PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion Sweep with Vyros's Bird's Eye

Baptism By Ice
06-02-2012, 09:29 PM
In short, when Hyperion performs a Sweep power attack when included in either Vyros's battlegroup, does he attack everything in a 360° around him? Relevant citations:

Bird's Eye - While in this model's control area, models in its battlegroup extend their front arcs 360° and when determining LOS ignore cloud effects, forest terrain, and intervening models.

Sweep - This model makes one melee attack with the weapon against each model in the weapon's field of fire that is within the model's 2" melee range.

Unless I'm interpreting that wrong (which is somewhat likely), each arm no longer has just a 90° arc, but rather extends to 360°, and thus Sweep would hit everything near Hyperion. Or... not? Help?

(PS: I swear I already tried searching for this, but I'm apparently the worst PP forums search-user EVAR, so sorry if this has been already answered.)

Edwars
06-02-2012, 09:35 PM
From my understanding, while birds eye grants 360 degree line of sight, the arc of the colossal's weapon remains 90 degrees

solkan
06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Well, the odd thing is, there's a closed thread about half a page down, https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?109682-Birds-Eye-and-Fields-of-FIre&p=1468283&viewfull=1#post1468283 but as far as I can tell it's wrong because the discussion leaves out the definition of Left and Right arcs for a colossal. It doesn't matter whether a model is directly facing something or not, it matters where the left and right arc are.

However, there's a good chance that you're not going to see an Infernal ruling until the book gets officially released in July.

Thenmy
06-02-2012, 10:51 PM
I think it's neither but rather a 180° arc to the side. Field of fire effectively prohibits Hyperion from attacking to the side, but Bird's Eye allows him to extend his 90° to include the other 90° in his back arc. He can see 360°, but his weapons have additional limitations.

So if the enemy is mostly massed in your front, you could just turn sideways and perform what is effectively a *Thresher attack.

NEoJoe
06-03-2012, 12:43 AM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?109682-Birds-Eye-and-Fields-of-FIre

Baptism By Ice
06-03-2012, 05:18 AM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?109682-Birds-Eye-and-Fields-of-FIre

Well, guess I'm not only terrible at searching but blind as well. Suppose we'll just need to ask again in a month or two... Thanks!

Mastershake
06-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Well, the odd thing is, there's a closed thread about half a page down, https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?109682-Birds-Eye-and-Fields-of-FIre&p=1468283&viewfull=1#post1468283 but as far as I can tell it's wrong because the discussion leaves out the definition of Left and Right arcs for a colossal. It doesn't matter whether a model is directly facing something or not, it matters where the left and right arc are.

However, there's a good chance that you're not going to see an Infernal ruling until the book gets officially released in July.

As I pointed out, Left and Right are defined by facing and having a 360 means you are considered to be both facing and directly facing all models. The Fields of FIre are there, but everything is going to be in both because they are considered to be on the line between them.

solkan
06-03-2012, 09:33 AM
The part I'm missing is an Infernal clarification (or rules text) stating that if you are (by definition) directly facing some model, then (by definition) that model is in both the L and R arcs.

It seems fairly obvious that it should work that way, but Warmachine does have the occasional "Ignore geometry and do this" rule.

NEoJoe
06-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Right, but when a thread is locked, I think that means there is nothing to add to it.

Macxdmg
01-29-2015, 01:48 PM
FoF is marked on the base and front arc and FoF just usually happen to overlap, they do not in the case of Hyperion / Vyros 1&2. Unless there is a ruling I've missed by an infernal.

DarkLegacy
01-29-2015, 01:51 PM
Do not necromancy old threads. Posts unread.