PDA

View Full Version : Consume vs AOE

kerensky
06-01-2012, 04:04 AM
With Colossal books being sold at LnL might aswell bring this one up now.

Consume: "If this attack hits a small based non-warcaster/warlock model, the model hit is removed from play."

With Swamp Troll and Skareth this is pretty straight forward.
The Hyperion brings this ability forward with a 5" AOE and as a critical affect.

So, if the target model is a small based non-warlock/warcaster and critically hit, do all models fitting this description get removed from play as they would all count as being hit by the attack?

Bring it on :)

Lachlan the Mad
06-01-2012, 04:31 AM
The effect as it stands says "Hit", not "Directly Hit". Therefore, if it was attached to an AOE, on a critical hit it would consume all eligible models under the AOE.

The Captain
06-01-2012, 04:33 AM
The definition of AOE's includes the fact that all models under the template are hit (Prime, p. 59). You just need a critical hit to trigger the effect.

drachenfels
06-01-2012, 04:40 AM
yes. AOE's HIT all models under the template. so a crit hit with this weapon will remove all of that type of model.

Mod_Redphantasm
06-01-2012, 05:04 AM
I concur with all of the above.

kerensky
06-01-2012, 05:11 AM
I too, but I think it needs to be brought up least it become a issue of contension in the future.
Viva la disintergrate!

j78
06-01-2012, 10:26 AM
sounds like confusion is coming from the line "model hit" but i'm guessing it says "model" instead of "models" only because its cut&paste from other instances of crit consume. sounds like all models to me.

ChadeFIN
06-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Sooo do I read it right that you don't even have to directly hit your original target? You could, for example, roll snake eyes and still score crit causing consume on all eligible models over which the template scatters?

Saraminss
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Do you get a critical hit effect if you don't score a hit?

jandrese
06-01-2012, 10:43 AM
You must directly hit your target AND roll two of the same number to trigger a critical effect.

Dawnlord Ed
06-01-2012, 12:07 PM
You must directly hit your target AND roll two of the same number to trigger a critical effect.

Yup...it's not possible to score a critical hit if you missed. ;)

j78
06-17-2012, 04:30 PM
Is this being checked or are we right that all models get consumed? Saw that other rulings from the new book are out already, didn't see any purple people in this thread.

Mastershake
06-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Is this being checked or are we right that all models get consumed? Saw that other rulings from the new book are out already, didn't see any purple people in this thread.

Infernals don't jump in as often when there's no wierd interaction involved and this seems like it would be pretty straightforward. The rule either says "hit" in which case every small base gets RFPed on a crit or it says "directly hit" in which case just the original target. Either way, doesn't seem like a ruling is needed.

solkan
06-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Is that listed as a critical effect of the attack? If it is the rulebook's quite clear that it will apply to everything hit by the template:

An AOE attack's critical effect functions only with a direct hit, but every model under the template suffers the critical effect.

j78
06-18-2012, 07:15 AM
@solkan thanks for the quote, I should stop being lazy and just open the rule book once in a while.

@mastershake I thought I was simple enough myself, but since several other threads got locked as answered, and this one didn't, I was a bit curious.

Alviaran
06-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Good news everyone! The book has a Tactical Tip to answer the question!

Starburst - On a critical hit, all small-based non-warcaster models are removed from play

Ok, bad news for everyone but the Ret players.

possiblyarowbot
06-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Yay, we get something good too!