PDA

View Full Version : Flashing blade after charging a friendly model

lobachevskii
07-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Suppose a warcaster declares a charge targeting a friendly model and that the charge movement is completed successfully. Before beginning its combat action the warcaster casts Flashing Blade:

This model immediately makes one normal attack with one of its melee weapons against each enemy model in its LOS that is in the weapon's melee range. These attacks are simultaneous.

The attacks granted by Flashing Blade target enemy models but the charge rules require that the first attack made after the charge must target the model charged.

Does this situation trigger the final paragraph of the charge rules?

If the charging model cannot make its first melee attack against the charge target, the charging model can make its first melee attack against another eligible target, but this is not a charge attack. It does not lose its first attack.

Or is it simply illegal to cast Flashing blade after charging a friendly model?

Or something else that I haven't thought of?

Dawnlord Ed
07-18-2012, 09:12 AM
You are being a hair too literal with the meaning of "first."

A better understanding would replace "first" with "first initial attack."

If you charge a model, and successfully complete the charge, you may cast Flashing Blade before attacking. However, upon resolution of Flashing Blade, you are required to resume the charge action as though the spell was not cast because your initial attack(s) are still availible to you. That means if the charge target is still alive you make your charge attack as normal.

Bishop84
07-18-2012, 09:14 AM
I see no reason why this wouldn't work. You can cast spells after the charge movement, but before the charge attack. After the spell resolves, you'll go back and resolve the charge attack, in this case assuming your charge target is still alive. If it's not, then you just go about making initial (non charge) attacks as normal.

SageofLodoss
07-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Flashing Blade is a spell, so you can cast it after making the charge move but before making your attack. Attacks generated by Flashing Blade will delay your charge attack. That's fine. Afterwards though, if you charged a friendly model like you did in this scenario, and he's still there after the spell's resolution, you have to then attack him with the charge attack.

solkan
07-18-2012, 09:30 AM
I think the existence of that last paragraph does mean that

The charging model's first attack after ending its charge moment must target the model it charged.
has an effective if possible applied to it.

On the other hand, I expect that this works out like the charge-admonition-counter charge sequence where the interruption of the normal sequence of events to do some other attack in no way eliminates the mandate to perform your charge attack against your charge target. But charage-admonition-counter counter charge doesn't cause the "Can I interrupt my charge to attack someone else?" paradox because counter charge won't trigger with the original charge target in range, so it's not an entirely effective precedent.

So I expect that it works out as:
1. Perform charge movement.
2. Cast Flashing Blade and resolve those attacks.
3. Start your combat action and resolve the charge attack.
Or it's not allowed because of the "must target the model it charged" clause.

Edit: I think PG_Dawnlord Ed probably has the right sort of idea, now that I see his post. "first attack after ending its charge movement" should effectively mean "first melee attack of the combat action after ending its charge movement".

poeticruse
07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
The correct resolution is to cast the spell, resolve it, and then resume resolving things as before. The rules try to cover this clearly and unambiguously, but also succinctly. So yes, interruptions do things that don't "sound" fully covered by the rules. But resolve the interruption, optional or mandatory, and then resume resolution.

lobachevskii
07-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Cheers all, that makes sense now.