PDA

View Full Version : Galleon Formation Benefit

NotInKansas1911
07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
So one of the Unbound formations for Mercenaries is Square-Rigged. If there are two Galleons they gain assault. All things considered this is nasty in its own right, but I need a little clarification regarding its interaction with Harpoon Cannon.

Typically, assault can be used to get off a ranged attack even on a failed charge (thinking Carnivean benefiting from assault).

Consider this though:
Galleon charges a model outside of its range. It is benefiting from Assault due to Square Rigged in an unbound game.
Galleon uses Harpoon Cannon as its ranged weapon, does damage, and drags the target into melee range.
Galleon makes one normal melee attack associated with the Drag effect on the harpoon cannon.
The Galleon is now in melee range. Was this a failed charge because of the conditions prior to using the harpoon cannon (and thus cannot make any more melee attacks) or is this a successful charge?

Rynth
07-12-2012, 10:28 AM
I would guess it would be a failed charge since Assault says "after movement" and creates its own window to happen for failed charge purposes before the activation ends.

Mastershake
07-12-2012, 10:28 AM
So one of the Unbound formations for Mercenaries is Square-Rigged. If there are two Galleons they gain assault. All things considered this is nasty in its own right, but I need a little clarification regarding its interaction with Harpoon Cannon.

Typically, assault can be used to get off a ranged attack even on a failed charge (thinking Carnivean benefiting from assault).

Consider this though:
Galleon charges a model outside of its range. It is benefiting from Assault due to Square Rigged in an unbound game.
Galleon uses Harpoon Cannon as its ranged weapon, does damage, and drags the target into melee range.
Galleon makes one normal melee attack associated with the Drag effect on the harpoon cannon.
The Galleon is now in melee range. Was this a failed charge because of the conditions prior to using the harpoon cannon (and thus cannot make any more melee attacks) or is this a successful charge?

By definition it's not going to be a successful charge, but TBH I'm not sure how drag interacts. My initial thought is you get the one attack specified in the drag rule and your activation ends simply because it's a trigger that occurs on a successful drag while the additional melee attacks aren't triggered by the ability, it's just a clarification so you can make the drag shot and continue to attack the target in melee if successful.

Michael
07-13-2012, 04:53 PM
A charging model that ends its charge movement with its charge target in its melee range has mad a successful charge. (Emphasis in the original.)

If a charging model ends its charge movement without its charge target in its melee range, then it has made a failed charge. If a model makes a failed charge during its activation, its activation immediately ends.(Emphasis in the original.)

... If the target is not in melee range after moving, the model with Assault can make the Assault ranged attack before its activation ends.

If this weapon damages an enemy model with an equal or smaller base, immediately after the attack is resolved the damaged model can be pushed any distance directly toward this model. After the damaged model is moved, this model can make one normal melee attack against the model pushed. After resolving this melee attack, this model can make additional melee attacks during its combat action. (Emphasis mine)

Drag triggers during step 11-2 on the timing chart in Prime MK II pg 245.

It would appear that Galleon's activation ends after the Assault ranged attack. Galleon would not get to make additional melee attacks due to Drag because it no longer has a combat action; its activation has ended immediately after making the Assault ranged attack.

However, because Drag does not specify that it must occur during the model with Drag's activation, the model can still be pushed toward the model with Drag.

That's what I'm sticking with, at least, unless somebody comes along and tells me I'm wrong. :p

Mr. Golden Deal
07-13-2012, 05:03 PM
It would appear that Galleon's activation ends after the Assault ranged attack. Galleon would not get to make additional melee attacks due to Drag because it no longer has a combat action; its activation has ended immediately after making the Assault ranged attack.

However, because Drag does not specify that it must occur during the model with Drag's activation, the model can still be pushed toward the model with Drag.

That's what I'm sticking with, at least, unless somebody comes along and tells me I'm wrong. :p
Making the melee attack immediately after the Drag isn't conditional on it being the attacking model's activation or combat action, though. You could drag off of a Broadside attack, for instance, so at the very least you could Assault, shoot the harpoon, Drag, and then make one melee attack.

Michael
07-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Eh, good point. I'll buy that. Nothing in Drag specifies that the attack has to happen during the Drag model's activation.