PDA

View Full Version : Trample question

Nakatan
07-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Hello. Are models, killed by trample, `models, killed by melee attack`, and can they trigger Hoarluk`s Goad? can Goad be triggered by models, killed by throw?

vintersbastard
07-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Power attacks are melee attacks (cf. Prime, p. 51), so the answer is yes.

Nakatan
07-07-2012, 09:12 AM
ok with the trample, but the throw is not an attack (p. 55. hordes brb)

vintersbastard
07-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Throws are power attacks, just like all the others. You're probably thinking of the second part of a doublehand throw, i.e. the throwing a model at another model to determine point of impact. This latter part (and only this) is not an attack, which means the thrown model is destroyed by an attack, but everybody else is destroyed by collateral damage.

solkan
07-07-2012, 09:56 AM

I'm not sure what you're trying to quote there, since page 55 of Primal Mk II is end of the double-hand throw rules.

The sections for Throw and Double-Hand Throw start out
A model making a double-hand throw power attack uses ... or

A model making a throw power attack ...

You may wish to clarify whether you're asking about throw power attacks, effects which happen to throw models, or collateral damage.

Power attacks are, by definition, attacks. So a throw power attack (which is how most models would perform a throw), would by definition be an attack.

Nakatan
07-07-2012, 10:05 AM
i interested in double-hand throw. and p. 55 says `a double-hand throw at another model is not an attack against a model`. so, i wanted to know, can model, killed by double hand throw at it (i.e. collateral damage from it) trigger goad, and can model, killed by the DH-throw itself (thrown model) trigger goad.

solkan
07-07-2012, 10:18 AM
i interested in double-hand throw. and p. 55 says `a double-hand throw at another model is not an attack against a model`. so, i wanted to know, can model, killed by double hand throw at it (i.e. collateral damage from it) trigger goad, and can model, killed by the DH-throw itself (thrown model) trigger goad.

Collateral damage will not trigger goad because collateral damage, everywhere the term is defined, includes the words:

Collateral damage is not considered to be damage from an attack or model.
Therefore, if a model is destroyed by collateral damage, no attack or model did it, making it impossible for collateral damage to trigger goad.

There's even an 'For example' on page 54:

For example, an effect triggered by being "damaged by an enemy attack" would not trigger due to collateral damage.

If you pick up Model A, and throw or double-hand throw it at Model B and hit B:
The throw does damage to model A. This throw damage is caused by the melee attack.
Collateral damage occurs to Model B. This collateral damage is not caused by the melee attack.

Destroy model A above, and Goad will trigger. Destroying Model B above will not trigger Goad.