PDA

View Full Version : Hot Shot plus Mule

gomu ningen
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
So the question is, if you get a crit with a mule that has hot shot on it is the throw damage boosted?

Michael
07-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Target model in this model's battlegroup gains boosted ranged attack damage rolls.

On a critical hit, instead of suffering a normal damage roll, each model in the AOE is thrown... The model directly hit by the attack suffers a POW 15 damage roll. ...

Hmm. I will have to say "No", because Critical Devastation specifies "instead of suffering a normal damage roll". Hot Shot applies to the model's ranged attack damage rolls, and Crit Devastation happens instead of this.

(Checking for further evidence....)

Looking at the timing chart on pg. 245, it would appear that Critical Devastation triggers at Step 9, while the Hot Shot damage portion would apply during step 10.

So, the models have already been thrown and suffered their damage during step 9, before Hot Shot would ever do anything.

That's my take on it, at least. A forum search didn't turn up anything. Any other thoughts out there?

gomu ningen
07-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I agree with you but was hoping to be wrong....lol. would love those throws to be boosted

Ger
07-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Depends entirely on whether the substitution (instead of) removes "ranged" from the damage type.

vintersbastard
07-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Depends entirely on whether the substitution (instead of) removes "ranged" from the damage type.

I don't see any reason why it would. The throw is caused by a ranged attack, so it's ranged attack damage (just like a power attack throw still causes melee attack damage).

Themainmenoth
07-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I don't see any reason why it would. The throw is caused by a ranged attack, so it's ranged attack damage (just like a power attack throw still causes melee attack damage).

I would have to agree with this, Since it is in fact the result of a Ranged attack, the damage rolls would then be labeled as such, A similar example is how a model with Iron Aggression gets boosted hit dice on every attack even though IA states only Melee attacks get boosted. Such wording would incline either it applies to "only" a melee weapon, or Any form of attack that happens in melee (and is labeled melee, so not you Gun fighter) However since the throw is from a Ranged attack, This would include any boosted rolls since the effect is that of a ranged attack, if that makes any sense.

empryme
07-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Rereading the keyed quotes above about Critical Devastation (Thank you Michael ^_^), I am inclined to agree with vinterbastard and Themainmenoth. The damage is still the result of a ranged attack; however, upon the critical hit, it now becomes a ranged throw damage roll. What is important to note, in terms of the damage, is that the non-direct hit targets no longer suffer blast damage; they are now suffering (ranged) throw damage instead.

baronvonchaos
07-05-2012, 09:44 AM
So in short, the critical damage is still from a ranged attack, thus Hot Shot applies to the AOE damage, but not the collateral damage.

Ger
07-05-2012, 12:34 PM
That's what my gut's saying for what it's worth. It also saying it's hungry...

empryme
07-05-2012, 05:33 PM
So in short, the critical damage is still from a ranged attack, thus Hot Shot applies to the AOE damage, but not the collateral damage.

Yes. Thank you for the covering the collateral damage too, by the way ^_^