PDA

View Full Version : Question on Eliven in the following situation

WolfpackEE
07-22-2012, 04:37 PM
I (PoM) was playing against Cryx yesterday. He has a Malice that used his harpoon to damage my warjack. As a result, he used Drag to pull the jack to itself and make a melee attack. That also did damage so then he wanted, to use Possession and take over the jack to advance and make an attack with my warjack.

Here's my question, in that situation, if my warjack has Enliven on it, when does Enliven trigger?

WolfpackEE
07-22-2012, 04:49 PM
I just happened to see this post with the exact same question
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?115637-How-immediate-is-immediate-and-if-multiple-things-are-immediate-which-happens-first

So it looks like Enliven happens after I first take damage but before I am dragged.

solkan
07-22-2012, 05:16 PM
This topic has come up a few times, I'm a bit surprised that there aren't any locked or confirmed responses to it. So let's see if I can get the event sequence right...

Drag is an ability that generates a melee attack, so all of its interesting effects get resolved at step 12.d of the timing chart.

Possession is an effect that generates a melee attack, so if the player chooses to spend a focus point when resolving effects triggered by hitting a model, the possession effect (moving and making an attack) also get resolved at step 12.d of the timing chart.

Enliven does not generate a melee attack, so it's going to trigger on 12.b or 12.c depending on whose effect it is. Since probably weren't the active player when you got shot, that would be 12.c. Note: Enliven only triggers on the "next time that it suffers damage" so while you don't have to choose to use it, you only get the one opportunity. See https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?9380-The-Vassal-s-Enliven&p=149269&viewfull=1#post149269

So the sequence of events would be:
1. Your model gets hit and damaged. That satisfies the trigger conditions for both Drag and Enliven, "queuing up" their effects.
2. You go through the rest of the damage sequence, and finally get to Step 12.
3. Resolve Enliven at 12.c, if you use it.
4. Resolve the push and the extra melee attack from Drag at 12.d. This sends you through the Attack Main Sequence a second time.
5. Assuming the melee attack from Drag hit, then at Step 9 the Cryx player gets the option to spend the focus point to "take control of the warjack".
6. Resolve the second sentence of Possession at 12.d, if it was paid for.

Edit: Ninja'd by OP? :confused:

Valander
07-22-2012, 06:59 PM
Yup, the timing appendix covers all of this, and Solkan has the flow correct above.

And since he got ninjaed by the op, I'll go ahead and lock to prevent any space-time disturbances.