PDA

View Full Version : Collosal vs Molten Metal

Ger
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Collosal's appear to be Warjacks but have two grids. Does Molten Metal only affect one grid at a time for 6 damage? Or does it plink both for 12 total?

jandrese
06-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Molten metal states that a target warjack suffers 1 point of fire damage to each column on its damage grid.

I don't see anything that limits it to 6. Unless there is a specific rule in the Colossal rules section that didn't make it into NQ, I think it will take 12 damage from Molten metal.

SportsComedian
06-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Unless they errata it later, I'd say 12. That's definitely how it's written.

Ger
06-01-2012, 01:05 PM
The interpretation I can see for it doing 6 is that damage can only target one grid at a time and yadda yadda.

tankrandall
06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
The interpretation I can see for it doing 6 is that damage can only target one grid at a time and yadda yadda.

Doesn't exist (yet?).

Zeddy
06-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Didnt it also say in the rules that if the origin is from the left or right field of fire it can only target those grids? It would be interesting to see how this is ruled :)

solkan
06-01-2012, 08:42 PM
There's a good case from the rules on page 49 of NQ #42 that the effect will only apply to one or the other damage grid.

For two reasons:

Target warjack suffers 1 point of fire damage to each column of its damage grid.
(note the singular 'grid') and page 49 starts off with the simple statement:

Colosasals have two damage grids--right and left--but otherwise suffer damage like a smaller warjack. followed by a half dozen paragraphs explaining to which of the two damage grids you're supposed to apply the damage from an attack or rule.

Molten Metal's missing an 's' to change 'damage grid' into 'damage grids' and cause it to mark damage on both sides. That would mean 6 damage against a warjack, collosal or not.

nicholas_342
06-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, there's no gaurantee that the concept of colossals had two damage grids back when molten metal was written or even the possibility that there would be anything with 2 damage grids.

With that said, my guess is that it will only damage one side of the colossal simply because damage is only assigned to the side that the attack is coming from, and in the case of an attack originating from the very front and being able to draw line of sight to both halves, the attacker decides which side the damage get's applied to. That is paraphrased from the NQ #42.

Ger
06-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Yeah this is why I made the thread. I don't feel this situation is really covered by the rules and have no ideas what the intention is.

solkan
06-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Well, I think you're in a bit of a spot, then, because you're unlikely to get an Infernal ruling until the Colossals rulebook is actually published and in the stores. The Infernals don't typically comment on partially released rules, and there's at least one unpublished paragraph of colossal rules, the superstructure rules system.

Until then, I've said my part. Molten Metal tells you to mark damage on a singular 'damage grid' on a model that page 49 says has two damage grids, and page 49 conveniently tells you how to choose one of them to mark damage.

Valander
06-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Checking, though might not get a response until retail release.

Not So Feral
06-02-2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34jH06-9ZWE

RHQ TV looking at the rulebook, states that damage to a Colossal only happens to one side or the other, but if you do more damage to a grid than it can take, it will carry over. 08:30 is where discussion on the damage rules starts.

So I'd guess Molten Metal would only effect one grid at a time.

jandrese
06-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Another situation where this might occur is with Critical Amputation and Colossals with weapons on the Superstructure.

TravR
06-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Similar came up when discussing Precision Strike.

Valander
06-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Answer is Molten Metal only affects one grid. Determining which is covered by the regular rules for damaging Colossals.