PDA

View Full Version : Question about Infernal Contraption 2nd Ed terminals

Spleen Hammer
06-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Heya,
I just picked up IC for my my 13 year old (loved it!) and there was a brief argument about that constitutes a terminal. I think that a terminal is the last card in the main line, with or without plugs. I look at as the definition of a terminal of a train line, literally the end of the line. The contraption is called a main line, hence my interpretation. My son says that a terminal is any card that is plugged in to the contraption. So a plug would be a terminal. A contraption card plugged in to the main line would be a terminal. Perhaps even a power core could theoretically be a terminal by that definition.

So, which is it? Neither? Anyone know the scoop on this? Thanks a bunch!

Spleen Hammer

Mod_Donaldbain
06-30-2012, 07:32 PM
According to the original rules:

A terminal is any card in the machine attached at only one socket regardless of where in the machine it is attached.

Whimper
08-26-2012, 04:46 PM
That is correct for the 2nd Edition as well. This means the OP's son is correct: the ends of the main line are terminals, and all plugs are terminals as well.

GrandMcMuf
10-13-2012, 02:51 AM
what about the main power core? if it is open is it a valid target for a terminal?

Whimper
10-14-2012, 10:20 AM
The main core is a terminal if it is the end of the main line. However, it is immune to effects that would remove it from your machine.

azoxystrobin
01-04-2014, 07:41 AM
So what about a contraption at the end of the line, it's a terminal.
If it has stuff plugged into it, top/bottom, then is it still a terminal?
It is still attached to the machine by only one socket.

So, if it is a terminal despite having that sweet upgrade plugged into the top, when it gets removed, the upgrade is removed too, right?

Carnage
02-13-2014, 08:16 AM
If it has an upgrade plugged in, it's not a terminal, because it's attached to two cards. The upgrade would be a terminal, though.