PDA

View Full Version : Aphyxious the Hellbringer's Feat

Kommissar Golovko
06-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Apsyhxious the Hellbringer feat Rites of Shadow says:

"When an enemy model is forced, casts a spell, and/or spends one or more more focus or fury points while in Asphyxiousʼ control area, Asphyxious heals d3 damage point and gains 1 soul token."

Which is the correct interpretation?
1. Asphyxious the Hellbringer will get healed D3 and a soul token each time a model is forced; casts a spell; and/or uses focus/fury.
2. Asphyxious the Hellbringer will get healed D3 and a soul token when a model does any combination of being forced; casts a spell; and/or uses focus/fury.

Ex. A beast in Asphyxious the Hellbringer's control area and affected by the Hellbringer's feat is forced to use its animus and later uses fury to boost attack and damage during its activation.

So is it:
1. 3D3 heals and 3 soul tokens for the beast's activation or
2. 1D3 heal and 1 soul token for the beast's activation?

solkan
06-02-2012, 10:19 PM
As far as I can tell, the purpose of the "and/or" would be to cover simple cases like "Model X spends 5 focus to cast a spell" resulting in the ability triggering once.

But in your example, it would be option #1:
You force the model to use its animus, trigger the ability.
You use fury to boost an attack, trigger the ability.
You use fury to boost damage, trigger the ability.

In order for it to be option #2, there would have to be additional text specifying after which one of the multiple events the ability was supposed to occur.

Teleologica
06-06-2012, 04:24 AM
I agree that it appears to be option 2, but as the book is now actually out it would be nice to have confirmation.

I believe the tactical tip confirms that casting a spell of say COST 2 only triggers the feat once. But there are a lot of odd variations on what spending means.

I'd add to KG's examples above:

- Casting a spell without cost, then spending focus to boost (eg via Blood Boon)
- Pays the COST for a spell then spends to boost attack, then spends to boost damage - one, two, or three triggers?
- Forcing a beast for an offensive animus or some other non-melee/ranged attack eg Geomancy; then forcing to boost. Multiple forces or not?

Saraminss
06-06-2012, 04:56 AM
I believe that it is that each instance will trigger it... That said I mean that forcing to cast an animus would be one instance but boosting the effect would be 2 ...

Edit to add: that would be option 1in th op

DarkLegacy
06-06-2012, 05:25 AM
- Casting a spell without cost, then spending focus to boost (eg via Blood Boon)
2, one for the spell, one for the boost.

- Pays the COST for a spell then spends to boost attack, then spends to boost damage - one, two, or three triggers?
3, one for the spell and cost, one for the boost, one for the boost.

- Forcing a beast for an offensive animus or some other non-melee/ranged attack eg Geomancy; then forcing to boost. Multiple forces or not?
Multiple forces. Geomancy would only give one due to spell and force, but any boosts would give another.

poeticruse
06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Option 1. If it were option two, it would be worded as "For each model that <x/y/z>" (more like Amon's Synergy spell).

Kommissar Golovko
06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks! Good to know.

poeticruse
06-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Also, you gain it as it happens, not all at the end of the beasts activation.

If you forced a beast to cast its animus, Asphyxious heals d3.
Then you elect to boost the attack, he heals d3.
Then you hit him, elect to boost the damage. He heals d3.
He can't heal the damage done by the attack with the first two heals.

Alviaran
06-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Also, you gain it as it happens, not all at the end of the beasts activation.

If you forced a beast to cast its animus, Asphyxious heals d3.
Then you elect to boost the attack, he heals d3.
Then you hit him, elect to boost the damage. He heals d3.
He can't heal the damage done by the attack with the first two heals.

Would he heal at the time the boost was declared (and the cost paid?) or after the attack is resolved? So, beast uses animus, heals d3, boosts hit, heals d3, and then chooses to boost damage. Is that d3 going to happen when the cost is paid or after the damage from said boost is resolved?

Crate123
06-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Would he heal at the time the boost was declared (and the cost paid?) or after the attack is resolved? So, beast uses animus, heals d3, boosts hit, heals d3, and then chooses to boost damage. Is that d3 going to happen when the cost is paid or after the damage from said boost is resolved?

Depends which of triggers we are talking about.
Forced / spends fury or focus then yeah you heal immediatly, if its the "casts a spell" trigger then you have to wait till the spell is completely resolved.

Sobek
06-07-2012, 03:42 AM

From the wording, I'd be inclined to say that it happens at the time the cost is paid. Kind of like how pDoomy's feat works.

azaminkor
06-07-2012, 05:31 AM
So if a warcaster casts a spell would that be 2? 1 for spending focus and 1 for casting a spell.

Gamingdevil
06-07-2012, 05:33 AM
So if a warcaster casts a spell would that be 2? 1 for spending focus and 1 for casting a spell.

No, it only triggers once per occurrence, hence the "and/or".

DarkLegacy
06-07-2012, 05:42 AM
No, it only triggers once per occurrence, hence the "and/or".

Exactly. The model cast a spell and spent focus, causing the trigger to only happen once.

Teleologica
06-07-2012, 08:26 AM

The way I read Poeticruse's sequence (and FWIW I think this is correct :D) is that when the attacker 'elects' to boost, ie declares it and pays the Focus or Fury, or forces, Gaspy heals. So you can heal damage from a previous attack/whatever but not from the 'current' one.

Valander
06-07-2012, 08:34 AM
The way I read Poeticruse's sequence (and FWIW I think this is correct :D) is that when the attacker 'elects' to boost, ie declares it and pays the Focus or Fury, or forces, Gaspy heals. So you can heal damage from a previous attack/whatever but not from the 'current' one.
Poeticruse is an Infernal, so by definition his sequence is correct. ;)