcaster is NOT destroyed and thus the Protectorate player HAS NOT lost because that model is still "alive".

Disclaimer: There was originally a claim made that the ability would be errata'd to not work on warcasters: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?67095-Doors-of-Judgement&p=946255&viewfull=1#post946255
However, when the subsequent errata was released, no such change took place: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?91609-Doors-of-Judgement-and-Warcasters&p=1226734&viewfull=1#post1226734

Therefore, it currently does work as written and delays the death of the warcaster long enough to give the Protectorate player the opportunity to try to destroy the other warcaster and win.

Bittersashes
06-01-2012, 04:06 AM
In this case, it's not legal, because if the damage from the Holy Reliquary ability kills the battle engine, then Doors of Judgement does not take effect, so Kreoss would die as normal. (Tactical Tip, Wrath, p56)

If the battle engine did not die from the damage, then Doors of Judgement would have taken effect. If Kreoss had killed Barnabas, the Menoth player would win the game. The chain of events would go Barnabas does enough damage to kill Kreoss > Doors of Judgement triggers, stopping Kreoss from being destroyed > Kreoss moves, attacks and does enough damage to kill Barnabas > Barnabas is destroyed > the attack is now resolved, Doors of Judgement expires and Kreoss is destroyed. Since Barnabas is destroyed first, the game ends at that point and the Menoth player wins, even though Kreoss would die immediately after is the game continued.