PDA

View Full Version : Trample Question

Kaoshin
07-06-2012, 03:44 AM
I'm sure this question has been answered before, but I couldn't fight the exact question I was looking for with a search so I"m hoping just asking it will get me a relatively prompt reply in time for my next game. I've never been much of a user of trample in large part because its relatively complicated, but with the synergy of 3vlad and the gun carriage in that regard I want to get a little verification. One of my roommates believes trample only lets you trample one model, and this doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I've ready the rule entry but figure it's best to have a consensus I can point to as well. So please tell me if I'm understanding this right.

When a heavy jack/warbeast/battle engine tramples it moves upto its SPD + 3" and must stop able to completely fit its base in the space in which it stops. The only models that can be trappled are models with small bases, and every base it touched during the course of that trampling it then makes an attack upon. I'm aware free strikes also get taken on the trampler, but for the purposes of what i"ll be doing Dash will be involved rendering the gun carriage immune to free strikes. Is my above summary correct? Are multiple small bases able to be affected by trample as long as a medium or large base is not encountered?

Thanks!

Iff
07-06-2012, 03:49 AM
Yes, you're (mostly) correct. See this quote from the latest errata, which gives the current rules for the models that you can attack during a trample. (emphasis mine)

After the warjack has finished its trample movement, it makes a melee attack against each small-based model through which it moved during this movement.

Also note: I've taken the quote from the errata, becuase trample was changed slightly. In Prime, you could make an attack against each small-bases model that you touched during the trample move, now you have to actually move through their base to make an attack. Still, trample has never been limited to just one target. Your room mate is simply wrong in that regard.

Crate123
07-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Yes you make an attack roll against every small base you moved over during your trample. Do note however that Dash does not make Battle Engines immune to free strikes, Dash only affects warrior models.

shadowsword751
07-06-2012, 05:26 AM
Also, anything that your model moves over cannot make a free strike.

Asagauth
07-06-2012, 06:58 AM
when you say move over, its all of the trample model base over the small model base, or only a portion of the base need to be obscured in order to make an attack to the small model, i made a graphic in case my you dont understand my english =P

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/107/picture1erf.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/picture1erf.png/)

arkol
07-06-2012, 07:39 AM
"Over" in this case means "partially over". It's the same as within and completely within.

Valander
07-06-2012, 08:05 AM
when you say move over, its all of the trample model base over the small model base, or only a portion of the base need to be obscured in order to make an attack to the small model, i made a graphic in case my you dont understand my english =P

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/107/picture1erf.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/picture1erf.png/)
"Move over" meaning any part of the base. So in that diagram, trample attacks would be made against 1, 2, 4, but not 3, and 3 would (assuming the trampling model moved through its front arc) be able to make a free strike.

Xavier319
07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Actually no Kao, i was talking about cavalry impact hits, not trampling. Since that was what you asked me about before when we spoke of this kind of thing about a month ago. I'm well aware trampling can be done to multiple models. Simply a misunderstanding of what you were talking about. (This is his roommate btw heh)

Asomdeus
07-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Even with Impact hits you make an attack against each model within range, cavalry attacks have a .5 inch range.