PDA

View Full Version : Khador Widowmakers question...

Crimsus
07-02-2012, 06:26 PM
After plotting and planning I decided to buy a unit of Khador Widowmakers.

I have a question regarding the Sniper ability.

In the Khador faction book on page 101 is the Widowmakers.

The Sniper ability says that when I damage a 'jack or 'beast that I choose what column or branch that suffers. That makes sense to me. The next part I'm uncertain about.

The next line says, "Instead of rolling damage on a ranged attack, this model can inflict 1 damage point."

To me, that line implies that I have the option of rolling, possibly doing more damage or none at all, OR I can have the model just do 1 damage.

Which is it? Do I have the option to roll for damage or am I forced to only inflict 1 point of damage?

Thanks in advance!

-Crimsus

Dacian
07-02-2012, 06:32 PM
You have the option.

Falkman
07-02-2012, 06:34 PM
You can choose between rolling or automatically inflicting one point of damage. Note that if you choose to roll you can't change that into an automatic point of damage if you roll badly.
Whenever an ability says you "can" do something it's optional, if it uses the word "must" it's not optional.

Karl Eller
07-03-2012, 02:35 AM
You answered your own question: The word "can" means it's optional. You can choose (before rolling any damage dice) to either automatically inflict one point of damage or to roll for damage as normal. If you HAD to do it, the rule would have said "must" instead of "can".

Mustakrakish
07-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Also, it should be said, that option isn't limited to jacks and beasts. Snipers are the bane to high ARM single wound troops. Playing against a Menoth player with some Iron Zeal arm 18 troops? Do a point and watch them drop.

Shinji
07-04-2012, 06:43 AM
Oh, I like. Thanks for telling me this. I fear for the vitality of my daughter's solos even more now.